ISSC SPA .22LR accuracy test - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-30-2018, 04:16 PM
rustysdream

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Posts: 
155
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
ISSC SPA .22LR accuracy test ------- Update Dec. 05.



Log in to see fewer ads
I haven't found an ISSC SPA .22LR accuracy test on the Internet, so I took my brand new rifle to the range for a quick test today. Here is my review.
Set up
ISSC SPA .22LR rifle with factory 10 round magazine
6-24x50 AO scope (made in China, no brand name on it)
Caldwell Lead Sled DFT 2 rifle rest



Ammo
Winchester 555, Remington Thunderbolt, Winchester M22, Federal Game-Shok, Sellier & Bellot, American Eagle 38gr, CCI MiniMag, Eley Sport, RWS Club, SK Standard Plus, CCI Standard, Federal Champion, American Eagle 40gr, Winchester Target, Remington Golden Bullet (no box, not on picture)



Distance
50 meters

Weather
0 Celsius, overcast, calm

Testing
The barrel was cleaned with a Bore Snake (run twice) every time before starting to shoot a different ammo.
10 round fired (on different target) for seasoning the barrel and to adjust POI, then 5 rounds fired for each group.

Quick review of the rifle
Arrived in a hard case that's large enough to hold a scoped rifle. Overall very good first impression of fit and finish. The rifle is comfortable to hold and the action functions well.
The magazine needs a firm push until it clicks in the magazine well.
The trigger is kind of unique. I think both the first stage spring and the trigger pull should be lighter but the trigger brakes clean and it's perfectly fine for hunting, plinking or even some target shooting.

Test result

Nothing spectacular, but surprisingly good groups with Winchester M22, Federal Game-Shok (one flyer) and Remington Golden Bullet (one flyer) bulk ammo.
Disappointing groups with RWS Club, SK Standard and AE 40gr.
Eley Sport seems to give consistent result.



I fired a few extra groups back to back without cleaning the barrel with the following ammo:
Eley Sport, SK standard (way better group this time!), Federal Game-Shok, Winchester M22, CCI Standard (still not happy) and RWS Club (again, much better group).



This is not a complete test but I had to wrap it up after being at the range for over 3 hours. However, my feeling is that the rifle either needs no cleaning between changing ammo or it needs more rounds (20-25) to season the barrel to improve group sizes.
I'm looking forward to hear your comments and suggestions.

Last edited by rustysdream; 12-05-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-30-2018, 05:16 PM
jkv45 is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2018
Location: 
WI
Posts: 
114
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting test - thanks!

I'm surprised that the CCI Standard didn't do better. I've seen other tests where it did very well overall, especially from a non-target grade barrel.

Have you ever run Aguila ammo through it? It's cheap around here, and some guns do like it.

It looks like your groups will continue to get better with more rounds.

I'm not a rifle competitor, but have read that many of the top shooter will only clean the bore when they start to see the accuracy taper-off.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-30-2018, 06:23 PM
rustysdream

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Posts: 
155
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Interesting test - thanks!

I'm surprised that the CCI Standard didn't do better. I've seen other tests where it did very well overall, especially from a non-target grade barrel.

Have you ever run Aguila ammo through it? It's cheap around here, and some guns do like it.

It looks like your groups will continue to get better with more rounds.

I'm not a rifle competitor, but have read that many of the top shooter will only clean the bore when they start to see the accuracy taper-off.
Thank you for your comment.
I agree. CCI Standard should have done better. It shoots very well with my Anschutz 1712. I will give it another go next time.
This was my first time ever shooting this rifle (just arrived yesterday), so I haven't finished testing it but I should find some Aguila if I dig deep enough in my ammo cabinet.
I will not clean the barrel next time. I don't think it's necessary and of course, the process slows me down. However, I wanted to shoot all ammo the same way, with a clean barrel.

Last edited by rustysdream; 11-30-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 12-05-2018, 09:26 PM
rustysdream

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Posts: 
155
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I took another trip to the range today. Here's the result.

ISSC SPA .22 LR
Caldwell Lead Sled DFT 2



Weather
2 Celsius, partly sunny, mainly calm with some wind gusts

Ammo
Winchester Target (Dynapoint GT, black box), Winchester 555, Winchester M22, Winchester Dynapoint (white box), Remington Thunderbolt, RWS Club, American Eagle 40 gr, Federal Game-Shok, Eley Sport, CCI Standard, Sellier & Bellot, Federal Champion



Scope
Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 AO



Target



The big surprise was Winchester Dynapoint (white box). It produced the best group today (0.594"), even better than Eley Sport (0.780").
Measurements are center to center.
The rifle did not like American Eagle 40 gr and Winchester 555.
Note: the shot on the lower right corner was supposed to land on the other target below during sighting in.

Last edited by rustysdream; 12-05-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:41 AM
jkv45 is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2018
Location: 
WI
Posts: 
114
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you know what rings you are using?

I just bought a Vortex 6-18 44mm AO scope for my Savage Mark II and the standard rings are just a tiny bit too low to work.

What you have looks like it would be about right.

That gun really does like the Dynapoints - impressive.

Thanks.

Last edited by jkv45; 12-06-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-06-2018, 06:08 PM
redmike is online now

Join Date: 
Nov 2002
Posts: 
283
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Perhaps the temperature, 0-2 degrees Celsius, is a factor in the accuracy.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2018, 06:30 PM
rustysdream

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Posts: 
155
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Do you know what rings you are using?

I just bought a Vortex 6-18 44mm AO scope for my Savage Mark II and the standard rings are just a tiny bit too low to work.

What you have looks like it would be about right.

That gun really does like the Dynapoints - impressive.

Thanks.
Those are some cheap rings from China that you can buy on eBay for about US$5.00. I have at least a dozen of them in different configurations.
I've found that even the cheap rings work just fine on a .22LR. I really don't want to spend too much money on a gun that I plan to carry on my ATV for grouse hunting.
Yes, Dynapoint was a real surprise but I will shoot more of that ammo to see whether o not it performs consistently.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-2018, 06:35 PM
rustysdream

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Posts: 
155
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike View Post
Perhaps the temperature, 0-2 degrees Celsius, is a factor in the accuracy.
Honestly, I did not expect benchrest accuracy from this rifle, so I'm certainly pleased with the results so far. Yes, it's a bit cold for target shooting but again, I want to use this ISSC for hunting, so testing it in low temperatures is very similar to the conditions in the bush here up North.
My goal is to find an ammo that is both accurate and consistent for head shots on small game. At least, I can eliminate some rounds that this rifle doesn't like (ex. AE 40 gr, Federal Game-Shok).

Last edited by rustysdream; 12-06-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2018, 08:42 AM
jkv45 is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2018
Location: 
WI
Posts: 
114
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysdream View Post
Honestly, I did not expect benchrest accuracy from this rifle, so I'm certainly pleased with the results so far. Yes, it's a bit cold for target shooting but again, I want to use this ISSC for hunting, so testing it in low temperatures is very similar to the conditions in the bush here up North.
My goal is to find an ammo that is both accurate and consistent for head shots on small game. At least, I can eliminate some rounds that this rifle doesn't like (ex. AE 40 gr, Federal Game-Shok).
I think you found it with the Dynapoints.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:15 AM
rustysdream

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Posts: 
155
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I think you found it with the Dynapoints.
Yes, Dynapoint white box seems to work fine but it's weird that it performs better than standard velocity premium ammo. I wonder if the reason is twist rate.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Tom_in_MO's Avatar
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Apr 2016
Location: 
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 
1,612
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysdream View Post
Yes, Dynapoint white box seems to work fine but it's weird that it performs better than standard velocity premium ammo. I wonder if the reason is twist rate.
I don't see any SV premium ammo that you have tested. It's all what I would consider low to medium quality. Try some actual good stuff, maybe Biathlon types such as this SK Biathlon, since you will be shooting at low temps.

I didn't see where you shot a bunch of break-in rounds before shooting for accuracy testing, so that probably skewed the results. IE, the first hundred or more rounds were handicapped by being sent through a non-broken in barrel, and couldn't show their full potential.

Glad the Dynapoint seems to be working out for you. I would recommend trying Fiocchi HPs, in both SV and HV. I have found they are very good, esp. for the $5 for 50 price I pay at my LGS.

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 12-07-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-07-2018, 11:13 AM
jkv45 is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2018
Location: 
WI
Posts: 
114
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_in_MO View Post
I don't see any SV premium ammo that you have tested. It's all what I would consider low to medium quality. Try some actual good stuff, maybe Biathlon types such as this

I didn't see where you shot a bunch of break-in rounds before shooting for accuracy testing, so that probably skewed the results. IE, the first hundred or more rounds were handicapped by being sent through a non-broken in barrel, and couldn't show their full potential.

Glad the Dynapoint seems to be working out for you. I would recommend trying Fiocchi HPs, in both SV and HV. I have found they are very good, esp. for the $5 for 50 price I pay at my LGS.
The Eley and RWS are close to "premium", but for what he wants and expects from the rifle I don't think he needs Tenex even if it produced the best groups.

Accuracy testing can get pretty intense, and it does look like everything is getting better after more rounds through the barrel, but I think his testing shows what the gun doesn't like as much as what it likes.

For what it is, and what he wants to do with it, I think his testing has answered a lot of questions.

I haven't tried Fiocchi in .22, but I've shot a bunch of it in .45 FMJ - and it's pretty good IMO. I'd buy some Fiocchi .22 to try if I found it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-07-2018, 12:59 PM
Tom_in_MO's Avatar
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Apr 2016
Location: 
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 
1,612
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
The Eley and RWS are close to "premium", but for what he wants and expects from the rifle I don't think he needs Tenex even if it produced the best groups.

Accuracy testing can get pretty intense, and it does look like everything is getting better after more rounds through the barrel, but I think his testing shows what the gun doesn't like as much as what it likes.

For what it is, and what he wants to do with it, I think his testing has answered a lot of questions.

I haven't tried Fiocchi in .22, but I've shot a bunch of it in .45 FMJ - and it's pretty good IMO. I'd buy some Fiocchi .22 to try if I found it.
Well, I'm not even talking about Tenex or even Match; but Edge, Contact and Force are a definite step above something like Eley Sport and RWS Club.

I like buying inexpensive guns, and tinkering with them to see what I can get 'em to do at the range; so I get that he wants to see what he can do with his guns and inexpensive ammo. That being said, IMO he really should have run at least 100 rounds through the barrel before ammo testing began, to have more confidence in valid results. I would suggest he start over, eliminating what was obviously terrible and substituting in some actual good ammo. However, he may decide that is all moot, since he had good results with the Dynapoint and just goes with that.

You can get Fiocchi and lots of other nice 22 ammo at Graf & Sons, at the link I provided above. Very quick service and one low price for shipping, no matter the order size.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-07-2018, 01:27 PM
rustysdream

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Posts: 
155
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_in_MO View Post
Well, I'm not even talking about Tenex or even Match; but Edge, Contact and Force are a definite step above something like Eley Sport and RWS Club.

I like buying inexpensive guns, and tinkering with them to see what I can get 'em to do at the range; so I get that he wants to see what he can do with his guns and inexpensive ammo. That being said, IMO he really should have run at least 100 rounds through the barrel before ammo testing began, to have more confidence in valid results. I would suggest he start over, eliminating what was obviously terrible and substituting in some actual good ammo. However, he may decide that is all moot, since he had good results with the Dynapoint and just goes with that.

You can get Fiocchi and lots of other nice 22 ammo at Graf & Sons, at the link I provided above. Very quick service and one low price for shipping, no matter the order size.
Yes, I will continue testing the rifle. Now the barrel has approx. 600 rounds through it and I did not clean it since the first trip to the range.
I do have a few more ammo to test but I will also shoot Dynapoint to see if I can duplicate that group.
There is no point posting the sight in targets because I was adjusting the scope every time I changed ammo. The POI was off up to 4"-5" in some cases, so we are not talking about groups. I was sighting in over and over again because I wanted to be relatively close to the center of the target when I was shooting for groups.
Unfortunately, Fiocchi is not available in my area.

Last edited by rustysdream; 12-08-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-07-2018, 01:31 PM
rustysdream

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Posts: 
155
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
The Eley and RWS are close to "premium", but for what he wants and expects from the rifle I don't think he needs Tenex even if it produced the best groups.

Accuracy testing can get pretty intense, and it does look like everything is getting better after more rounds through the barrel, but I think his testing shows what the gun doesn't like as much as what it likes.

For what it is, and what he wants to do with it, I think his testing has answered a lot of questions.

I haven't tried Fiocchi in .22, but I've shot a bunch of it in .45 FMJ - and it's pretty good IMO. I'd buy some Fiocchi .22 to try if I found it.
I agree. I have to draw a line when it comes to the price of ammo. This is not a precision target rifle and will not be used as such.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x