Golden boy or 24" frontier long barrel? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:44 PM
Dodgeboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

<<LOVE mine but I feel like I should be wearing white cotton gloves when I'm shooting it...>>
Agreed. Mine is the only rifle I own that goes in a full gun sock when not in use.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:36 AM
Iowan1776

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
My son-in-law has the Golden Boy and I have the Frontier long barrel. There is nothing wrong with either so I can't help you make a decision. I tried a scope on mine to see how accurate it is. Pretty darn good. It hangs really close to my Marlin 39A. I went to a tang mounted peep sight and it's still right there with the Marlin now that it has a peep sight. My groups aren't quite as tight as with a scope with either rifle but that's my fault.
I thought about a tang sight, did you go with marbles or Lyman? Not trying to Hijack would just like to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigkahuna808 View Post
Pretty does help as a like guns that look sexy sitting in the safe or on the range table. The look of the golden boy should be forever timeless.

I've had a cz ultra lux before which is a 28.5" barrel with long sight radius. But dont think it was any more accurate than the varmint.

So that being said I'm still torn as to which to buy. And no noni dont want to buy both yet...

Most likely I'd run SV ammo that isnt too crazy expensive. Maybe geco or cci sv. Have you guys found that the Henry's perform better with sv or hv ammo?
Now you could go with a skinner sight on either, but if you go with a skinner on the long barreled one you’d have a ton of sight radius.

For me the golden boy hasn’t really appealed to me because I’d be scared to air it outside. I’d go for the Long Barrel Frontier. If possible I’d go for threaded so I could run really quiet.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:45 PM
johNTO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowan1776 View Post
If possible Id go for threaded so I could run really quiet.
A 24"bbl with a suppressor must be quieter than a mouse fart.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2019, 10:53 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 24 is already quiet with standard velocity ammo.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:49 PM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Personally I've always done better with longer barrels, both in rifles and shotguns. The balance for me is better. Plus, the sight plane is different if you shoot iron sights. With that experience why am I trying to buy a Steyr Zephyr II with a 19.5" barrel? Who knows what lurks in the heart of an addicted shooter?
Old 02-12-2019, 09:05 AM
wink1957

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the threaded 24 frontier and it is QUIET TACK DRIVER Excellent excellent rifle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2019, 11:15 AM
ltcnav
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have always read that an 18" barrel is optimum for a 22. It reaches max velocity at that length, longer slows down the bullet. Also, longer barrel means more time in the barrel for the bullet, more time to hold steady. Numbers for this are probably more theoretical than practical, so my choices boil down to personal preference, how does it look, feel, and shoot for you.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:36 PM
rep1954

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Some interesting results for reading.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
Old 02-13-2019, 09:45 AM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johNTO View Post
A 24"bbl with a suppressor must be quieter than a mouse fart.....
Yep, it is! I have one scoped and it's a great squirrel rifle! Consistent nickel to dime sized groups at 32 yds with Fiocchi sub sonic hollow points.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:58 PM
wink1957

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i have the threaded 24 frontier and let me tell ya shooting subs it is Quiet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2019, 08:04 AM
JHB51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am considering the frontier model with a tang sight for a 22 Silhouette rifle
Old 08-04-2019, 10:05 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I posted and then just forgot about this thread. If you are going to use a peep sight the tang mounted one is my preference. It gives you the longest sight radius and is the closest to your eye. I find the eye to sight distance to be important. Closer, up to a point, the better.

I put a Lyman on mine because the Marbles was unavailable at the time and I was impatient to get the rifle rigged out. There is no windage adjustment with the Lyman. Not a problem if front sight drift is enough to get you on target. Mine was going to have it's front sight significantly off from the center of the barrel and I didn't want that so shimming one side of the peep sight was my option. It's not the quickest way to sight in a rifle. The Marbles with windage adjustment costs more but I was wishing I had waited before I finished with the Lyman. Now that I have it shooting to point of aim with my preferred ammo which is CCI SV I'm happy but an ammo change would probably mess up the rifle's zero. Another reason to chose the Marbles.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:28 AM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB51 View Post
I am considering the frontier model with a tang sight for a 22 Silhouette rifle
The go to gun for smallbore NRA Lever Action Silhouette use to be the Marlin 39A.

That is changing now that Henry released their 24" Frontier. More and more Henry's are now showing up a matchs and there were a lot of them at the Nationals last month.

My wife use to shoot with a mint 1958 39A, but it hasn't left the safe since she shot a 24" Henry that I bought for friends to shoot at our range.

BTW, the vast majority of small bore silhouette shooters use a Williams FP peep sight. The FP-GR-TK is the one that fits on grooved receivers like the Henry.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:47 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sold my 39a earlier this year to a chicken killer to use in cowboy silhouette matches. I found I preferred the Henry over the Marlin.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:55 PM
JHB51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamP View Post
The go to gun for smallbore NRA Lever Action Silhouette use to be the Marlin 39A.

That is changing now that Henry released their 24" Frontier. More and more Henry's are now showing up a matchs and there were a lot of them at the Nationals last month.

My wife use to shoot with a mint 1958 39A, but it hasn't left the safe since she shot a 24" Henry that I bought for friends to shoot at our range.

BTW, the vast majority of small bore silhouette shooters use a Williams FP peep sight. The FP-GR-TK is the one that fits on grooved receivers like the Henry.
I had a standard carbine that I drilled and taped the action cover a few years ago for a Williams sight it came back to zero quite close after cleaning. Now I want to try something different. May have to look into one of those long tube scopes also.