Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:59 PM
BigBill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
B.B. guns

I been getting into more B.B. guns lately. Mainly to practice with and for small game as a prepper. A source of meat. Squirrels and turkeys ect.

Check these out,,

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Umare...chine_Gun/4312

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Legen...ull_Metal/3487

Even the semi auto handguns are a hoot to shoot too.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:08 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a few CO2 BB pistols to play with. They are surprisingly accurate with Hornady Black Diamond BBs. Much better than the regular cheap BBs.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:50 AM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 07:34 PM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Just a plain old Red Ryder for me!!!!
Old 12-10-2018, 07:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Fwiw, small game requires more than a BB Gun. Those are probably somewhat fun but have no serious use.
I have a re-make of the Red Ryder I grew up with for that funnin' around.
BUT, BEWARE, you'll put yer eye out!
For SMALL game up close its a real-deal .177 Air Rifle with some beans; wouldnt ever consider a turkey unless I had one of those large caliber HD pre-charged rifles and even then I am quite sure it would be illegal in my state. You may want to check your game laws.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cabelas ran a free ship sale last month and one of these came for $19.99 plus tax.

https://www.amazon.com/Daisy-Model-7.../dp/B00I0MJOYI

Daisy 74 CO2 BB repeater. In the summer the Pretty One occupies herself blowing bubbles in front of a fan on the front porch. Me, I shoot 'em. The Red Ryder just wore me out cocking and shooting as fast as I could. This Daisy will get those bubbles.

We also have a Sharp Shinned Hawk that picks off our birds near the feeder. A blast of multiple BBs hitting the sat. dish sends the Hawk off for the rest of the day. Between Hawk scaring and just plain fun, my DirectTV dish is looking like a golf balls surface.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:57 PM
GBertolet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Last summer, I was bitten by the bug to restore some of my childhood air guns. I restored 3, a Crosman 140, a Diana 22, and last , but not least, a Crosman V-350 BB gun. It brought back old memories from back in the mid 1960's. Back then, the gun was a real dog, powerwise. Back then it was a status symbol to have the most powerful BB gun in the neighborhood. I was disappointed, and moved on to pellet rifles.

When I dug it out last summer, I chronographed it @ 200 fps. After my rebuild with upgrades, including an improved piston made from drill rod, using an O ring instead of the teflon flat ring, a delrin spring guide to keep the mainspring from kinking, and of course a new mainspring. Velocities are now averaging high 370's fps, with some shots into the low 380's. Boy does it shoot now! The BB's penetrate tin cans now, instead of just denting them slightly.

Crosman BB's are the worst accuracy, and velocity wise, as their diameters vary greatly, and some are more round than others. I found that the Daisy Avanti Match BB's are the best, accuracy wise, and giving the highest velocities of the BB's I tried. They tend to be a little larger in diameter, which seals the bore better from gas blow by. Hornady Black Diamond BB's get a honorable mention also, although due to the color, you cannot see them well in flight, to correct holdover on the longer shots. They are slightly smaller in diameter .173 vs .174 of the Daisy Match, so they shoot 5-10 fps slower than the Daisy, and are almost as accurate, but they are a lot cheaper.

Last edited by GBertolet; 01-09-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:34 PM
KITROBASKIN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes the BB rifles are helping me to regain offhand shooting skills largely lost since youth.
Now our 9 year old son and I are shooting an Air Venturi Lil' Duke (not accurate but fun to hit cans) and a Daisy 499B (nice but can't hit as hard as the other one).

My question to you all is which repeating BB rifle that can mount a scope, that is pumped (either single pump or multi, no CO2) and is at the top in accuracy that can fit the boy. I could go up to $200 but expect nothing out there much beyond $80 or so.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-2019, 03:48 PM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)

This Daisy was the 1st B-B airgun I bought.

This Webley Tempest pellgun was the 2nd airgun I bought

This all-steel 1911 was the most recent handgun

And I sorrowfully sold a Sheridan Blue Streak, but still have a Daisy 1894

Old 06-23-2019, 04:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
Yes the BB rifles are helping me to regain offhand shooting skills largely lost since youth.
Now our 9 year old son and I are shooting an Air Venturi Lil' Duke (not accurate but fun to hit cans) and a Daisy 499B (nice but can't hit as hard as the other one).

My question to you all is which repeating BB rifle that can mount a scope, that is pumped (either single pump or multi, no CO2) and is at the top in accuracy that can fit the boy. I could go up to $200 but expect nothing out there much beyond $80 or so.

Thanks in advance!
The Daisy 499B is one of the most accurate BB guns made, if you are shooting the distance they are designed for. 5 meters is the distance used in NRA BB gun competition and Daisy builds the 499B for this type of competition.
Our 4-H rifle team starts our youngest shooters (4th grade) on these bb rifles. The BB gun program is open to youngsters 4th thru 8th grade. Air rifle is grades 7 thru 12, and rimfire is grades 9 thru 12.

In answer to your question, Crossman has several pump models that have grooved receivers. I bought my granddaughter one (sorry I don’t remember the model #) for her 6th birthday and was very pleasantly surprised by the accuracy.

Last edited by Garugerfan; 06-23-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 06-23-2019, 07:44 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OMG, I've never owned a bb gun!
Old 06-23-2019, 09:24 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The thought of using a MP40 for pest control is sick...............
Old 06-25-2019, 10:14 PM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
That daisy 74 semi auto bb rifle would be lots of fun, but it appears it is no longer available.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:23 PM
KITROBASKIN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Garugerfan for the information about Crosman!

At a listed velocity of 250 fps, the 499B has a hold over of about 18 inches when shooting at 25 yards when sighted in for normal distance. We go for about 10 yards or so. One thing about that rifle is that the barrel is easily removed. Manual states to clean the bore of manufacturing oil until it is running dry. I did this about four times every 100 rounds or so. Being that it is a muzzleloader single shot, regular Daisy Precision BB's go down the barrel the quickest. A lot slower going down is the Hornady Black Diamond's with the Daisy ground shot taking the longest time to descend. This indicates the fit of the BB to the barrel is pretty close. It becomes a pleasant ritual to load, hear the BB go down to the magnet, cock and shoot. The peep sights are not ideal for low light shooting. Of the 6 or so optional front sights, we use the post to let the most light in, but the other front sights offer more precise aiming. By the way, old eyes are able to use the peep sight much better that open, "iron" sights.

What a treat to see the old Daisy CO2 pistol. I had one of those as well. The (5?) rounds of semi automatic was fun for a youngster in those days. Had one of those Webleys too. It wore out after considerable use.

Last edited by KITROBASKIN; 06-26-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:18 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
A plug for a .177 pellet rifle

I have a few Daisy 853 .177 pellet rifles and a lot of other people do too. If you look at the offhand matches at 33 feet here on RFC, you can see how popular they are. A single cocking stroke compresses the air and the trigger releases the air, not a spring. The result is more accuracy. Can't be pumped up. Every dealer in air guns have them. You can get them used and rebuilt from CMP as well.