My new CZ 527 17 Hornet with factory threaded barrel. (Pictures) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:47 PM
rockyriver
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My new CZ 527 17 Hornet with factory threaded barrel. (Pictures)

So I ordered a new CZ 527 in 17 Hornet last week and got it in at the local gun store.
The Scope and rings will be in this coming week, So stay tuned as I post pictures of it once I install them.
I brought it home and installed on the threaded barrel an adaptor (from CNCWARRIOR) to convert the 15mm factory threading to 5/8 inch the same as my Silencerco Hybrid suppressor.
I also installed for photos only, a Bipod because I shoot from a rest and sand bags.
Silly impatient me took the gun outside and fired a few rounds off with no sights just to hear the suppressors muffled effect results and the noise was like that of a non suppressed 22LR.
Here are the photos, I hope you enjoy.

From Right to left: 17 Hornet, 17 WSM, 17 HMR

Last edited by rockyriver; 12-16-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:19 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
527 Varmint - 17 Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyriver View Post
So I ordered a new CZ 527 in 17 Hornet last week and got it in at the local gun store.
rockyriver - Congratulations on the 527 Varmint 17-Hornet. I have been considering and researching one of those myself due to the consistently - inconsistent quality of the 17 HMR ammo. I will be interested in your range reports when you get the optics mounted. I had a Savage 25 Varmint few years back, however was not pleased with the experience, and traded for a Tikka in 223. I have 527's in 204 Ruger, 221 Fireball, 222 Rem and am pleased with all of them. I will keep an eye on this thread for enabling assistance.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:43 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjferber View Post
rockyriver - Congratulations on the 527 Varmint 17-Hornet. I have been considering and researching one of those myself due to the consistently - inconsistent quality of the 17 HMR ammo. I will be interested in your range reports when you get the optics mounted. I had a Savage 25 Varmint few years back, however was not pleased with the experience, and traded for a Tikka in 223. I have 527's in 204 Ruger, 221 Fireball, 222 Rem and am pleased with all of them. I will keep an eye on this thread for enabling assistance.
The 17 Hornet is a really fun little cartridge to shoot. I bought my first CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet a few years ago then bought another one this past spring. They're a whole lot of fun to shoot, they have nearly no recoil, and are relatively quiet for a centerfire. I shoot mine suppressed as well and they just put a smile on my face every time I pull the trigger. I refer my 17 Hornet's as kind of being like a 17 WSM on super steroids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2018, 03:25 PM
Trigger1212
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rocky

My 527 in 17HH is hands down my favorite rifle. Non threaded but love it anyway! Probably my most consistently accurate rifle I own. As long as I do MY part it will shoot 10 shot groups under an inch with most groups in the .5 to .75. Love it

Cheers!

Wade
Old 12-30-2018, 06:39 PM
rjferber

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
With the new year right around the corner, I am giving more thought to new projects for 2019 and the CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet keeps gnawing its way near the top of the list. However, Me, Myself & I continue to debate the pros & cons of moving forward. Lack of funding has a large bearing on the project at this point, but we think we will in a better position come mid-January.

I have been researching and cannot seem to find much in the form of negative responses to the 527 Varmint 17 Hornet, nor did I expect too . . . as I am very pleased with the (4) other 527's currently in the inventory. RFC members - Trigger1212, B23, & rockyriver all seem pleased with the 527 17 Hornet experience so am using that as part of my enablement process.

Reloading for the 17 Hornet looks as though it would be a good option bringing the ammo costs to the $0.28 per round if one gets (10) reloads out of the cases. While that is a bit higher per round cost than the 17 HMR, I feel the 17 Hornet to be a much better solution than the consistently inconsistent performance & quality one receives from the CCI 17 HMR ammo offerings. At least that has been my experience with 1,500 rounds through (4) different rifles. Based on what I read, Hornady seems to have worked out initial reloading issues with the cases and they stand up to multiple reloads much better at this point.

So my reason for horning in on rockyriver's thread is to ask you experienced 17 Hornet users are you reloading or buying factory ammo for your 17 Hornet's?

I am looking for sub MOA results . . . based on an MPBR goal on a 3" target out to 225 yards hoping to achieve group sizes of no more than 1" @ 225. I know high expectations with a factory barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: png 17 Hornet MPBR.png (30.9 KB, 211 views)
Old 12-30-2018, 07:36 PM
construe24
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I never could get reloads to match factory ammo accuracy and consistency so all I use now is factory fodder. Trying to find brass in tall grass is also a pain.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:13 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
So my reason for horning in on rockyriver's thread is to ask you experienced 17 Hornet users are you reloading or buying factory ammo for your 17 Hornet's?

I am looking for sub MOA results . . . based on an MPBR goal on a 3" target out to 225 yards hoping to achieve group sizes of no more than 1" @ 225. I know high expectations with a factory barrel.
I've shot both factory and my own reloads. I found a pretty decent deal on some Hornady Superformance 17 Hornet ammo and bought a few cases of it. I've pretty much only been shooting the factory ammo from both of my 527 17 Hornets.

My hand loads of 12.2gr 1680 w/20gr Vmax actually shoots a fair bit better, I think they mostly do because my hand loads are much more consistent and the ES is much less than the factory ammo, but the factory ammo still shoots well under 1 MOA and is generally under 3/4 MOA or less.

I haven't found any great deals on Hornady 17 Hornet brass and since it doesn't cost a whole lot less than loaded ammo, for the most part, I've stuck with shooting the factory stuff but once I go through all of that factory ammo I'll switch over to exclusively shooting my hand loads.

Also, with regard to the CZ 527 17 Hornet, I have two of them and they are a great high quality little gun, BUT, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention they can sometimes be a little quirky with regard to how well they feed from the magazine. IMO it's certainly not a deal breaker but they are far from being butter smooth with regard to how well they feed. I know many have ditched using the magazine entirely and gone to using them as a single shot using the single shot follower from James Calhoon.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:11 PM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Congrats!

A friend and l went back and forth on the 17 Hornet vs. the 17 WSM. With the initial issues of the B mag and 17 WSM ammo, we decided to go 17 Hornet. When we bought our CZ 527s the ammo was not yet available in our area and we wondering if we had made a bad mistake. We were able to get a few rounds before we went on a PD shoot and l just could not help from smiling. You are going to just ďLOVEĒ it! Itís quite, no recoil, and shoots like a laser. I havenít shot anything but factory ammo and have no regrets. I will say this though, the end results on a PD hit are quite different than with the 223.

I recently purchased a Volquartsen in 17 WSM and havenít had the opportunity to try in the PD fields yet, but am looking forward to comparing the two.

Not trying to hijack your thread OP, but if anyone has compared the two calibers on accuracy and PD impact l would love to hear it.

Best of Luck
Wonderdog1
Old 01-05-2019, 09:55 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderdog1 View Post

Not trying to hijack your thread OP, but if anyone has compared the two calibers on accuracy and PD impact l would love to hear it.
Didn't want to hijack the thread so I sent you a PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:21 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
[QUOTE=rockyriver;11268979]So I ordered a new CZ 527 in 17 Hornet last week and got it in at the local gun store.
The Scope and rings will be in this coming week, So stay tuned as I post pictures of it once I install them.
I brought it home and installed on the threaded barrel an adaptor (from CNCWARRIOR) to convert the 15mm factory threading to 5/8 inch the same as my Silencerco Hybrid suppressor.
I also installed for photos only, a Bipod because I shoot from a rest and sand bags.
Silly impatient me took the gun outside and fired a few rounds off with no sights just to hear the suppressors muffled effect results and the noise was like that of a non suppressed 22LR.

Do you happen to have a weight on your Varmint? Trying to decide if I want a Varmint or the American.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:49 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
[QUOTE=wkd;11298769]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyriver View Post

Do you happen to have a weight on your Varmint? Trying to decide if I want a Varmint or the American.
WKD sir if you not walking a mile when hunting I would suggest the Varmint. My 527 American in 17HH is really light compared to my 527 Varmint rifle...which does not weigh that much anyway. I have not weighed my 527 in 17 HH yet but I do have two 527s in the same caliber of 222 in American and Varmint so you can use these two for a comparison. Hang on I will go and weigh them for you.

My 527 222 American weighs: 7lbs 12.5 OZ with a Grand Slam 5-20x scope
My 527 222 Varmint weighs: 9lbs 1.25 OZ with the same GS scope 5-20x scope

My 527 17 HH American weighs 7lbs 9.50 OZ with a V-16 on top.

my 222s

Here is a earlier picture without the 222 Varmint: front to back in 17 HH, 22 HH, 222 and 223 Royal

Hope this helps

Signalman
Old 01-06-2019, 04:34 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Both of my CZ 527 17 Hornets are the Varmint model but one of them I had the barrel shortened up to 21 inches so it's probably real close in weight to the American.

My 17 Hornet that is a standard length varmint model weighs 8lbs 2oz but I have a fairly light scope (Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42) on that one so that probably explains why it's a little lighter than the varmint model Signalman1 has. With a LW optic on the varmint model and a little heavier one on the American, there's really not that big of a difference in their weights. If you put a LW optic on the American it would obviously increase the difference though.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Both of my CZ 527 17 Hornets are the Varmint model but one of them I had the barrel shortened up to 21 inches so it's probably real close in weight to the American.

My 17 Hornet that is a standard length varmint model weighs 8lbs 2oz but I have a fairly light scope (Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42) on that one so that probably explains why it's a little lighter than the varmint model Signalman1 has. With a LW optic on the varmint model and a little heavier one on the American, there's really not that big of a difference in their weights. If you put a LW optic on the American it would obviously increase the difference though.
Wkd sir my 527 Varmint in 222 without any scope is 8lbs 10.5 OZ and now that I have an 527 American in 17 HH I now wish I would have bought the varmint model instead. My 527 A in 17HH and a V-16 on top weighs less than my 452 Lux with V-16, both my 452 FS w GS 4-16x, 455 Trainer with same V-16 scope on it, 452 Deluxe American in 22mag also with a V-16 scope on top. So yes its very light and I wish it weighed more.

So I would recommend you go for the Varmint model. Good luck on your quest.

Signalman
Old 01-10-2019, 06:40 PM
rjferber

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
CZ 527 17 Hornet

The CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet just arrived. I am waiting on a set of Warne rings and will provide a picture or two. The wood is the typical Turkish walnut so nothing to write home about, but very satisfied with the overall appearance.

I performed an initial cleaning . . . the magazine was dripping in oil, the action & bolt are nicely polished and worked smoothly. It did seem slightly sluggish when stripping the first & second round out of a fully loaded magazine. In fact loading the rounds into the magazine was not as smooth as my other 527 calibers. I think that will smooth out with use and/or I could disassemble and polish the internal edges. I cycled a couple of magazines through the action and everything else seemed to work properly.

Looking forward to the first range session with some Hornady 20 gr V-Max ammo as I build up a supply of brass for reloading in the future. A side question has anyone tried the Federal ammo and if so your experience / results compared to the Hornady?

Good thread - rockyriver - Appreciate the input from "everyone" as it was very helpful in making my decision to acquire another CZ 527 in this caliber.

Stated another way "thanks" to the enablers . . .
Old 01-10-2019, 11:01 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet just arrived. I am waiting on a set of Warne rings and will provide a picture or two. The wood is the typical Turkish walnut so nothing to write home about, but very satisfied with the overall appearance.

I performed an initial cleaning . . . the magazine was dripping in oil, the action & bolt are nicely polished and worked smoothly. It did seem slightly sluggish when stripping the first & second round out of a fully loaded magazine. In fact loading the rounds into the magazine was not as smooth as my other 527 calibers. I think that will smooth out with use and/or I could disassemble and polish the internal edges. I cycled a couple of magazines through the action and everything else seemed to work properly.

Looking forward to the first range session with some Hornady 20 gr V-Max ammo as I build up a supply of brass for reloading in the future. A side question has anyone tried the Federal ammo and if so your experience / results compared to the Hornady?
Congrats on the CZ 17 Hornet. They're a really fun little gun and I'm sure you will fall in love with it.

As you've found out, CZ does a VERY liberal job of coating these things with oil before they leave the factory. If it's the same as they used on my CZ's, it's kind of a thick syrup like stuff. Mine have always had it on the inside of the barrels as well and so I always give them a good scrub before shooting them for the first time. If yours is anything like mine have been, don't be to shocked when the first couple patches come out looking nasty.

The Federal American Eagle 17 Hornet ammo is actually Hornady 17 Hornet ammo and they are one and the same.

I called Federal this summer and talked to one of their techs about their 17 Hornet ammo because I was curious if they were making their own brass or using brass from someone else. The Federal Tech told me their AE ammo is made for them by Hornady and the only difference was they used a little different colored tip and obviously the packaging is different. I then asked, ok then why don't they show the same velocity, he said because it's Hornady's cartridge and they wanted their ammo to be the faster of the two so their ammo is shot from a 26in test barrel and Federals AE was shot from a 24in barrel, other than that, it's the same stuff. I've got quite a few cases of the Hornady 20gr Vmax so I haven't bought or shot any of the Federal AE stuff but if they're both the same, for me, I don't see the need.