Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:09 AM
SDBigDog1955

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Ed's Red / Mobil 1 oil/grease

Anyone use Ed's red for cleaning your shotgun barrels, rifle bore and gun parts?
Mix 4 equal parts in a glass container and keep away from the wood stocks and fore arms:

Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF

Mineral Spirts, in the steal cans

Acetone

Deodorized Kerosene

Then lube with Mobil 1 Synthetic oil and grease moving parts with Mobil Synthetic grease. Cost is minimal. Just purchase container for the oil with a small port and put the grease in a syringes, like the one u use to season food.

I watched a video on using 4 - 0 steel wool on a brush attached to a drill to clean the barrels and they used Ed's Red as the cleaning compound. This removed all the plastic from wads and power / carbon build ups. Once I get a good rod to use with a drill/brush I'm goin got try this. Something u should do every 1500 to 2000 rounds.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:30 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I won't mix chemicals when cleaners are already available for removing 'everything' including plastic from shotgun bores IME. JMO
Old 02-26-2019, 10:49 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A friend just gave me a mason jar of the stuff. I politely thanked him. Iím saving it to use as a Molotov Cocktail when the Zombies come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 11:06 AM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
been using the Ed's red formula for many years less the acetone ( used to remove plastic residue in shotgun barrels ) + I find it equal to or better than any commercial products I have tried -
Old 02-26-2019, 11:08 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I haven't tried it to clean with but its a great tire prep for burris tires on dry/slick tracks.
Todd
Old 02-26-2019, 11:10 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've used many variant's of the formula, but I still mainly use Hoppe's No. 9 as my go to solvent for bore cleaning. I think it is a better solvent in general. Extreme leading or copper deposits are a different story. I do use a 70/30% mix of MS and ATF as a lubricant for bolts and actions. When the MS flashes off it leaves just the right amount of lubricant on the moving parts IMHO.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:31 AM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I mixed up a batch back in the 90s when I was buying a bunch of milsurps with cruddy bores. But for all my other guns I use standard gun chemicals like Hoppes#9 and G96 Complete Gun Spray. Besides I clean in my basement and Eds Red is a little too flammable to be evaporating around a gas clothes dryer, water heater and furnace.

Last edited by scooter22; 02-26-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:59 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Iirc, Ed Harris made that up to duplicate a commercial or mi-spec product no longer available? Ime, I pretty much know I can take his advice on gun-stuff.
That said, some of the formula seemed redundant to me; ie, the Kero is a solvent with light lubricating properties, the ATF is a great lube with many anti-oxidents, the MS is a solvent (more refined petro than the Kero) and the Acetone even more so, both with little lube properties.
So I simplified the formula for MY purposes (as I dont 'need' the Acetone to cut plastic) by first trying ATF and MS 50/50. Seemed a little 'thick' so I went to 1/3 ATF to 2/3 MS, and it is jussttt right. I use it as a basic gun cleaning solvent and wipe as well as on tools. If I need a heavy duty cutter I tend to grab the Laquer Thinner )as I dont keep a can of Acetone around any more) then follow up with the modified E-Red.
Ive had some small bottles of specialty 'gun' products on the bench for decades that dont seem to do any better; I use a bit from time to time but think they will outlast me.
All bottles/cans of stuff are kept capped when not in use and there is no smoking in my place. Volitile fumes do not accumulate in my shop, anything requiring lots of solvents is done outside. If the place burns down a few bottles/cans of solvents flashing off I think wont matter much..../

Last edited by gcrank1; 02-26-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:02 PM
thesandman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I use Ed,s red formula minus the lanolin. Works better than store bought stuff. However I recently purchased some wipe out, patch out and accelerator. Jury still out on them.

Last edited by thesandman; 02-26-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a mix of atf/acetone in a mason jar with a lid.Drop a cylinder or two in there for a few days and give em a scrubbing
Old 02-26-2019, 08:34 PM
ky-n

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a modified version Ed's Red for cleaning and it seems to me to work as well or better than the store bought. I mix it without acetone and a small amount with lanolin for lubricating bolts. I substitute Kroil for the kerosene and Goo Gone for the mineral spirits. What few time I do use acetone it is a very tiny batch for cleaning the shotgun bores only.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Never been real comfortable with those Mason jars for flammables......even the little, seeming heavy duty, bottles stuff like Hoppe's No.9 comes (came?) in make me a bit nervous but I do have a thick fatigue mat at the bench and they are small.
Iirc the data sheet on Goo Gone says the 'active ingredient' is acetone?, and way more expensive than a can of acetone per ounce.

Last edited by gcrank1; 02-26-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:43 AM
gas_gunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Ralph Walker, a well known shotgun shotgun gunsmith back in the day used to recommend the drill and 0000 steel wool. I tried it on my .410 Double Barrel back in the 80s. It worked fantastic, very quickly, never hurt the bore, either. Haven't had a shotgun since then, till I got my Franchi 48 AL 28 gauge last year. I cleaned it a time or two in a conventional manner thinking "this is for the birds". I am going to eventually go back to the Steel Wool.

Can't comment too much on Ed's Red. I made it once, used it mostly for M1 and M14 Clone gas systems where I did not want to use expensive bore cleaner. It should be great for shotguns where the bore size causes you to use a lot of solvent and there is no metal fouling issue to worry about. I should consider mixing some for that.

Danny
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBigDog1955 View Post
Anyone use Ed's red for cleaning your shotgun barrels, rifle bore and gun parts?
Mix 4 equal parts in a glass container and keep away from the wood stocks and fore arms:

Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF

Mineral Spirts, in the steal cans

Acetone

Deodorized Kerosene

Then lube with Mobil 1 Synthetic oil and grease moving parts with Mobil Synthetic grease. Cost is minimal. Just purchase container for the oil with a small port and put the grease in a syringes, like the one u use to season food.

I watched a video on using 4 - 0 steel wool on a brush attached to a drill to clean the barrels and they used Ed's Red as the cleaning compound. This removed all the plastic from wads and power / carbon build ups. Once I get a good rod to use with a drill/brush I'm goin got try this. Something u should do every 1500 to 2000 rounds.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2019, 05:00 PM
ky-n

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Iirc the data sheet on Goo Gone says the 'active ingredient' is acetone?, and way more expensive than a can of acetone per ounce.
No acetone in Goo Gone, here is from the MSDS

Section 3: COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Ingredient CAS # Wt. %
Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light 64742-47-8 60 - 100
d-Limonene 5989-27-5 1 - 5
Orange sweet extract 8028-48-6 0.5 - 1.5
Old 03-02-2019, 05:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Goof-Off and Goo-Gone get me
I think the Goof-Off is the heavy-duty one, more solvents? while the Goo-Gone is more oily. The MDS sheet shows 'distillates(petroleum)', that could be any number of things from basic kerosene to acetone? And as the first listed ingredient maybe 90% of the whole?
Ol' George would have told us, or maybe did if we take a look.
Iirc those labels/sheets start out with the highest concentrations and work down to the least and whenever petroleum distillates is up in the top Ive probably already got a bulk supply of it.