bore scoped the 5MM - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:51 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bore scoped the 5MM

Of course I had to look with the new Lyman.
The only burnishing of the 5MM lands is the first few inches of the bore. The rest is entirely black looking like carbonizing, not a good thing IMO. Why you ask? The bore seems tight enough for the copper clad projectile to burnish the lands near the leade but then rattles down the rest of the bore perhaps.
At least the lands are mostly sharp and highly visible albeit with a bit of copper gilding here n there.
I must do more homework of reading the wind sorta speak as the grooves near the leade more resemble rust and/or carbon in this clean to the cleaner soaked patch. Tis why I got the the Lyman for winter aggravations.
The all black pic is within or less 5" of the chamber and is the same throughout the rest of the bore to the muzzle. I'm the 3rd owner or more of this early 70s rifle and the last owner left it in a foam case in his closet for decades, such as it were. The foam (release agent?) reacted with the wood finish terribly and subsequently refinished by mwa with tru-oil. Rem's mud finish hid a nice piece of wood eh? Alas the forearm is lighter and free of figure.
Crown doesn't look too bad but will be given my magic touch with brass screw and polishing compound.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1549810653
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1549810653

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1549811304

edit to add- Used some copper wool wound around a bronze brush and gave the bore a couple doz strokes. The black on the patch looked like carbon to me. Others suggested it may be bluing. My shoulders suck for bore lapping anymore so I'll try the chemical route, carb cleaner first, as I think this thing was shot, maybe oiled and put away, repeat, repeat.

As this is a tube feed with one action screw I don't expect a target rifle but some accuracy improvement would be nice.

to be cont'd.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:18 PM
thesandman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Hey Brother Al. Nice pics. The barrel looks great for its age. The leade looks good. I thought blueing also but thought copper didn't hurt blueing. I don't know.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:17 AM
theriddler1977

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That wood looks absolutely gorgeous in the last pic. I'll be refinishing mine this year as well, the last owner never cleaned it and has a grimey finish on the wood (almost sticky) and it's hard to see any grain. Looking at your stock, I feel like there's hope for mine yet...keep us posted on your project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys.
I could see just a little figure under the Rem mud and went for it with but a little past experience refinishing stocks and one redwood roots coffee table. The reward is watching the stripped wood spring to life with the first coat of the new finish. I hope too be a high falooten woodworker like NOREMF in my next life.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:40 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My mahogany is so very plain next to your stock Al, but it makes nice red dust when sanded. Color kind of reminds me of the dirt in the hot humid place we grew a lot older in, quickly.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:27 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass37 View Post
My mahogany is so very plain next to your stock Al, but it makes nice red dust when sanded. Color kind of reminds me of the dirt in the hot humid place we grew a lot older in, quickly.
At least most of my 'fresh' memories of that hell hole seem like 5 yrs ago instead of yesterday.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:16 PM
5Mag
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
As this is a tube feed with one action screw I don't expect a target rifle but some accuracy improvement would be nice.

Don't sell that tube gun short.

My longest kill with a 5-er was with my 592...………...an unsuspecting 'chuck (and not a real big one) at 280 lasered yards. He got blued, one-screwed, tatoo'ed and 592'ed !!!!

Garsh, but that's a nice stick o' wood on the hind end of yours !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2019, 09:41 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Soaked the bore for 48 hrs, bronze brush, patched, sprayed carb cleaner and scrubbed some more with bronze brush with no improvement and almost nothing on a clean patch. The bore looks the same as the pix above.
I sent Rem an email tonight to see if the bores on these got blued when the barrels were dipped?, blued. If they don't have any geezers still working there that would, can, still remember, I'll dribble some ammonia in the bore to see if that does it next. Yes, I know, don't get any on the outside of the barrel.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:27 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington's prompt reply this a.m. said, the 5MM bores were not blued. Drat! I need to rent a strong kid for this one to train for bore lapping.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:25 AM
M92pv4u

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
20190215_072447_1550244318368.jpg try one of these
Old 02-15-2019, 10:49 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
You didn't mention how it shoots, or how many rounds have been down the tube, but I would be inclined to just keep shooting it. Bore lapping is an art, not rocket science, so that could be an option as well.

TBR
Old 02-15-2019, 11:50 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M92pv4u View Post
try one of these

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
You didn't mention how it shoots, or how many rounds have been down the tube, but I would be inclined to just keep shooting it. Bore lapping is an art, not rocket science, so that could be an option as well.

TBR
I shot less than a box thru it because of the limited supply of ammo that came with it. It was shooting MOA+ @ 50yds before I put it away in favor of another for coyotes. I'm at least the 3rd owner and no idea of the round count. One of the previous owners was quite abusive of the wood and the front sight broken off, for what that's worth.
While a gunsmith nor a mechanic I be, I have read what a bear(sorry) fire hardened carbon can be to remove from car engine innards, mixed with the usual claims of soaking it in snake oil to only buffing it off with a wire wheel works, with a leaning more to the latter for truth of experience. This is my oldest rifle and the only not new to me one.
I'm all ears as one geezer rotator cuff is at least 50% torn via MRI and the already repaired other one is just as painful. I surely don't want to make em worse but this 5MM bore is stuck in my craw.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:20 PM
M92pv4u

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe try soaking it in seafoam engine cleaner or marvel mystery oil they are supposed to remove carbon from engines
Old 02-15-2019, 02:59 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner is supposed to work for carbon fouling, even black powder fouling. Can says let set for about 60 minutes then remove with a tight patch. If it gets completely dry it can be hard to push the patch, I would try maybe 30 or 40 minutes at first, should be easier while still moist. Maybe not a real tight patch would be a good idea too.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:47 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M92pv4u View Post
Maybe try soaking it in seafoam engine cleaner or marvel mystery oil they are supposed to remove carbon from engines
I'm a SeaFoam fan and tried soaking it with their cleaner and then a bronze brushing..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass37 View Post
Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner is supposed to work for carbon fouling, even black powder fouling. Can says let set for about 60 minutes then remove with a tight patch. If it gets completely dry it can be hard to push the patch, I would try maybe 30 or 40 minutes at first, should be easier while still moist. Maybe not a real tight patch would be a good idea too.
I've no WipeOut but tried soaking with several others including Kroil to no avail.
When I scrub vigorously with a new tight 22 brush I'm lucky to get a light smidgeon of black, hard earned, dust on a white patch. The 'clean bore' looks bright and shiny to the nekkid eye. A bore scope is a pox I tell ya.