Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:19 PM
2011ERIC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smith 617 arrived today

First let me say that this is my first K-frame rimfire and doubtful that it will be the last. It arrived at the LGS today from Budís. Fit and finish seem to be really good. Doesnít seem to have an issue with ďclockingĒ of the barrel. I guess I was expecting to open the box and see a host of imperfections but I didnít. I guess love may be blind. The gun is heavy but not uncomfortably so. I was afraid that the 6Ē barrel with be nose heavy but I think it balances very well. The double action pull is heavy but smooth and single action feels great. I havenít had to chance to check both on the trigger gauge. My plan is for some nice wood grips and a Vortex Venom sight. A range report as soon as the South Mississippi weather permits.

Iím not a professional photographer so forgive the poor lighting and lack of originality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2019, 08:46 PM
motovita

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I just shipped the same gun back to S&W today. It spit terribly both out the gap and back through the loaded chambers in the cylinder, and the single action trigger release was terrible. I was told to expect a 4 week turn around.
I suggest that you shoot the gun ASAP so you know if there are issues to deal with. I get the impression that the warranty dept. functions as the quality control dept. these days.
I have an older 4" 617 10 shot that had none of these issues.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:55 PM
2011ERIC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Motovita,

Thatís exactly what Iím afraid of. Hopefully I can get some rounds through it this weekend. Iím not a revolver expert so Iím not exactly sure of all the things to look for. I was hoping that I would get lucky and not have all issues that Iíve heard about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019, 09:16 PM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don`t know if you have ever heard of Esmeralda grips, but you might look at her site and see if she has anything for your very nice new Smith. Don`t be afraid to ask about other woods that she might have. Top notch workmanship. That revolver will bring you much pride of ownership for many years, congratulations.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:24 PM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just bought one with the 4" barrel. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet but can't wait. I bought mine as an understudy for the 686 with 3" barrel that I carry. Looking at yours now makes me want to buy the one with the 6" barrel to compliment my 686 with 6" too. Please give us a range report as soon as possible. I won't be able to shoot mine for some while as I had complications during eye surgery and it will be several months before I get my vision back. Congratulations on a fine purchase.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:29 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
First, congratulations! You bought a great gun that will last you and your family a couple of lifetimes of shooting.

As for grips, I find that larger square butt grips help with managing the 6" barrel version. Mine came from a Thai maker off Ebay but one of the great joy of owning a W K frame is that your choices are limitless.

If you want to lighten the trigger a bit, it's not hard to install a 14# rebound spring. It makes a considerable difference. YouTube can guide you through it.( Leave the main spring alone.)

Lastly, you might get yourself a few DS Speed or Speedbeez loaders and a loading block.

Btw, The "clocking "problems were not uncommon but that was a few years back. I've bought two new production 617's in recent years and both had no issues. Most I see that come through the shop I work at are likewise just fine.

Last edited by Tacoma; 01-02-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:54 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Look at the forcing cone area, it should be smooth and well defined. My 617 was bad for leading the cone and poor accuracy. It looked like this:

It had a threaded appearance, it was so badly finished. I was able to find the Brownell's kit to re-cut the forcing cone to this:

Now it is a great shooter, accurate and no more leading. I could have sent it back to S&W but I do my own minor gunsmithing so I wanted to do it myself. If yours does not look good, by all means notify them immediately, they will even pay shipping both ways and fix it promptly. A shame that this is happening, for no reason other than poor quality control.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:32 AM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Eric,
Congratulations on the new revolver. I Love my 617.
When I purchased mine New / Used and shot it I found out why I got it so cheap. It was spitting out the side of the revolver terribly. The leading was also terrible. Read some posts about the forcing cone (thanks 'ol shooter) and mine there was hardly if any forcing cone chamfer. Called S&W on the issue they paid for Shipping both ways and had the pistol just over a week and it was back at my door. Now shoots grate after they redid the forcing cone.

So don't worry if it does spit, S&W will fix her up nice. This seems to be a common problem with this model.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:06 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good luck with your 617. I love mine and find the 6 inches not to be muzzle heavy with the right grips. I use Hogue Big Butts or Pachmyer Signatures. Both fill my hand.

I had the same problem with spitting but recut my forcing cone and the problem went away. Groups also go much tighter.

Mine is highly tuned but now shoots CCI Mini Mags very well as well as Blazer. For competition I use Federal High Velocity.

Even if you don't do your forcing cone you will get years of good service from your 617.

Last edited by AzShooter; 01-03-2019 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Picture.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:34 AM
2011ERIC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DInghram View Post
I don`t know if you have ever heard of Esmeralda grips, but you might look at her site and see if she has anything for your very nice new Smith. Don`t be afraid to ask about other woods that she might have. Top notch workmanship. That revolver will bring you much pride of ownership for many years, congratulations.

I have seen her work on some fancy 1911ís. Beautiful grips!!! I looked in her online catalogue and only saw an option for J-frames.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:45 AM
2011ERIC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tacoma,

I looked at Ahrendís round to square butt conversion grips in Goncalo Alves. Those are appealing to me but have never shot a revolver with them. Iíve never really been a fan of fingers groves but the Ahrendís are available without them. I have a 29 and I am not a fan of the grips that came on it. They flare out a little at the bottom of the grip and seems to make the revolver want to point low. I donít really care for the recoil of the 4Ē with magnum loads either lol.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:48 AM
2011ERIC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jstainsfield103,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I didnít see your post until I arrived at work this morning so I didnít have a chance to look at the forcing cone. I think I might have to go home sick lol and get some rounds through it lol

Old 01-03-2019, 09:25 AM
kidneyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the 6" 617 also. It's my favorite revolver. Very,very accurate with mini mags. Purchased about 2 years ago and like the vast majority of 617 owners have had zero issues with it. I'll be purchasing the 4" version this year.
As I'm sure you already know it shoots any 22 ammo, shorts, longs and LR, and my experience has been that it will shoot minute of spray can out to about 50yds with the crappiest ammo out there.
Mine has an Allchin mount a Vortex Venom.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1546525426
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3361.jpg (238.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-03-2019, 09:46 AM
2011ERIC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am planning on the Alchin/Vortex Venom combo. Hopefully Iíll get to wring it out this weekend. Iím definitely excited being this is my first DA rimfire. I love the feel of this gun!!

Old 01-03-2019, 10:05 AM
motovita

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
Eric,
Congratulations on the new revolver. I Love my 617.
When I purchased mine New / Used and shot it I found out why I got it so cheap. It was spitting out the side of the revolver terribly. The leading was also terrible. Read some posts about the forcing cone (thanks 'ol shooter) and mine there was hardly if any forcing cone chamfer. Called S&W on the issue they paid for Shipping both ways and had the pistol just over a week and it was back at my door. Now shoots grate after they redid the forcing cone.

So don't worry if it does spit, S&W will fix her up nice. This seems to be a common problem with this model.
The "forcing cone" on the 617 I just sent back looked more like a small chamfer than a cone, and not particularly smooth. I'll see what it looks like when it comes back.