Cutts Compensators - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:36 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Cutts Compensators

I have a Winchester Model 50 with a Cutts Compensator. I got the gun new a very long time ago, had the Cutts installed a few years later and have hardly used it since. Nothing wrong with the gun, but I spent 40 years living where shooting was frowned on and there were other things to do.

I brought it out of retirement when we moved a few years ago and the local wisdom is that the Cutts is a problem because modern wads can expand and snag on the slits. A few minutes on Google found nothing about this problem. In fact, people seem to like it and it sounds like a plus in the ads. Tubes can be over $100. I had 2 tubes: full and open and recently found modified for $5 at a flea market. I'm all set to go if I can shoot this thing safely.

I'm a rimfire shooter. This is my only shotgun. When I go out to our range and walk over to the trap range, it would take 10 of mine to equal the value of some of the shotguns I see and their owners have shot tens of thousands more shells than I ever will. When they tell me I have a potential problem I'm in no position to argue. I've run a few boxes of shells through the gun with the Cutts and it was fine but maybe I was lucky.

What do you think? Is a Cutts Comp with modern shotgun shell wads OK?
Old 12-18-2018, 12:00 PM
I6turbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Not a problem. There have been millions and millions of plastic wads fired through Cutts Compensators and I doubt you can find a factual account of an actual issue.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:23 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Thanks. I'll take it out there again one of these days and see if I can hit anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2018, 04:13 PM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
The only "problem" with them I have ever heard is that the purists will turn their noses up at them due to the looks (which I actually enjoy), and the other thing that they sure as heck make the gun louder on the firing line. It works just like any standard rifle muzzle break, nice for the shooter, not so much for the others on the squad. The concussion is quite impressive but it does get old after a while.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:52 PM
Racer X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
My dad's private label High Standard pump 12 guage has one. I like the looks. Kinda reminds me of the High Standard ray gun .22 olympic Target Pistol.