Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:25 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Uberti Stallion vs Ruger Bisley SS

I picked up a Ruger Bisley and a Uberti Stallion this morning. Gave them a quick cleaning at the range and started their breaking in .
I started with the Uberti Stallion at 10 yards . The Stallion is lighter and smaller than the Bisley . Both are six shooters . The Stallion, out of the box , is smoother and has a lighter trigger than the Bisley .
The fixed sighted Stallion from the beginning shot slightly high but a few inches left of center . I tried several different types of ammo and they all grouped left of center .
The Bisley started off shooting high but fairly centered . I adjusted the rear sight and got it shooting about one inch high center hold , which gives me a six oíclock hold on a one dot at 10 yards . The cylinder of the Bisley has a little rough spot in its rotation, Iím sure will break in . Trigger is a little heavy , but nothing I canít live with . Using the tip of my trigger finger on the bottom tip of the trigger , I get a good break . It wasnít hard to shoot about 1 1/2Ē group with different ammos .
IMO , the Uberti feels closer to my Heritage Rough Rider , actually falling somewhere in the middle of the Bisley and Rough Rider as far as a good value for money spent . The Uberti, I feel is a little over priced compared to the Ruger Bisley . I feel a pistol that cost what Uberti did , should shoot straighter than this one does .

Uberti grouping .

Kirby
Old 02-13-2019, 07:38 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Got to researching my windage issue and it seems itís a common problem especially with Ubertis .
BTW , I own a couple of Ruger Fixed Sight Single Sixes and they have shot straight from day one .
Uberti suggests filing the side of the front sight to adjust for windage .
I can hit a tin can at 10 yards by using Kentucky windage. I may just leave it alone . Kirby
Old 02-13-2019, 07:50 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Some left is pretty common with sgl. actions from a right handed shooter. The issue seems to be the way the revolver often torques as the trigger is pulled. Old sgl.action target shooting trick if you are is to raise up your thumb to place on the back of the recoil shield just left of the hammer fall. You adjust how much thumb pressure you apply to counteract the bias to the left.
On the Ruger you should try the 'Poor Boy Trigger Job'. You drop the grip panel on the left and unhook the dbl. leg spring leg on that side. Tuck it out of the way, install the grip panel and give it a go.
Im sure you can find a u-tube online on doing that. Too easy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019, 07:54 PM
bouddha
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine is a Cattleman, not a Stallion...10 yards, very slight left favor.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:54 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have tried two Uberti Stallions and both had POI issues to severe for me. Sold the first one and the second one is on consignment. Fortunately for me both cost only $200 NIB. I actually sold the first one and made money. Should make a little on the second one too.

If I was going to buy a Ruger SA in 22 LR it would be what you have. I really like the looks of that style.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:19 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post
I have tried two Uberti Stallions and both had POI issues to severe for me. Sold the first one and the second one is on consignment. Fortunately for me both cost only $200 NIB. I actually sold the first one and made money. Should make a little on the second one too.

If I was going to buy a Ruger SA in 22 LR it would be what you have. I really like the looks of that style.
If Iíd only paid $200 I wouldnít be as upset . I paid almost $400 by the time all the fees were finished . Definitely wont be buying anymore .
Iíll work on this one and see if I can get it any closer . I donít think Itís not too far off that it canít be fixed .
From now on Iíll be sticking with Rugers . Kirby .
Old 02-13-2019, 10:21 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well, it IS the buggabo of fixed sight revolvers!
Before 'fixing' anything change the way you grip during the squeeze, try the thumb and,if need be, pump the front sight in the rear groove over to the right side.
If/when you decide to get rid of it you wont have put time and trouble into modding anything, it will be close to 'as new in box' and be what a buyer thinks he/she wants.
BTDT
Old 02-13-2019, 11:49 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Well, it IS the buggabo of fixed sight revolvers!
Before 'fixing' anything change the way you grip during the squeeze, try the thumb and,if need be, pump the front sight in the rear groove over to the right side.
If/when you decide to get rid of it you wont have put time and trouble into modding anything, it will be close to 'as new in box' and be what a buyer thinks he/she wants.
BTDT
I tried all sorts of grips today as well as different types of ammo . And I had brother shoot it . It shoots left for him too . I don’t have any problem with my fixed sight Rugers or the Heritage Rough Riders I sold to help fund what I thought was going to be a better quality revolver. I do believe the Uberti is a small step above the Rough Riders, but definitely not three times better . Kirby

Last edited by kirby999; 02-14-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:29 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I aint gonna tell how some have 'tweaked front sights', plenty of bubba's on u-tube for that, but the accepted method is to have the barrel turned Ever So Slightly, preferably by a qualified Revolver gunsmith with the Right Tools.
Iirc, the old Colt's factory testers sighted revolvers in from a bench with an incline, two hand hold with forearms on the incline, 15yds.
Fwiw, I have found if I sight in two handed there is a bit of different poi when I shoot one handed. I dont do much now but used to shoot NRA Bullseye 22 and still want mine to shoot center one handed at 50' for most stuff.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:45 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I stand corrected. The first on I purchased was $270 shipped, the 2nd one was $226 shipped. They are fun guns to shoot, I got the most fun shooting from the hip at my 12" steel target approximately 10 yards away. From my results I would have gotten killed in an old west shootout...ON THE FIRST TRY. But it was still fun to do that and put a glove on and see how fast I could fan the hammer. I know it's hard to believe I only gave $226 so here is the invoice from GB. I may pick it back up from consignment.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (85.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-18-2019, 05:12 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Update on my Uberti Stallion 22lr .
I shot it again today . Tried a tighter grip and was surprised the grouping moved over to the right . Six shot group at 7 yards . Knocked my middle dot off making the group look bigger . Kirby
Old 02-18-2019, 05:26 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
That's the way
Old 02-18-2019, 08:49 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby999 View Post
Update on my Uberti Stallion 22lr .
I shot it again today . Tried a tighter grip and was surprised the grouping moved over to the right . Six shot group at 7 yards . Knocked my middle dot off making the group look bigger . Kirby
Nice shooting....now if I could only do that from the hip.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:47 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post
Nice shooting....now if I could only do that from the hip.
Iíd settle for offhand groups like this . These were shot with elbows rested on the bench , two handed . I can hit soup cans at ten yards , most of the time two handed , standing . Need some more practice. kirby
Old 02-19-2019, 12:57 AM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Well , the Uberti Stallion is back in the doghouse. Iím very disappointed in this revolver . Itís one problem after another .
Tonight I started out to clean the Uberti , and I canít get the cylinder base pin to come out . Itíll move back and forth a short distance, but refused to come out .
I buggered up the end of the pin with pliers but finally got it out . After removing the cylinder. I tried the pin and it seemed to stick or bind in the rear of the pistol .
After reading a few posts about others having the same or similar issues , I decided the pin needed polishing . So I polished the pin , concentrating on the back end with some 600 grit . After a few trial runs and some liberal lubrication , I finally got it cleaned and put back together.
I still need pliers to remove the pin , but it will come out . And before anyone suggests , I am lining up the flat and grooves when inserting.
Itís been put into a gun rug and placed out of sight for awhile , while I decide my next move .
If I thought I could get half of what I paid for it out of it , Iíd trade it in , but with what others have posted what theyíve paid , Iíll be better off keeping it as a learning tool on how to work on Single action revolvers .
I may contact the importer and see if I can get another base pin or May even send it in and let them see what they can do with . Maybe they could adjust the front sight tightening the barrel slightly .
Didnít think Iíd say it , but I should have kept my Heritage Rough Riders. They never gave me any problems. Kirby