Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:09 PM
RimfireAU
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
CZ 527 suggestions

Today I traded for a like new condition CZ 527 American in 223.
Planning on using it for coyotes mainly.

I'm really liking the gun but the slotted screws drive me nuts, is anyone aware of a hex or torx option for the action bolts?

What is the preferred scope mount setup on these?
It came with the factory rings but they sit very high.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:07 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a set from J&P for one of my CZ 527's https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/CZ-MOD...-SET-p72239482

They worked fined and are better than the standard slotted ones but they charge a ridiculous amount for them and then charge you an even more ridiculous amount for shipping.

I've used both Leupold and Warne medium rings on my 527's and they turned out great. Either of those medium mounts will work on a scope with up to a 44mm objective. On another 527 I used a scope with a 50mm and on that one I used a picatinny rail from DIP Inc and a set of low rings.

Not sure how new your CZ 527 is but if it has the older style bolt handle, the medium rings may give you clearance issues but that's an easy fix with a new style bolt handle from CZ. There was a recent discussion on this and it has pic comparing the two so you may want to go give that a look and compare what you have to pic.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1141975

Last edited by B23; 12-03-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:14 PM
RimfireAU

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I bought a set from J&P for one of my CZ 527's https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/CZ-MOD...-SET-p72239482

They worked fined and are better than the standard slotted ones but they charge a ridiculous amount for them and then charge you an even more ridiculous amount for shipping.

I've used both Leupold and Warne medium rings on my 527's and they turned out great. Either of those medium mounts will work on a scope with up to a 44mm objective. On another 527 I used a scope with a 50mm and on that one I used a picatinny rail from DIP Inc and a set of low rings.

Not sure how new your CZ 527 is but if it has the older style bolt handle, the medium rings may give you clearance issues but that's an easy fix with a new style bolt handle from CZ. There was a recent discussion on this and it has pic comparing the two so you may want to go give that a look and compare what you have to pic.

Ouch. $25+$8 for two silly screws is a hard pill to swallow.
I'm planning on putting a 40 or smaller scope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 02:28 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
RimfireAU sir most of the rings for CZ 527 fall into three different heights there are:.550". .500" and .425" so your limited on brand and height.

Now for the bolt difference the old style has a stamped mark on the end of the bolt between the hole and the handle and the new style does not have a stamped mark. Look at the picture below to see my two different bolts.

I have a few 527s not as many as some here...but with the factory rings a 50mm objective fits really nice:

Here is a close up of my 527 Royal with Burris 420140 rings and i have a Weaver Grand Slam 5-20x 50mm scope sitting on top.

Here is my 222 with the same scope set up as the Royal.

Congrats on your new rifle and welcome to the club.

Signalman
Old 12-04-2018, 07:56 AM
RimfireAU

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
So it appears that my bolt handle is the older style with the stamping.

I might just get ahold of a 50MM scope and use the factory rings for simplicity.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:37 AM
cmatera

TPC Rating: 
50% (1)
You can also exchange your bolt handle and get one that James Calhoon has re-profiled for scope clearance. He has nice Hunker mounts and single shot feed trays too.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:44 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimfireAU View Post
So it appears that my bolt handle is the older style with the stamping.

I might just get ahold of a 50MM scope and use the factory rings for simplicity.
You can go that route but I'd caution against it, unless you plan to put some sort or cheek riser on. The problem with these taller setups is the comb on the CZ factory stocks is relatively low and using anything taller than the medium Warne or Leupold rings will result in poor ergonomics. I like a good cheek weld and with the taller mounts, like you'll need for a 50mm, you will end up needing to lift your head up slightly to see through the scope. If you're ok with that, then the taller setups will work for you.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:50 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
RimfireAU sir James Calhoon CZ 527 Bolt handle is an exchange set up where you send in your bolt handle and they mail you a new one. The cost for their bolt handle is $53 dollars plus what ever it cost for you to ship your in...the CZ usa store sells the new style bolt for $35 dollars and you will have to pay for shipping to your house.
..but you won't be without a bolt handle to shoot your rifle during that time.

The Calhoon hunker rings are nice I have not bought any yet...but they are running $89 for the rings where Leupold are about $60, Warne and Burris are at =/- $50.

it all depends on how low you want to go. I have bought some Burris rings off Amazon for as cheap as $35 dollars. So shop around to get the best brand and price for you.

I like the Burris rings better than the factory set even though they are the same height.

Anyway good luck on your quest.

Signalman
Old 12-04-2018, 11:09 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm like S-man -- I have no use for a low scope. Too uncomfortable for me to shoot very long. Here is one of my 527 Americans with a 56mm scope mounted on it. Notice how high above the barrel it is. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Old 12-05-2018, 12:26 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
RimfireAU sir the gap on my two CZ rifles (222 and Royal above) between the scope and barrel is less than 5/32" which is .156" and that is not much...it looks wider but that drill bit will not slide between the Objective and the barrel and that is close enough for me. So if I put on a set of rings like Warne or Hunker then I would have .031" which is 1/32" which is super close in my opinion. I normally like about 1/8" if I can get there.

The bottom line is not so much cheek weld it's more of head tilt...I go over to Cedarville to shoot gophers for 8-9 hours a day with about 1/2 hour for lunch for four days straight. I found that when I have a scope really low against the barrel and have to tilt my head down so much after a few hours my neck and shoulders start to hurt...it was not until I switch rifles to my CZ 455 Trainer that I realize that after shooting all day I felt great. When I went back to my other rifles= pain again.

This rifle with the hog back stock is more comfortable for me than my CZ 452 American with the same scope that is closer to the barrel and the stock has less drop...the scope clearance was less than .012" I could run two sheets of copy paper but not three.

there are a lot of professionals that shoot there rifles with the head up they can hold the rifle better for longer. See how high his scope is and how straight his head is.

I can only go so high I tried the CZ rail with the lowest set of Burris Zee rings and it was still to high for me. Savageplinker loves his scopes this high...which is great for him...it was too much for me.

Everybody is different and I like a little height while others like them super low...some like them to be mile high. This is your rifle and you need to decide on what is best for you...I would start off with the factory rings and see how you like it...then adjust.

Good luck on your quest.

Signalman
Old 12-05-2018, 10:18 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
LOL That's funny, look how high the comb of that stock is, that's why his head is so straight.

Scope height is relative to the height of the comb. Most factory stocks, the CZ 527 included, have a relatively low comb which necessitates a lower ring height.

Last edited by B23; 12-05-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:44 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had four different CZ 527's all Varmint models, two 17 Hornets, a 204, and a 17 Rem. I've used a variety of different scope mounting setups.

My first 17 Hornet has a Burris MTAC 4.5-14x42AO and I used a set of Leupold medium rings, my other 17 Hornet has a Vortex Razor 3-15x42 and has Warne medium. The 204 I restocked to a Boyd's laminate and that one I used a Burris Veracity 4-20x50 and used a DIP Inc pic rail with a set of low rings. The pic rails add a bit of height so I went with low rings and even though the bell was still relatively close to the barrel it was a bit high in relation to the comb height and I added an adjustable cheek piece to the stock. The 17 Rem also had a Vortex Razor 3-15x42 I used Warne medium. I sold the 17 Rem this past spring and the 204 I just sold last week so I'm down to the two 17 Hornets.

I prefer to keep the scope, on all of my guns, as low as I reasonably can because I personally think they look better but mostly it's all about how they fit. Every rifle I own, except for one, that has a 50 or larger objective, has an adjustable comb/cheek piece. It's certainly not because I want to spend the extra money for adj combs but because they allow for a more consistent cheek weld.

I'll have to look but I believe I only have pics of the two 17 Hornets and the 204 I recetly sold, not sure if I have any of the 17 Rem but if I do it'll look just like the 17 Hornet with the Vortex Razor. I haven't upgraded my account so I'm not sure it'll allow me to post pics of all three but I'll try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17 Hornet #2.jpg (423.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1056 (2).jpg (425.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-09-2018, 08:59 AM
deathwind II

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post

Might offset the cost a little by ordering one of their 527 striker springs to ship along with the screws (I don’t recall paying that much for either the screws or shipping several years ago, but my memory ain’t what it used to be!) I did that and ended up putting the spring in my Hornet, which suffered from light-strike misfires.
X2 on the bolt handle/ring info.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:31 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an early 527 carbine in 223 and a later 527 carbine in 7.62x39. I'm using Warne medium rings on both. I swapped the older, chunky bolt handle onto the 7.62x39 rifle and run a Leupold FX2 2x20mm scope. That gives me about 1/8" bolt clearance on both rifles. The slim bolt handle went on the 223 which wears a VX2 2-7x33mm.