Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:11 AM
Pulse85

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
New VQ Black Mamba

I'm surprised noone has made a thread regarding this pistol. I've been wanting to get into the steel challenge game for a little bit now. Been researching what gun to get into it with. Once I started doing my research, I found there are multiple guns people like and use. Ruger 22/45 Lite (heavily modified). VQ Scorpion, S&W 41.

I kinda had my heart set on VQ Scorpion for awhile, as I put together in a notepad list all the parts I would use to modify this Ruger 22/45 and it came out to as much or more as the VQ Scorpion.

I was looking again yesterday and saw that VQ had released a new pistol. Volquartsen Black Mamba. I called VQ this morning to discuss it and make sure I knew the differences between this gun and their scorpion.

With the Scorpion you can get it in a 1911 frame or MK III frame. Black Mamba has it strictly in a 22/45 MK IV Frame - Which I "Think" I prefer. Side note I do like the TK Hive grips on them. Both have the LLV 4 Comp Upper, but the Black Mamba's has the Lower Pictanny rail built into the upper rather than an added accessory. Just looks better in my opinion, no actual added functionality.

The Black Mamba has a VQ version of the TK Safety Button, which I was going to add to the scorpion anyways. Nice feature.

Everything else seems to be the same. With the added benefit of the fact that because the Black Mamba is on the 22/45 Frame, it has the easy takedown feature as well. Both come in 4.5 or 6 inch. Threaded or not.

Only 3 Colors. Base price of $1400. Does not have any customizable options. Tho I did talk to VQ and they said you could add the Hi Vis Sights instead for an extra $32(or $38 can't remember). But thats all you could custom on it, unlike the scorpion where you could custom it the whole build. 6 week build time (Scorpion custom is 8 weeks)

What you guys think? The custom built 22/45 I have would cost me over $1500 without sights. Or should I just stick with a Scorpion?

Here is the link to the gun. https://volquartsen.com/products/1299-black-mamba
Old 01-17-2019, 09:52 AM
openspaces
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I was interested but it read like the frame is an actual ruger frame (with volquartsen internals)

Not worth the price to me if thatís true.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:30 AM
Pulse85

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
It is the actual ruger 22/45 mk4 frame from what the lady at VQ told me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2019, 03:13 PM
Pulse85

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
So you would recommend just building out a 22/45 Lite? I've Considered this alot. I've even wondered if its really worth it to get the LLV-4 Competition Upper. As I'm just starting out in this, never shot steel before. I could just stick with the Ruger Upper.

Things I would change right off the bat are to VQ Competition bolt, Accurizing Kit (with trigger). TK Cornerstone safety thumb ledge, TK "hivegrips, and probably some mag bumpers. The LLV4 Upper is really what drives the price of the gun up, as I would get the 4.5 Threaded with Comp which is like $500 alone.

I'd probably not add the Compensator until I do the upper. Would this be a wise plan? or any other upgrades you'd recommend?
Old 01-17-2019, 03:42 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Funny, when I was thinking of a name for my built up Mark IV 22/45 Lite with the LLV 6 Upper I was going to call it the Mamba. VQ beat me to it.

If I were starting out at shooting Steel I would add the VQ Accurizing kit and a compensator to my gun but would start out with the original barrel set up. A compensator, I started with the Tandemkross Game Changer Pro, is a good addition because the timer will pick up your shot better with the compensators. Otherwise it's not really needed on the .22

The Competition Bolt is another thing I would hold off of until you shoot a few times. I find mine to be a great asset because you really don't have to oil it and here, in the desert Southwest, it's so dusty that oil will add to the jamming factor on these guns. With my stock bolt I do add oil throughout the day to keep the dust from accumulating.

The Striplin Thumb Rest and Extended Safety, both can be bought at Tandemkross.com, is very good to have. It makes taking the safety off much easier after the start command. The rest just gives you a more positive grip.

Last edited by AzShooter; 01-17-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:38 PM
Florida Guy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If I had a choice of a Scorpion (Mark III) or the Black Mamba on a Mark IV frame,
I'd choose the BM for the ease of takedown.
I own a Scorpion and really like it, but it was only available with the Mark III frame when I bought it. Looks like you may have to click on pic to view it correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (180.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:57 PM
Jory45acp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking

I ordered one within hours of the press release. I'm sending in my own frame to have it built on and the price is significantly lower, just over $1k. Same gun same parts some options. I've been waiting or this for months and months and have called them several times asking about a build and each time they told me we are working on something but it's still in development. Finally the day arrives!! I can't wait to get my hands on my new shooter!
Old 01-17-2019, 10:44 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Man just build one. There's a guy on Gunbroker with MKIV 22/45 take off frames for under $200. The LLV4 runs around $340. The bolt around $250. Now the trigger kit is up to like $135 or so (paid $91 myself and got lucky looking back on it). Comp around $80. - thats about $1000 right there. Would still need magazines, and I guess if you wanted sights on it that would help negate my post, but if you shoot optics there is no need for them on there.

You'd basically have the same gun for like $250 less if you didn't get sights and bought 5 Ruger magazines. All of those parts ship free when you get them from the right places as well (Wirthwein Guns, Rimfire Sports & Custom, Etc.)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:46 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The $250 you save would buy you a solid red dot or at least the majority of one of the higher priced ones.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:59 AM
Pulse85

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well after some private messaging and seeing what people have said on this thread and doing abit more research. I've decided to just go ahead with the Scorpion. For starters I'm an Impatient man, freely admitted, and I don't want to wait 6 weeks on a Black Mamba. #2 $1400 is abit pricey. I do like the gun and feel like it would be great, but 6 weeks plus $1400 just not worth it to me.

So I'm going to get a 4.5 Threaded Scorpion without sights. Put a C-More Railway Red Dot on it.

My biggest dilemma right now is which frame to get. 1911 or Target. I don't have the option to actually hold a VQ Target frame as my only options locally are an actual Mk3 Ruger frame, which doesn't have the thumbrests on the grips like the Volthane grips do. Also the %%%% thing is so heavy that I feel like it skews my perception of whether I like that style. I did pick up a 22/45 Lite just to compare and it felt really good. Most of the reviews of the scorpion and such that I see are using the Target frame. Thoughts?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:04 AM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Like any new product, I'd let 6 mos or so go buy before I considered one. By then, any kinks ( should they exist) would have been worked out. Also , I'm betting after the first year of production, they start offering more options just to keep sales up.

As for buying today, given they are using a Ruger frame anyway, I just don't see the logic for $1400+ in that gun. Personally, I'd follow Flash80's good advise (in post 9#) above and build one.
Also note that Volquartsen usually has some good clearance deals for LLV's and entire guns on their website. ( I just bought a factory (minor) blem LLV upper for$200 from them this week.)
Gunbroker has similar deals on LLV's new and used guns.
The money you save could go towards optics, extra mags, (even ceraote if you want a specific color)

FWIW, This one cost me around $1K ( NIB) just last month.

The money I saved went towards a couple of cases of ammo!

Last edited by Tacoma; 01-18-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:59 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Black Mamba is basically the same Frankenruger gun that people have been building themselves for the last year and a half. Only difference is they are putting it together for you. The main benefit is that if it were to need any fitting, they would have already done that as opposed to someone needing to send one in to them.

Its just a Ruger 22/45 frame with a VQ trigger kit, VQ bolt, and a VQ LLV4 receiver slapped on it. If they had designed their own frame, it would be different, but maybe there are patent issues from Ruger that prevent that. They come with the Tandemkross Hive grips. They should come with the Cornerstone safety as well.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:44 AM
songdogger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also would really appreciate suggestions on either a Mark III or 1911 frame?
I know it comes down to what feels best but what is the general consensus?

Last edited by songdogger; 01-19-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:28 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Mamba only comes on the Mark IV 22/45 frame. Mine is on the 22/45 Lite and feels great. Same basic angle as the 1911 but much lighter. The LLV upper does add weight and I can tell a big difference between my stock 22/45 Lite and the Mamba configuration.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:06 PM
songdogger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Found a 1911 framed scorpion I got to fondle
Yep it followed me home
High thumbs forward grip I use was perfect fit
Got a Burris FF3 to mount up