Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:05 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
First trip with the new PPQ .22

I reciently purchased a PPQ M2 .22 on a whim ( just becasue you don't see them around here that often.) The gun was unfired in the box so I was expecting some break in hic-ups . I was hoping that it would eventually run beter than the last two P22's I owned. ( The P22's both being disapointing and long traded.)
I'm happy to say my worries were unfounded. The PPQ not only had the best out of the box trigger I've felt on a sub $1000 .22 pistol, it ate everythng I brought along without one single stoppage of any kind. CCI Mini mags, Fed Auto match, CCI Blazer, CCI Standard, Federal Gold Medel match and even some unknown stuff rolling around in the bottom of the range bag. Ergonomics were great and the sights excellent. Accuracy was pretty darn good too. This one is a keeper!
Old 02-22-2019, 10:29 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not a lot of Members here or at the Walther Forum seem to have this pistol. Way, way back we were asking for a 5" P22 with a five inch slide and no problematic stabilizer.....we even had a photoshopped version of what it would look like. Walther never made it. But they did with this full size pistol. All the reviews I read are very good. I've not fired one. I have shot the similar S&W M&P .22 that Walther makes for Smith. The compact is made by S&W. The Walther made Smith ran fine and was accurate.

So it comes as no surprise that this one gets good reviews. The barrel looks pretty much the same as the 5" P22 barrel. I wonder if the same barrel is used. I haven't looked at the part numbers to compare. Seems the Smith has a take down lever that flips down to allow the guide rod to move rearward for removal of the slide whereas the PPQ has a take down lever similar to the P22. They each work well but the Walther version looks nicer in my opinion.

If you have a small digital scale I would be interested in what the slide weighs in either ounces or grams. You can purchase such scales for $12 or $15 at Walmart. I find them pretty accurate. The are just a flat piece of glass on top, usually black with a digital readout. Unfortunately for my hand size, I believe this pistol grip is the exact same size as the CF PPQs and the P99.....all of which are just a bit too large for my hand. I have a P99. Keep us posted on how it shoots. 1917

Our mock up 5" P22. And a funny story of about 15 years ago. A Member here walked into a Cabelas around Christmas...looked at their sales flyer and there was a 5" PP for sale....in fact, the exact photoshopped version that they had lifted from our thread here. Being in the know....he marched back to the gun counter and demanded one. I think after a careful search they determined they had sold out. We had a laugh about that. Note the target sights and three slots. The slots were eventually added but not the dovetail target sight option. All the beans seem to now be going to the PPQ .22. And, why not.

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 02-22-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:05 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have all kinds of scales so I'll offer up what I found.

Total gun weight is 1#, 5.7 oz. (Decievingly light for it's size.)

Slide itself weights in at 5.2oz.

While I was at it, I weighed the trigger on my Lyman scale. The trigger breaks consistantly and crisply at 4# 12 oz+/- 1 oz. It's actually feels much lighter though as the take-up on the trigger takes 3# 3 oz. It "feels" like less than 2# for a clean break once the slack is out. The trigger is better than any sub $500 pistol has a right to be!

As for size, it's supposedly modeled after a full sized 5" PPQ M2 in 9mm. I don't have one of those (yet) to compare it too but will say that the Talon grip tape set for the PPQ 9mm fit on nicely. I can also say that the grip feels "goldielocks" right in my Medium/Medium large hand. ( I take a Medium glove with most brands) The controls fall right where they should without having go to fish for them.
Honestly, I usually shoot a 5" S&W M&P Pro (with small backstrap installed) and am thinking I may now need a PPQ M2 9mm to add to the collection. It feels that good!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2019, 07:58 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In that case the slide is the same weight as the one on the P22, breech block installed. I notice the recoil spring is different. The guide rod looks like the one in the Smith if I remember correctly. The P22 uses a wound coil spring.

I'm going to look up the part number for the barrel to see if it is the same. How does the sear work? On the Smith the top of the hammer is caught...if I recall correctly.

Those are some good looking Rugers...really like the light weight 22/45. 1917
Old 02-24-2019, 01:11 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
In that case the slide is the same weight as the one on the P22, breech block installed. I notice the recoil spring is different. The guide rod looks like the one in the Smith if I remember correctly. The P22 uses a wound coil spring.

I'm going to look up the part number for the barrel to see if it is the same. How does the sear work? On the Smith the top of the hammer is caught...if I recall correctly.

Those are some good looking Rugers...really like the light weight 22/45. 1917
Thanks for the compliment on the Rugers. A Ruger Standard was my firstahnd gun in1973 so they run deep with me. I tend to accumulate more and more of these as time goes on. I'm a big fan of the new MK IV platform in particular.
On the PPQ sear, I'd have to go take a look . That said, everything I read is that the PPQ and M&P.22's are near identical in internal design and mechanics.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:14 PM
ViperR

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Any pot metal/zinc alloy/Zamax on this pistol like the P22? Or is the slide aluminum with a real steel breech block inserted like on the Ruger SR22? What about the receiver metal that holds the serial # and the internals to the plastic grip frame?
Old 02-24-2019, 07:44 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No Viper, I don't think so. I think the slide is aluminum. I haven't fired one and I can't find the data site Walther used to have linked that showed all the dimensions, weights, capacity, striker or hammer, grip diameter, etc. of each pistol they are currently manufacturing.

Aluminum is lighter and we are talking about a pretty much longer slide on this PPQ 5" pistol vs the 3.4" barrel length slide on the P22. Same slide, regardless of barrel length on those. Frame and slide both cast zinc on the P22. The last back and forth I had with Daniel Rieger was he was going to think about a captive spring for the P22 and an aluminum slide. The pistol got the captive spring but I think most of the emphasis is now on the PPQ line.

I was reading a patent the other day applied for by Daniel and crew regarding casting and mim'd firearm pieces. Pretty interesting reading and gives you a clue as to their thinking about parts. I haven't pulled the slide on the PPQ and don't really know how they are made but the guide rod looks like what I remember in the Smith. The internal hammer, ejector looks the same. The Smith has a no nonsense breech face that encloses the rim and a serious extractor...something that would have benefited the P22 years ago regarding poor spent case ejection direction. Perhaps Tacoma will put up some good pics. 1917
Old 02-24-2019, 08:23 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Seems to be a lot going on with that hammer face. Smith pistol. Note the top of the hammer, hook. 1917
Old 02-25-2019, 08:06 AM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Let me just say up front that the build quality on this pistol is excellent. Finish's, materials and fit are all consistantly well done. ( BTW, my opinion s based on the facts that I am a Mechanical Engineer w 32 years experience. I have also owned close to 200 pistols over the years so "this ain't my first rodeo.":-))

For specifcs, the barrel and barrel block breech block are (confrmend with a magnet) steel with smooth finish's. The slide has a steel breech insert that houses the fireing pin, extractor and serves as the breech face. It has a highly polished surface where it cocks and rides on the hammer. ( Better surface finish than I've seen on many centerfires costing 300% more. The internal frame is steel as well. In fact , Tte only plastic I can find inside is the guide rod (which just pushes and floats in the frame untilthe takedown lever grabs it when pushed up.). It would have been nice to see the use of stainless for this part but it seems to work fine . I could always look for a aftermarket one I guess.
Best of all, (and unlike my previous P22's) it runs like a swiss watch. My guess is it will continue to run that way long after I'm gone.

Here ar a few quick pictures of the internals that will hopefully scratch your itch. ( Pardon the oil!) :-)

Last edited by Tacoma; 02-25-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:45 AM
mgresh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The PPQ 22 is a great firearm. It is a huge upgrade to the P22. It's really a shame it isn't more well known or that so many had to deal with the P22 first.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:52 AM
ViperR

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Such great news Tacoma! Thank you so much for the pictures and info. Glad the slide is aluminum with the steel breech and the internal frame is also steel.
Looks like I'm a goner and getting one. I kind of like the 4" model. And that it comes with two 12 round mags.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:47 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
Such great news Tacoma! Thank you so much for the pictures and info. Glad the slide is aluminum with the steel breech and the internal frame is also steel.
Looks like I'm a goner and getting one. I kind of like the 4" model. And that it comes with two 12 round mags.

Your welcome. I doubt you will be disapointed.
FWIW, I beleive all of them come with 2 mags. I had to hunt up 10 round mags because I shoot in a state that has a strick mag limit of 10. The mags were reasonable priced though. Also, if you are inclined, Taylor Tactical sells kits to convert your mags to 15+1 round.
https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.c...ades-s/129.htm
Old 02-25-2019, 02:14 PM
mgresh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree. Viper, you will not be disappointed. Mine is the 4" and came with two mags and a case:

PPQ 22.jpg

I got three more mags. It has become my favorite gun to shoot.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:25 PM
ViperR

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I love it !!!!
My state has no round mag limits. Now to locate and/or order one.
I'll also look up the 15 round inserts. I have three boxes of Remington 550 round Golden's just waiting to plink with.
Thank you to all!!
Old 02-25-2019, 11:24 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmmm? Well, that all looks identical to what I remember in the Smith. If the barrel is the same as in the P22 the chamber sure isn't. The extractor sits at 2 o:clock instead of at 3 but the breech face, hammer, sear, ejector and guide rod seem the same Smith vs. Walther. Walther does make the full size pistol for Smith..so, why not. 1917

Full size Walther manufactured S&W .22