Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:11 AM
Frankr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Federal UM1 Story

You really can't find too much accurate Information on the old Federal Made UM1 ammo. I think it would make a great Christmas story. Like How it was made,when ect. I also heard they really did not win a gold medal with it that they actually shot a higher grade UM1 made especially for their rifle. I just think is would make a great historic story of what some claim was the best 22LR ammo ever produced.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:39 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I just paid a semi-stupid price to find out how good it is. When its here and tested I'll know more. John
Old 12-24-2018, 05:19 PM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Check out this thread for more information on the original Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...&highlight=UM1)

The Olympic medals were won with this ammo, but the shooters had their rifles tested with various lots of it, and were sold the lot that their rifle preferred (just as is done today by Eley, Lapua, etc).

I still have three bricks (not for sale) that I use for 100 and 200 yard benchrest matches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2018, 05:48 PM
Rimfire-CA
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Federal UM1

Pat, are you related to Bob McCoy?

Bob was in-charge of the ballistics lab at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds. Bob told me that he was involved with the project at Federal to produce this ammo. He also told me that they had actually designed a better product that Federal decided to not produce.

I still have quite a bit of the UM1 and 922, some marked A and some B. In my rifles the 922 B is probably the best.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:46 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is the Mn story I herd.
Fed wanted the Olympic shooting team to use there new UM1 ammo, but the Olympic team said we are ready too use Eley ammo and Fed. UM1 is HV ammo.
Well Fed. said we will custom make are ammo too fit the individual shooter & rifle too what ever there hearts wanted.
So ya the ammo was custom made for the Olympic shooting team.

Midwest Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 12-24-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:24 PM
Frankr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes it does have a crack to it. I think the B was subsonic. I have 7 rounds left. I never had but 5 boxes of it. Lot 967. How did it shoot well I was playing with a old KoO 82 classic. Light weight rifle 3-9 power scope and I said well lets see how well it could shoot with some good ammo so I broke out the UM1 and put 5 rounds through it at 50 yards. The first four went into a hole that measures .190 I was a little shaky and struggling with the 9 power as to the same hold place and the pressure was on due to the first four and I feel I lost the shot. If I had more I am sure if I kept shooting I could have put five there. That is how well it has shot for me in a few different rifles and yes I always felt it shot better in colder weather. like 40 even down to 30 DEG F.

I do think it is very interesting and it would be a great story to have all the fact from beginning to end. It is 20 Year old ammo now. Sorry 30 Year old Ammo

Last edited by Frankr; 12-27-2018 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:45 PM
drknite

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Federal UM 1.

Story I heard was the stuff below serial number 2000 was excellent. Mine is 2400 something serial number and is just fair at best.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:47 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Federal UM, news release of April 29, 2009.

I found this in my notes when I was buying a case. Most money I ever spent on ammunition. It did not do enough better than other good ammo to prompt me to buy more.

===========

NEWS RELEASES
UltraMatch® Rimfire Target Loads Return to Federal Premium®

Open image as high-res.FP_GoldMedalMatchUltraMatch22LRTarget_L.jpg

ANOKA, Minn. – April 29, 2009 – In 1992, Federal Premium® UltraMatch® helped the U.S. bring home two Olympic medals. This year, that level of performance returns with two new match-grade rimfire options.

These new 40-grain offerings combine the latest bullet and lube technologies, and stringent quality control for unbelievable performance. They are built in conjunction with renowned rimfire manufacturer RWS. Shooters looking for the most accurate target ammunition offered can again look to Federal.

“These new offerings are all about demand,” said Rick Stoeckel, brand manager. “When we attend consumer shows, countless rimfire shooters ask us why we don’t offer UltraMatch loads anymore. Because of this, we decided to work to provide these shooters with a product they could trust. The new offerings definitely bring back the level of performance UltraMatch is known for.”

Available now:

Part No. / Description
UM22 / 40-gr Lead UltraMatch 1080 fps
922A / 40-gr Lead Match 1080 fps

For more information on UltraMatch, or the entire Federal Premium lineup, go to www.federalpremium.com.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:49 PM
HARDBALLER

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
I found this in my notes when I was buying a case. Most money I ever spent on ammunition. It did not do enough better than other good ammo to prompt me to buy more.

===========

NEWS RELEASES
UltraMatch® Rimfire Target Loads Return to Federal Premium®

Open image as high-res.FP_GoldMedalMatchUltraMatch22LRTarget_L.jpg

ANOKA, Minn. – April 29, 2009 – In 1992, Federal Premium® UltraMatch® helped the U.S. bring home two Olympic medals. This year, that level of performance returns with two new match-grade rimfire options.

These new 40-grain offerings combine the latest bullet and lube technologies, and stringent quality control for unbelievable performance. They are built in conjunction with renowned rimfire manufacturer RWS. Shooters looking for the most accurate target ammunition offered can again look to Federal.

“These new offerings are all about demand,” said Rick Stoeckel, brand manager. “When we attend consumer shows, countless rimfire shooters ask us why we don’t offer UltraMatch loads anymore. Because of this, we decided to work to provide these shooters with a product they could trust. The new offerings definitely bring back the level of performance UltraMatch is known for.”

Available now:

Part No. / Description
UM22 / 40-gr Lead UltraMatch 1080 fps
922A / 40-gr Lead Match 1080 fps

For more information on UltraMatch, or the entire Federal Premium lineup, go to www.federalpremium.com.
UM1 is a totally different animal. Developed and manufactured in the U.S. by Federal. UM22 and 922A are rebranded RWS I believe. The UM1 cases had a dimple in the center of the bottom of the case. It was suppose to help with consistency in ignition. I believe some Russian match 22 ammo had the same feature, the dimple.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:16 PM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Pat, are you related to Bob McCoy?
No relationship, but I have read a lot of his information.

My information came from talking to the Federal reps at the USA Shooting Coaches College in Colorado Springs. It took several days of rephrasing questions to them, so they could answer without giving away any "trade secrets".
Old 12-26-2018, 09:15 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDBALLER View Post
UM1 is a totally different animal. Developed and manufactured in the U.S. by Federal. UM22 and 922A are rebranded RWS I believe. The UM1 cases had a dimple in the center of the bottom of the case. It was suppose to help with consistency in ignition. I believe some Russian match 22 ammo had the same feature, the dimple.
This won't ad much in terms of answering the op's question, but I can add that the UM1B ammo (purchased in the early 1990's) was the best LONG RANGE ammo (200 yards) I had ever shot through my 40X and Win 52. I was not shooting any rimfire benchrest at the time, but did shoot the local 200 yd matches (shot prone with sling, no rests allowed) whenever I could. I won quite a few of these matches and can say with certainty that the UM1B ammo was the difference. The "B" designation indicated "slower" velocity, most likely subsonic. It was just absolutely consistent, you could tell simply by looking at the minimal vertical dispersion on target @ 200. The "922" offering was available concurrently with the UM1 stuff at the time, and the Rep that was selling both said that the 922 was simply repackaged UM1 ammo "lots" that didn't quite meet the accuracy specs of UM1 ammo. Not sure how true that statement is, but it does make sense. The 922 was still very good ammo, and was "bargain" priced compared to the UM1. Both designations had the "dimpled" cases. After Federal shut down the UM1/922 production lines, some of the dimpled cases "left over" found there way into other Federal rimfire offerings until the supply of cases was used up. Federal was not about to scrap these cases, as they were probably very expensive to produce. After the remaining supply of these was exhausted, the dimpled cases went the way of the Dinosaurs. It would be a VERY interesting read if the ENTIRE and historically correct version of the UM1 ammo production were to be told. I for one would be very interested in reading it!
Old 12-26-2018, 10:40 AM
ppipe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Was a very devout user of both UM1 and the lower grade 900 (not 922 as has been previously mentioned). All I can add to the UM1 story is part of what happened at the end when Federal was "cleaning up " the tail ends ; evidently all the odds and ends were given identical lot # labels and shipped out as such - I personally bought a number of these" tail end" bricks, and , when I opened them up found that though each box had an identical lot # label on it if I peeled of the top label another lot # appeared underneath-shot the last of this ammo up this past spring through my 52C at 100 yds, and, it was stiil printing sub MOA groups consistently. As an aside when I was buying this ammo in the early 2000's UM1 was selling for something like $13 CDN a brick , 900 was around $8-9 a brick and Winchester Power Points were about $25 a brick. Still have 4 bricks of 900 left as I found that in my 52C there wasn't that noticeable a difference in group size at 100 yds given the price differential.Currently I am shooting both Eley Tenex and RWS R50 (dependent upon rifle preference) and both the UM1 and 900 were easily the equivalent .
Old 12-26-2018, 10:48 AM
ppipe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CORRECTION TO PREVIOUS POST
The pricing information should read UM1 was $130CDN a brick and the 900 was about $80-90 a brick versus Winchester Power Points at about $25 a brick. Sorry for the" fat fingers ".
Old 12-26-2018, 01:36 PM
flylo

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
I have about a brick of Russian brass cased Olymic? ammo I need to try. also some shorts.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:43 PM
Triggershoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
[QUOTE=ppipe;11282585]Was a very devout user of both UM1 and the lower grade 900 (not 922 as has been previously mentioned).

ppipe--- Thanks for the correction on the "900" designation (I incorrectly mentioned "922" which is obviously the newer offering). Hey, I'm old and that was A LOT of years ago (like 30!) when I was shooting that stuff. The old memory cells are clearly not firing on all "8" these days, you see... I surely do hope someone (perhaps an ex or maybe even a current Federal ammo employee) would pen the real story of UM1/900 ammo. I'm sure it would be VERY interesting.