Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:55 AM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
1911 .22lr choices

Would welcome all comments on pistols available in this group. I am aware of the GSG and Chiappa models, any others worth consideration? I haven't shot any pistols of this type, 1911 platform.

I'm all ears!!!

Ferox34
Old 01-13-2019, 12:08 PM
Cronkytonk
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Rock Island Armory. I have a 1911 XT 22mag which I like very much. They have a 1911 22/45 convertible also.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:23 PM
kidneyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Colt, Sig (same as GSG), Browning, Kimber (I think).

I own 2 GSG's and have a Nelson conversion on the way for my Springfield 1911 45.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2019, 06:03 PM
osbornk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have both a GSG 1911-22 and a Ruger MK III 22/45. They both feel and shoot much like a real 1911 but without recoil. The GSG looks and feels very much like my "real" 1911. The GSG has been totally reliable and the 22/45 has an occasional FTF if it is not kept very clean. If I had bought the GSG first, I would not have bought the 22/45.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:22 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Be aware that most (?) of the GSG guns are not made of steel or aluminum. Most have a frame made of Zamak, a Zinc alloy. While this may be adequate for a 22LR gun, better guns are made from steel and aluminum. Zamak is easier to machine, cost less as a base material, and has a much lower melting temperature which allows lower casting temperatures. All this allows much lower pricing and theoretically lower durability (some people here offer good experiences of adequate durability for a 22LR gun). If this bothers you then don't buy a GSG made gun. If cost is a driving factor, the Zamak gun is adequate, just as plastic guns are adequate.

But it is your choice. Just be aware and informed before you buy to avoid potential disappointment later. Many here are happy with their GSG choices.

An alternative, if you own a real 1911, is a 22LR conversion for the real 1911. They come in two styles: Tactical and target. The tactical version has a slide, with attached sights, that all move in recoil with the barrel fixed to the frame. The target versions have the sights fixed to the barrel and the barrel fixed to the frame, and a separate bolt that moves in recoil under the sight rail. The latter gives a sighting accuracy benefit. Marvel is one of several conversion manufacturers.

LDBennett
Old 01-14-2019, 07:40 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink no one mentioned the colt/walther 1911 .22

the GSG is good, base model is 250. at Academy, I have owned one, fun to shoot, 1911 experience with low recoil, cheap ammo. when I bought my colt/walther gold cup I realized it was an improvement over the GSG, in performance, build quality, finish, etc. I traded off the GSG on a new MKIV stainless target. my gold cup has adjustable sights, nice finish.it has run 100% since I took it out of the box 4 years ago. quality all stainless magazines are easy to find. if you want to shoot mine sometime in the future we can do that, after my wife recovers from her broken leg, she is coming home today and I am going to be very busy for a while. the colt is more expensive than the GSG, if I was getting a 1911 .22 to play with I believe I would go for the 250.00 GSG at Academy. the GSG is kinda` like a 10/22, all kinds of improvement mods available out there.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:45 AM
VASCAR2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’ve shot the GSG/Sig 1911 but not the Colt/Walther but I think they are a trade off. They are trying to hit a competitive price point in the market. These are pistols meant to look and feel like 1911’s. The manufacture and materials differ a good bit from a traditional 1911.

Prior to the release of the GSG/Sig 1911 I bought an Advantage Arms 1911 standard conversion kit. This kit uses an aluminum slide which I used on my Rock Island Armory 1911 A-1 frame. I liked the combination so well I bought a stripped RIA frame and built it to match my 45 ACP RIA 1911 pistol.

Years ago I had a 1911 Colt Conversion Unit mated to it’s own alloy frame. I really think the Marvel (AA uses this pattern) style conversion kit and a dedicated frame are a great option. I think this combination will last basically forever and will hold their value. You can always sell the frame and conversion kit seperately or together. If you already own a 38 Super or 45 ACP 1911 frame you can use a 22 conversion.

The ejector is different on a 9 mm 1911 and might not be compatiable with all 1911 22 conversions. The RIA frame I bought already had a 45 ACP ejector installed on the frame.

Here is a picture of my AA/RIA 1911.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WYxoky]
Old 01-14-2019, 09:03 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Unhappy colt is not the same as GSG/SIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneyboy View Post
Colt, Sig (same as GSG), Browning, Kimber (I think).

I own 2 GSG's and have a Nelson conversion on the way for my Springfield 1911 45.
colt is designed completely different that the gsg. look alike but made very differently. gsg takes down more like a 1911.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:37 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i have the sig version - no issues at all , i love it and it shoots very well , far better than i do ,
Old 01-15-2019, 10:15 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had a GSG for several years now and have had no problems with it. It's not the most accurate of my 22 LR pistols but it's a nice plinker. It's an excellent substitute for the real 1911 minus the recoil and cost of shooting.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:13 PM
JEC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
In the past I had a Colt/Walther Gold Cup and really liked it. Recently I bought a GSG and really like it too. I think the Colt is the better pistol out of the box but only by a little. The GSG was less expensive by more than a little. Both are good to very good plinkers, and will satisfy the 1911 longing. Each of the two have their strong and weak points vis a vis the other, but overall are pretty comparable such that if choosing between the two, price would probably make the difference for me.

As JonP said, the GSG has a considerable edge over the Colt in aftermarket support. When I got my GSG, I promised myself I wouldn't waste money on mods and bling . . . it took me about ten minutes to break that promise.

1911a.jpg
Old 01-17-2019, 11:56 AM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
colt is designed completely different that the gsg. look alike but made very differently. gsg takes down more like a 1911.
I am concerned though that the Colt has a barrel sleeve over what is a pencil thin barrel, where as the GSG is more like a regular 1911 barrel.

Last edited by Henry88; 01-17-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:44 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Smile i see no need for concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry88 View Post
I am concerned though that the Colt has a barrel sleeve over what is a pencil thin barrel, where as the GSG is more like a regular 1911 barrel.
remember, it IS a .22LR.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:49 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
i like the polished sides on the slide !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEC View Post
In the past I had a Colt/Walther Gold Cup and really liked it. Recently I bought a GSG and really like it too. I think the Colt is the better pistol out of the box but only by a little. The GSG was less expensive by more than a little. Both are good to very good plinkers, and will satisfy the 1911 longing. Each of the two have their strong and weak points vis a vis the other, but overall are pretty comparable such that if choosing between the two, price would probably make the difference for me.

As JonP said, the GSG has a considerable edge over the Colt in aftermarket support. When I got my GSG, I promised myself I wouldn't waste money on mods and bling . . . it took me about ten minutes to break that promise.

Attachment 172733
I think that is the GSG I have been looking at on the academy website, 250.00. does the slide stop notch have a reinforcement pin now? my 2011 GSG did not and the notch was being peened quickly by the steel slide stop lever. I traded it off, but for 250. I am thinking about buying another GSG.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:54 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I have two .22 conversion kits for a 1911: Nelson Custom Conversions and Advantage Arms. Both are pretty accurate (although I haven't really wrung out the Nelson yet) and work on an existing 1911 lower. I have a Springfield TRP and a Foster (Caspian) lower that I can practice with without breaking the bank. The result is a full size 1911 frame and the same trigger that you would use for .45 ACP.