Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:34 AM
motovita

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
IHMSA

I couldn't stand to see that Merry Christmas message for one more day.

I recently shot my first IHMSA match, had fun, going back for the next one.
After trying to follow the match directors explanation of all the classes and divisions I gave up and said just tell me what to shoot at, even he has a hard time following all the classes.
It's obvious that IHMSA is declining, I wonder if an overhaul and simplification of the class structure might not attract more shooters. As it is, at my range, there are enough classes that every shooter in attendance could shoot their own private class and win every time. Maybe there are places in the U.S. where all the classes are full and everybody is happy.
What do y'all think?
I believe the Tucson range, where I shot, held the first handgun silhouette match in the U.S., so it's not like it's a new thing there.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:15 PM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motovita View Post
I couldn't stand to see that Merry Christmas message for one more day.

I recently shot my first IHMSA match, had fun, going back for the next one.
After trying to follow the match directors explanation of all the classes and divisions I gave up and said just tell me what to shoot at, even he has a hard time following all the classes.
It's obvious that IHMSA is declining, I wonder if an overhaul and simplification of the class structure might not attract more shooters. As it is, at my range, there are enough classes that every shooter in attendance could shoot their own private class and win every time. Maybe there are places in the U.S. where all the classes are full and everybody is happy.
What do y'all think?
I believe the Tucson range, where I shot, held the first handgun silhouette match in the U.S., so it's not like it's a new thing there.
Where have you been? IHMSA declined years ago. Back in the late 80's and early 90"s IHMSA was a big deal just about everywhere. I remember going to the IHMSA Internationals in Tn. and they had 1600 guns signed up (guns, not shooters). Here in NY you could go to a match every weekend in one or two different places. I went to a shoot in Jan when it was in the teens and there were a hundred people at the match. By the mid 90"s there were hardly any places shooting it and in the late 90's there weren't any.....NONE. It would cost me and my friends about fifty bucks to go shoot a match every week and we'd drive 2-6 hours round trip to get there. After paying entry fees, etc it got pricey. The prizes for shooting? Particle board plaques. After winning a couple boxes full of them it got old in a hurry. I ran matches for three years and I can tell you the clubs weren't making much money on having matches. Between IHMSA fees, plaques, etc there simply wasn't any meat left on the bone. The only one who seemed to be getting ahead was Elgin Gates and family. It was a lot of fun, but it was destined to die out. I'm not crying sour grapes, I won five consecutive state 5-Gun and every other class I entered in Int. Class. I won two Regional Titles also. It got to where you'd go and there wasn't even one person in each class. Kind of meaningless to win when you're the only one in your class. It was fun for a while, but there's no way it could sustain itself. I moved on to three gun shoots and that was a lot more fun (and difficult) for another ten years.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:25 PM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HI started way back in either late 70's or early 80's when was still in it's infancy. The guns were still pretty basic and we had standing, production, revolver and unlimited. You had to keep all stock guns stock with original sights, trigger and barrels. It was really fun when everyone was figuring out which guns had a slight edge.

Slowly manufactures started making silhouette specific guns which helped get scores higher. The very first perfect 40x40 production 22 score was shot at our home range (Ozark, Ohio) by Gail Martin with a 10" Contender. Slowly they started to allow changes to the guns to suit a few that didn't like being stuck with a factory gun but didn't want it to fit in the unlimited class. A local buddy (J. D. Jones) was at the very first match where this game started shooting with a lot of pretty well known names back in 1975 in Tucson Arizona. It's come a long ways since then.

I got out just as the Exemplars and Freedom Arms guns came out which really upped the scores, then the scoped classes came about which was nice for the shooters that were getting older and perfect scores became quite common and winning a match came to a high count on shoot off targets. We even had a match we shot at the little rifle targets with our open sighted pistols to keep it fun and challenging.

All our shooting sports have a life where it starts fun, everyone likes to improve and get better equipment which turns into an equipment race. Finally the die-hards are left with the average guy that shows up leaves feeling he can't compete.

I'm already seeing it with our long-range matches, a few of us still stick with older target rifles/pistols instead of the latest greatest newest bestest high tech guns. Some of us even went back farther shooting peeps sights at targets we can barely see but it's still very challenging to compete against the scoped shooters and give them a run for the money.

It comes down to enjoying your time at a match, shame IHMSA is slowly dieing. Seen some great times back when it was growing, seeing the big range being built in Idaho, seeing new records being set and the advancement of very accurate handguns being developed.

Maybe a new sport will spring up from it's ashes, right now there are plenty of rimfire type matches around. Get out and enjoy them while you can, seeing the way things are heading it may get harder to enjoy our hobby.

Topstrap

Last edited by Topstrap44; 01-05-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2019, 05:24 PM
motovita

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Hey I got here as soon as I could.
Hope you guys didn't hurt your shoulders when you threw in the towel. The question is, how to fix it.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:52 PM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motovita View Post
Hey I got here as soon as I could.
Hope you guys didn't hurt your shoulders when you threw in the towel. The question is, how to fix it.
I didn't have to throw in the towel. It ended up where there were literally ZERO places left to shoot in NY. It just died a natural death. I ended up donating my set(s) of targets to a local club that runs very informal matches during the summer. Believe it or not, but at three bucks a round to shoot (and that includes hiring a target setter) the club has a "big crowd" the nights sever or eight people show up. You're a day late and a dollar short to get on board.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:23 PM
frankmako
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
ihmsa and nra pistol silhouette are both all most gone. ihmsa is doing better than the nra pistol silhouette, but not much. both are fun and i been in the game since the early 80's. but i shoot 98% of my time in nra silhouette rifle matches. still lots of rifle matches to be found if you want to drive several hours to get one. one of the reasons both are not getting any new shooters is it is not easy. we have new shooters show up for matches and they don't come back. they all say it is to hard. shooting standing, un-supported, on the clock, and got to knock down small animals that are far away has gotten to hard for the younger group.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:50 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've been shooting IHMSA since 1985. Our local range is a half-hour away and we have 2 silhouette matches every month, April through October. We usually have 4-8 shooters per match.

I don't care if there is nobody in my class, I just enjoy shooting silhouettes. Don't need to "win" or beat anyone else.

≡✪≡
Old 01-05-2019, 10:04 PM
frankmako
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
IHMSA80x80

i know that. i drive six hours rounds trip to one of my so call local match to shoot with five guys. we shoot nra lever action rifle smallbore and pistol cartridge in the morning. in the afternoon we shoot hunter pistol and smallbore hunter pistol (open sight and scope) with three of us. but this years they are dropping the pistol matches.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:32 AM
IHMSA80x80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Our range has shown steadily declining numbers of shooters over the years. When I first moved here in 1986, it was packed for each match, and we only had one match per month then. You had to sign up...in advance... for specific shooting times for NEXT month's match. Or, just show up and hang around, hoping someone would cancel, or give you their time slot.

Today, you can walk up to the line and shoot whatever, and whenever you want. Just a few dedicated geezers. What is sad, is that all but two, myself and the match director, are from out of state. We can't even get our own club members to show up, and we used to have a lot of them.

Good luck trying to get younger shooters involved. It is too hard for them and boring. All the want to do is blast away as fast as they can empty 27 magazines at targets only 10 feet away. Who cares if they hit anything...accuracy is unimportant.

≡✪≡
Old 01-06-2019, 11:55 AM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
I've been shooting IHMSA since 1985. Our local range is a half-hour away and we have 2 silhouette matches every month, April through October. We usually have 4-8 shooters per match.

I don't care if there is nobody in my class, I just enjoy shooting silhouettes. Don't need to "win" or beat anyone else.
Organized tin can shooting that's what I call it. If it goes CLANG and falls over I want to shoot it Like 80x80 I don't need to beat anyone. The challenge for me is shooting to the best of my ability. At sixty seven I'm not near as steady as I'd like to be.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:08 PM
jnyork

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
My wife and I were very avid IHMSA shooters starting about 1979 or so, we could shoot almost every weekend in the Northern California and Nevada area. we attended shoots that regularly drew 75-100 shooters. I think what killed it was the "a classification for every gun" philosophy, it started out with just 3 or 4 guns and as time went on the shooters started demanding a special classification so they could shoot their very own special gun. "Production" didn't really mean "Production" any more, clubs had to buy another set of targets for the guys who wanted to shoot 1/2 scale targets, finally people just got tired of it and went off to do other things. A real shame, it was tons of fun.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:59 PM
agksimon
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We have non-sanctioned matches at our club in Sparta Michigan, in warmer weather. Only guns allowed are 22 rimfire pistols (no magnums) and iron sights, red dots or low powered scopes. Guns must be held in the offhand position. We use half scale targets at 25 & 50 yards. Easy for some of us, but others struggle, even at these close distances. I'd like to move them back to small bore pistol distances, to make it harder, but too many people would quit.
Some of us are competitive and always strive to do better, where others quit, if they don't do well, right off the bat.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:21 AM
IHMSA80x80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
I'd like to move them back to small bore pistol distances, to make it harder, but too many people would quit.
Some of us are competitive and always strive to do better, where others quit, if they don't do well, right off the bat.
I think that is the key to silhouette's declining participation...

It's just too hard.

People today want instant gratification with easy targets, they don't want to have to practice to improve their scores, just blast away at very large, extremely close targets, as fast as they can shoot. If you miss, who cares? You've got 97 more bullets left to hit that target.

≡✪≡
Old 01-18-2019, 03:23 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Silhouette shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
I think that is the key to silhouette's declining participation...

It's just too hard.

People today want instant gratification with easy targets, they don't want to have to practice to improve their scores, just blast away at very large, extremely close targets, as fast as they can shoot. If you miss, who cares? You've got 97 more bullets left to hit that target.
I'm always surprised when someone you thought shot well for the first time out never comes back.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:10 PM
IHMSA80x80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL SHOOTER View Post
I'm always surprised when someone you thought shot well for the first time out never comes back.
I'm not usually. They don't come back because they are disappointed that they didn't get all the targets.

≡✪≡