Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:46 AM
PAndy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Sight upgrade - cmp sporter

Is there a popular rear sight used for open sight class? Can some pistol sights be made to fit a common 3/8" barrel dovetail cut? Williams makes a target sight with an open notch for target pistols...that fits on a grooved rimfire receiver, but that seems a little overboard . Even tc Contender standard sights are better than what's on most rimfire rifles from the factory . Just wondering if one solution has emerged as "the best"
Old 02-01-2019, 09:44 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAndy View Post
Is there a popular rear sight used for open sight class? Can some pistol sights be made to fit a common 3/8" barrel dovetail cut? Williams makes a target sight with an open notch for target pistols...that fits on a grooved rimfire receiver, but that seems a little overboard . Even tc Contender standard sights are better than what's on most rimfire rifles from the factory . Just wondering if one solution has emerged as "the best"
From the 2019 Rules:
O-Class (Open sights). O-Class rifles must be equipped with an open
rear sight (U, V or square notch) and a bead or post front sight. An aperture
(ring) front sight may not be used. Hooded front sights may be used in the
O-Class, but a target or tunnel-type front sight with interchangeable inserts
may not be used. The rear sight may be adjustable for windage and
elevation.

I take it you are looking to replace the standard buckhorn rear sight affixed to the pencil/sporter barrel of something similar to an out of the box Ruger 10/22 Carbine?
I have never heard of anyone doing that. Not sure what there would be to gain, as the sight radius will still be significantly short. Maybe looking for a better "sight picture"?

The cut for achievement pins/medals accounts genorously (in my opinion) for that shorter sight radius. You get 15/17 (Tactical/T Class) points more for bronze, 14/16 more for silver, and 13 more for Gold competing in the "O" class.

I think/it is my opinion that you would be within the rules if the fit/form/function and sight radius remained the same (used the same dovetail).

Interested to hear if you come up with anything "better" than is what already on the rifle (10/22) out of the box. I know from experience with instructing Appleseeds that the stock sights are very difficult to get a zero with.

On another topic/yet somewhat related....the Tech Sights that are rear aperture, place a competitor in the T Class, however the achievement cuts are the same as those competing with a scope. A Match Director has the option to seperate the irons from scopes, but still the cuts remain the same. I know a LOT of people that have heartburn with that. I compete with the scope and even I agree that the cuts for aperture style sights should be lower than that for those competing with the scope. Heck, at 6X you can easily see your impacts with the scope, and in rapid fire strings that is a competitive advantage.

Anyways....interesting question, suprised there have been no responses. Maybe post it up in the "Anything 10/22" section and see what people say there, may get a few more views than this section.

R/
Chris
Old 02-02-2019, 10:04 AM
PAndy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I'm just interested in something adjustable with screws instead of a brass punch and hammer. Most rifles have a 3/8" dovetail cut in the barrel. Some sights might attach to a receiver grooved for scope mounting, but I'm not sure if a receiver mount is legal or even desirable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019, 08:17 AM
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think that is why the CZ 455 Ultralux is popular in the Open sight class with its adjustable sights and 28 barrel. Now that it appears CZ has discontinued it as of December 2018 the CZ457 may take its place https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-training-rifle/
Old 02-03-2019, 09:19 AM
no4mk1t
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Might look at air rifle rear sights.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/sig...k-blade-sight/
Old 02-08-2019, 09:35 AM
PAndy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I got a Millet sight from ebay that supposedly fits a standard 3/8 barrel dovetail. I think it was made for 10/22 use. One of these days I'll see how it fits on a rifle or two. It is screwdriver adjustable and seems to be a decent sight. Whether it works or not, is a different story! It has a wider notch than most rifle sights. clarification: this Millett fits in a cross-ways dovetail cut in the barrel...not a 3/8" grooved receiver. I have not tried it yet.

Last edited by PAndy; 02-20-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:47 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have one of those Williams sights I took off of a Crosman 2300s pistol a while back. It might work for you but there are 2 potential problems: 1) the part that hangs down on the left side is likely to be adjusted lower than in those pictures and the stock might interfere. 2) The front sight is in the same place but the rear sight is now closer to your eye. That would make the rear notch appear larger if it was the same size as the OEM rear sight and actually the notch is wider. It might also affect how well you can focus on the sight picture.

It's nicely made but if it was my rifle, it would not be an improvement.