Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:23 PM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

The man Marvel started and ran his company to build 22LR conversion units for 1911 pistols. He offered a tactical version (Unit #2) and a target version (Unit #1). At some point he lost control of his company and offered his services sequentually to several other current makers of 22LR conversion for 1911's. Each is a bit better than the last design. Marvel, the company, continued on to still offer versions of the Marvel designs.

It is said that the later Marvel design improvements at other companies offer the feature of a slide (bolt) lock back on the last round. The original Marvel designs did not offer that. There may be other features on the new Marvel designs and collaborations that have shown up in other conversion units by other companies.

So if you are interested in a conversion unit for a 1911 then a bit of research is necessary.

My Marvel Unit #1 (the target version) on my Rock Island frame (all match grade internals) is probably the most accurate 22LR gun I own (I own many target grade 22LR pistols). I know nothing about the latest Marvels or other manufacturers conversion units. I love my decades old Marvel Unit #1.

LDBennett
Old 01-17-2019, 06:52 PM
824tsv
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox34 View Post
Would welcome all comments on pistols available in this group. I am aware of the GSG and Chiappa models, any others worth consideration? I haven't shot any pistols of this type, 1911 platform.

I'm all ears!!!

Ferox34
What do you plan on doing with the pistol. Will it be a casual plinker that won't set you back a lot of cash or are you looking for a accurate competition pistol. The 2 you mention are in the inexpensive casual plinker category.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:15 PM
JEC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
My recently-acquired GSG in post 11 above does have a steel pin in the slide notch; obvious and easy to spot. The finish is also better than as described in many of the critical posts Iíve read, although I havenít had it long enough to have any insight on the durability of the finish. So far, a great little pistol that I thought was a heckuva deal for $239 at my LGS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2019, 04:32 PM
Rumpboogie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry88 View Post
I am concerned though that the Colt has a barrel sleeve over what is a pencil thin barrel, where as the GSG is more like a regular 1911 barrel.
Perhaps the most accurate revolver of all time was/is the Dan Wesson. The reason for that accuracy is that it has a thin barrel under tension within an outer barrel sleeve. All barrels flex some when fired as the bullet torques down the barrel. Including those in Dan Wessons. The difference is that when other revolver barrels flex, the muzzle can end up anywhere … whereas in the Dan Wessons, the muzzle is held in a rigid position by the shroud which does NOT flex. The Colt/Walther 1911-22 is similar.

I love my Colt Gold Cup 1911-22! Have just started modding it. So far have put nice grips on it and have polished the receiver. Mine shoots well under 3" groups @ 25 yards standing, no rest and handles just about any ammo I care to feed it. All of the internals in the frame except the slide release are interchangeable with regular full-size 1911 parts. Mine has a nice crisp trigger pull of about 6lbs. My 45 has a pull of 3.5lbs. I am going to drop in Wilson Combat stainless sear, disconnector, hammer and hammer strut, polish up the trigger, hone the trigger rails, put in a Cylinder & Slide reduced power sear spring and a Wilson Combat 21lb hammer spring. Just like my 45 has. And I fully expect the same results.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jf1i6nkvd...%20RS.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgabv2a7m8...UZZLE.JPG?dl=0

Last edited by Rumpboogie; 01-19-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:59 AM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
a fool and his money are soon parted

Found a local used Chiappa 1911 Tactical. Is a little wonky on ammo choices, I am open to all suggestions. Only $150 in, so not a major investment.

I have tried CCI tactical copper plated, WinchesterX, MiniMag hollow points, and a couple other my son tried.

Results the same, first round fires, second fail to feed, hand clear it, second round fires, hand clear it, then balance of magazine shoots/feeds OK. I know I have to use HV ammo and am think LRN is the best choice. It also could use a good cleaning and lube. Do these guns prefer to run on the "dry side" or "wet side"??

Ferox34
Old 01-27-2019, 11:16 PM
rhill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Kimber conversion and use it on my Gold Cup frame. Shoots well and reliably with ammo it likes and accurate enough for what I use it for. By the way it functions on a series 70 frame just fine.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:49 AM
toivo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneyboy View Post
I own 2 GSG's and have a Nelson conversion on the way for my Springfield 1911 45.
You're in for a treat. That's exactly the combo I have, and it's several grades of quality above the GSG and SIG offerings.

To the OP: You didn't mention price, but if your budget can stand it I would go that route. The Nelson conversion by itself will cost you nearly as much as the GSG, and of course you'll need a good base .45 to stick it on, but when all is said and done you'll have two excellent 1911 pistols available to you: one rimfire and one centerfire.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:18 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
run it wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox34 View Post
Found a local used Chiappa 1911 Tactical. Is a little wonky on ammo choices, I am open to all suggestions. Only $150 in, so not a major investment.

I have tried CCI tactical copper plated, WinchesterX, MiniMag hollow points, and a couple other my son tried.

Results the same, first round fires, second fail to feed, hand clear it, second round fires, hand clear it, then balance of magazine shoots/feeds OK. I know I have to use HV ammo and am think LRN is the best choice. It also could use a good cleaning and lube. Do these guns prefer to run on the "dry side" or "wet side"??

Ferox34
my old GSG and my current colt/walther gold cup love to be lubed with slide glide grease. it works great on the slide rails, stays where you put it . I use the red. brownelles sells it I believe, some good lube. I even use it on the bolts of my henry lever and pump. clean mag good, be sure follower is not binding.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:32 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toivo View Post
You're in for a treat. That's exactly the combo I have, and it's several grades of quality above the GSG and SIG offerings.

To the OP: You didn't mention price, but if your budget can stand it I would go that route. The Nelson conversion by itself will cost you nearly as much as the GSG, and of course you'll need a good base .45 to stick it on, but when all is said and done you'll have two excellent 1911 pistols available to you: one rimfire and one centerfire.
+2 on the Nelson Conversion. I have been switching between a Springfield TRP and a custom Caspian lower and have found the Nelson kit is very accurate. Good way to get trigger time on your 1911 without breaking the bank.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:29 AM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
just bought a rock island to strip and dedicate to my kimber conversion , someone will enjoy both ewhen im gone , ill get to enjoy my kimber now ,
Old 02-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Rumpboogie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Took my two new 22 pistolas to the range today. Very happy with both of them.

First, my Colt/Walther Gold Cup. Ran over 150 rounds through it without a single hiccup, two brands of ammo, both over 1200 fps ammo. Was firing at 10 yards, rapid fire, standing, and had no problem at all maintaining fist-sized groups. Shot just a bit low out of the box, raised the back sight two clicks and the fist-sized group was right over the bulls-eye. Trigger is crisp, at about 4lbd, but my 45 is more like 3lbs, so will work on it a bit to lower the trigger pull to around 3lbs. But I really, really like the gun and it will serve me very well as an inexpensive way to stay up to speed with my 45.

The surprise of the day was my new Taurus PT22. I got it to be able to train inexpensively for the loooong DAO trigger on my Kahr MK40 Elite. Guns are about the same size, same kind of looong DAO triggers, but the Kahr is smoother. Last time I shot the Kahr, I had not even come close to mastering that kind of trigger, and could barely keep a magazine full in the torso at 5 yards. I read a whole lot on how to handle that kind of trigger, and when I got the PT22, proceeded to dry-fire it a couple hundred times trying those techniques. The surprise was that at the range today, at 5 yards I was keeping all 9 rounds in a group the size of my fist. The little PT22 ate about 50 rounds without a single hiccup, and I can tell that it is a lot more accurate then I am. I am liking the little PT22 more and more all the time.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:41 AM
toivo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpboogie View Post
I read a whole lot on how to handle that kind of trigger, and when I got the PT22, proceeded to dry-fire it a couple hundred times trying those techniques.
I strongly advise using some sort of snap cap or other buffer device to keep the firing pin from contacting the edge of the chamber when you're dry-firing a rimfire, especially when you're doing hundreds of repetitions. Otherwise you risk peening the edge of the chamber, which can cause problems with extraction.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:15 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If the firing pin can reach the edge of the chamber when dry firing then the firing pin is too long and needs to be corrected. It should never be able to be closer than a few thousandth of an inch to the end of the breech end of the chamber. Unfortunately modern gun manufacturing does not allow for tuning the firing pin to fit the specific gun it is housed in with the results that the pinging of the chamber edge is common in many rimfire guns today. The simple act, done many times, of clearing the gun and releasing the firing pin spring of tension eventually marks the edge of the chamber. Sliding the bolt open slightly when clearing the gun overrides the disconnector function and keeps the firing pin away from the chamber end.

Until you are sure the firing pin is not too long, don't dry fire without protecting the breech end of the chamber.

LDBennett
Old 02-03-2019, 11:07 AM
Rumpboogie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toivo View Post
I strongly advise using some sort of snap cap or other buffer device to keep the firing pin from contacting the edge of the chamber when you're dry-firing a rimfire, especially when you're doing hundreds of repetitions. Otherwise you risk peening the edge of the chamber, which can cause problems with extraction.
I'm not all that dumb. I always have a once-fired brass case in the chamber when dry-firing any 22, and rotate it a bit every 3 or 4 "snaps" to get fresh spot on the rim under the firing pin.

But, regarding the PT22 specifically, it does not lock the slide back on the last round by design. That means dry-fires are going to happen and quite often. It would be almost criminally negligent on Taurus's part to be selling a gun that is almost guaranteed to go boobs-up before you've even owned it for a year.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:24 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More new 22 guns have firing pins that are too long (can hit breech face of barrel) than those with correct length firing pins. To get it right, it is hand fitting which gun manufacturers rarely do today. There is no problem with dry firing after the last round IF the firing pin is the correct length. The firing pin does need or should not be allowed to touch the breech face of barrel under any circumstances.

LDBennett