Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:49 PM
SubSonicSniper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to SubSonicSniper
Henry Small Game Rifle/Carbine .22LR Accuracy

I'm thinking of picking up a Henry Small Game Rifle/Carbine in .22LR. After some searching I can't find much on the accuracy of this rifle. Most people talk about the action, trigger, cosmetics, etc. in depth but when it comes to accuracy they say "it's accurate" but don't elaborate as to what that equates to (example:1 MOA, 1" 5 shot group at 25yds, etc.). If someone does mention a group size at X distance they are usually shooting free hand or propped up on a tree. I realize that this rifle is made for off hand shooting small critters or cans off the fence during a plinking session but I would really like to hear some real data concerning the accuracy of these rimfires. My purpose for it is a light woods gun to hunt with or go target shooting. I have wanted a lever action .22 for a long time and finally got around to having a justifiable need for one. I plan on putting a Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x33 on it. I know that the Small Game rifle/carbine is usually bought because of the peep sight but I want it for the lack of dovetail cut in the barrel for the rear sight and the magazine tube-to-barrel connector looks a lot more sturdy/cleaner than the one on the base model.

So, if anyone has this rifle please let me know what kind of groups you are getting, from what distance, and what ammo you're using. Also, if yours is scoped or not. TIA.

Last edited by SubSonicSniper; 01-04-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:07 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Although I haven't owned a SGC, I've had 5 Henry 22's and all of them would shoot 1.5", or better, groups at 100 yards when scoped, with the right ammo. Two of them would shoot very accurately at just over 1" groups at 100 yards, with the right ammo. My new 24" barrel Frontier, and an 18" H001 that I regrettably sold.

The truth is, it takes some luck, and a lot of effort, to get a 1" gun. You'll need perfect weather and a lot of ammo to test.

Last edited by CamP; 01-04-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:57 PM
Hyborn0000

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
My dad and uncle both have one
My dads a 20" version
My uncle the 16.5 " carbine
Accuracy from both are similar
Mostly shot at 50 yards
5 shot groups 1/2 - 3/4 with a low power optic
Ammo mostly cci sv or comparable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2019, 07:34 PM
rodbuster
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a small game rifle, I was getting 1" groups today using the Skinner sights and CCI 40 gr. hp. at 50 yds.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:52 PM
Ruger1300

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one in 22 magnum and am very happy with the gun. The big issue for me is that I didn't realize that switching to trifocals would effect my use of iron sights. I am going to scope the rifle and see what it can do when I can afford a good scope.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:54 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It is a great little rifle for squirrels and cottontails. I have the most fun shooting bunnies. Sitting still is easiest of course if you see them first. But if the cover isn't too thick, running the lever on running rabbit is about as much fun as you can have.

VH
Old 03-03-2019, 03:38 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a H001Y , the youth with a 16 inch barrel and a simple 4x scope. They arenít made to shoot off a bench or rest. You canít put them back in the same spot after throwing the lever. That being said , each shot is like a first shot, surprising accurate. I spent a whole day shooting shot gun hulls across the range the day after deer season started, all those guys sighting in their sabot or slug guns left quite a supply.

I donít Remember missing one of those hulls. From 10 yards to 50 yards off hand, it was a lot of fun.

The frontier is probably longer and heavier, so I wouldnít worry about .23 bug hole groups, Iíd worry about whose gonna clean all that game. Or pick up the field targets after you shoot them to pieces with a big grin on your face.

They are just really fun guns. Your gonnna have a blast. But they ainít no Anschutz.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:50 AM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Iíve got the SGR with the longer barrel... Mine actually surprised me with its accuracy... I mean itís definitely not CZ accurate at 50 yards... Buy for a fun smooth action gun it is definitely squirrel hunting accurate... I mounted a weaver 2-7 rim fire scope and I love taking that gun in the woods!!! Iím actually thinking about getting the SGR in 22 WMR next...
Old 03-08-2019, 06:38 PM
zara_puppy
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Carbine accuracy

My sonís carbine easily does an inch at 50 yards (scoped). I got it for him a long time ago. Was stuck between that and a CZ. Then someone told me ďif youíll be shooting paper get the CZ. If not, while the Henry might not be MOA itís absolutely MOS (minute of squirrel). And theyíre pretty cool little rifles.Ē

Got the Henry. Havenít looked back.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:19 PM
Nerostarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I picked up a SGC yesterday in 22mag, shot it today for the first time with the open sights. It was surprisingly accurate and dead on at 75 yards so I stretched it out to 100 and beyond and it did very well. I think the rifle deserves more than open sights so I mounted a Leupold freedom 1-4x20 scope on it with Leupold medium rings on a DIP picatinny rail. I believe its the perfect set up for this rifle, the small scope profile fits the rifle perfectly, and will also take advantage of its accuracy. I won't know until next weekend as that's my next range run, but I'm feeling good about this rifles potential as a real decent shooter.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:02 PM
trumph

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the short barrel carbine H001L. I put a Vortex 2x7 rimfire on it, and was amazed it put 8 of 10 shots you could cover with a dime at 50 yards with sv ammo.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:06 PM
colt45sa
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Henry accuracy

Google "plinkster" and watch him with a Henry. Then ask your questions about accuracy~!
Old 05-09-2019, 08:45 PM
snaredog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Small Game Rifle / 20 inch barrel

I picked up a Henry S.G.R. with the 20 inch barrel and I was impressed with it. I was shoot some Remington Thunderbolts though it. I started out at 25 yards and we was shooting soda (pop) cans hanging from string. I have to say that it was accurate for a plinker. Not planning on putting a scope on it. I haven't shot with peep sights for years. I had three other people shooting it also and It was just as accurate for them also. Then I moved back to 40 yards and I was shooting against my son with his AR 5.56 we both shot 20 rounds and neither one of us missed a can, I couldn't believe I stood my ground with this S.G.R. This is my first Henry I'll tell you. I like my CZ 455 and Ruger 10/22"s and other 22's. People say that Remington Thunderbolts very dirty and are not accurate at all. Well this Henry likes them. This rifle is new and never fired up to now. Picked it up last February of 2019. Next I'll have to see how it likes CCI mini mags next when I get time. Henry I have to say I'm was impressed. Oh by the way I'm 66 years old. Good thing I didn't miss those cans at 40 years. I would have heard about it the rest of the day from him.

Last edited by snaredog; 05-10-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:51 PM
tubeshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool Small Game Carbine / 16.5 inch barrel

Only fired a few rounds, but I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy. The gun definitely likes to be cycled briskly. I have a .22S/L/LR version.

I was afraid the sights would take a whole lot to dial in, but that was not the case. Fun little gun to shoot. I like it pretty good so far.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:18 PM
TimboJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Small Game Carbine

I'll be 53 years old next week. I have, over the years, been extremely involved in long range centerfire rifle shooting. I've had several rifles built for that specific purpose (6 BRs with tight neck chambers, wildcat cartridges, etc). I also have my share of really accurate 22s (built 10/22, CZ, Sako). I REALLY love to shoot.

Recently I bought a Henry small game carbine simply to "plink" with. You know ... pop cans, mud holes, .... that kind of thing. And I bought a bucket of Remington Golden Bullets on sale $57.99 for 1400 rounds.

To say I was pleasantly surprised with this rifle is an understatement. With the Skinner peep sight pop cans don't have a chance inside of 80 yards ..... and I can wallow out the same spot in a mudhole at twice that distance.

My point is ....... if you like to shoot ..... and want to do it inexpensively ..... buy one of these small game rifles and 10 bricks of cheap ammo. You will have more fun than you can imagine. In fact, it has reconnected me with my 14 year old self.