Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:04 PM
Redheeler
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What is it about .22 Magnums

I was at my LGS today and got off talking about .22 magnums which he declared that no one has or will build a reliable .22 magnum semi auto rifle or pistol. I asked him why and he replied they were inherently a bad cartridge. ***???
Why should it be any different than any other cartridge?
I have built a 10/22 knockoff and while it took a little time to get it “tuned” right, mainly the correct recoil spring, it seems to run well. True, I haven’t run a boatload of ammo through it, I haven’t had a problem with what I have.

Why do .22 magnums get such a bad rap. Are all commercially produced .22 mag semi autos crap?

Can/ will someone please clarify things?
Old 11-30-2018, 04:36 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
They are not crap, but many such opinions are . The best semiautomatic.22 WMR, in my view, is/was the H&K 300. Great trigger, great accuracy, and great reliability. The VQ is equally good, by reputation, anyway; I've never owned one. The Brno 611 is a little jewel that was beautifully made and functioned very well, if not as accurate as the others. The Ruger 10/22M bolt was made with less-than-stellar materials and engineering, and I think that’s probably where much of the bad rap comes from. Add to that the iffy functionality of the semi-automatic .17s HMRs, especially the ones built on the 10/22M rifles, and the .22 WMR looks like a saint. In fact, I would rank overall performance of the .22 magnums semiautomatics above any semi-auto .17s, HMR, HM2, or WSM, and nobody calls them crap cartridges, at least no one I respect

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 11-30-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:58 AM
Redheeler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks TBR. I,personally, have not had a problem with them and really rather like them the more I shoot them. The guy at the LGS must have had some really bad experiences with them somewhere along the line. Really made me question my own experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 06:08 AM
Guy
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
AMT Magnum Hunter

The only rifle I regret not keeping. It functioned perfectly and was very accurate with RWS ammo!
Old 12-04-2018, 09:12 AM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have to disagree with the 22 mag being bad. I love my Kel-Tec PMR30. Very reliable handgun for a semi auto pistol. If there is a problem it is not with the pistol but rather the magazine, which becomes very difficult to load to 30 rounds, in which at this point if you are not careful you could put a dent on the cartridge. I have eliminated this problem by loading only 25 in the magazine which has increased reliability to 100% when it comes to feeding. One in the chamber and 25 in the magazine is still quite a tremendous amount of firepower going down range.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:49 PM
smokey9701

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
I have to disagree with the 22 mag being bad. I love my Kel-Tec PMR30. Very reliable handgun for a semi auto pistol. If there is a problem it is not with the pistol but rather the magazine, which becomes very difficult to load to 30 rounds, in which at this point if you are not careful you could put a dent on the cartridge. I have eliminated this problem by loading only 25 in the magazine which has increased reliability to 100% when it comes to feeding. One in the chamber and 25 in the magazine is still quite a tremendous amount of firepower going down range.
I too have a PMR30 and like you do not try to load 30 in it. I my view the .22 WMR is fine but it's a long thin cartridge and just doesn't lend it's self to feeding perfectly in a semi-auto. My PRM30 is okay but I wouldn't do it again. There are better options for a semi-auto gun. I also shoot .22 WMR in a bolt action CZ rifle and it works just fine in that setup.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:18 PM
ms6852

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey9701 View Post
I too have a PMR30 and like you do not try to load 30 in it. I my view the .22 WMR is fine but it's a long thin cartridge and just doesn't lend it's self to feeding perfectly in a semi-auto. My PRM30 is okay but I wouldn't do it again. There are better options for a semi-auto gun. I also shoot .22 WMR in a bolt action CZ rifle and it works just fine in that setup.
I agree that the cartridge being long makes it weak and as far as it being used in a semi-auto to me thus far the Kel-Tec checks the most boxes. Until the manufactures create a stronger case for the 22 magnum this will continue to be an issue. I am happy to say that when I do finally begin to get a failure to feed the cause is just a dirty gun and in mine it normally happens at around 300 rounds. I think this is pretty good. Funny you mentioned buy my only other 22 Magnum is also in a bolt cz full stock rifle.

I thought about buying the Excel MP-22 Accelerator 22 WMR 8.5" but just did not fit in my hand it felt like the Smith and Wesson Victory. I would not mind a 10 round revolver in 22 magnum, something similar to the 617 , but would like it in a 3" barrel to conceal carry once in a while.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:18 PM
smokey9701

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been thinking about a Ruger revolver in .22 WMR. No feed issues with one of those.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:05 PM
linux_author
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i like .22wmr... have three revolvers for it: NAA Sidewinder, NAA Ranger II Breaktop, and CA Pathfinder snubby (which is surprisingly accurate out to 15ft)

have never seen a .22wmr rifle in the flesh

can't use an LCR/x as the trigger guard would abrade my middle digit

i do try to acquire the ammo if found on sale... my favorite is CCI TNT (for reliability; have tried Fiocchi, Gold Dots, Hornady, etc.)

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
Old 12-05-2018, 08:54 AM
Hunterhank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
22 mags have been my favorite cartridge for fifty years, since the first single six came my way. I now have two 10/22 mags that do not malfunction, the single six, a never fired 648, and some 9422 m’s. I never met one I didn’t like. Most are accurate enough for my purposes.
Like any other gun you have to find what bullet they like.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:52 AM
rjferber

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I don't have any of the older model 22 WMR rifles and I know there were some great ones made, however, I like the ones I currently have. I do some occasional target shooting with them, but their original purpose was small game hunting. The CZ 455 FS & 455 Varmint are very solid quality rifles with no issues and my CZ 512 American & Magnum Research MLR22WMBW are both solid performers as well.

It's always interesting listening to some of the conversations at the gun counter of the LGS's. Talk about false news . . . I have no experience with the AMT product line, but I know for sure that both of my semiautomatic 22 WMR's have never failed me in any way.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:12 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Being long in relation to its width, and rimmed, .22 Mag is more difficult to feed in a semi. Rifles do better with it than pistols, since there is more room to give all the action parts the best postioning for good feed and ejection. .22LR is the same way.

.25ACP was designed to be a centerfire substitute for .22 in handguns. Short, fat, and rimless.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:20 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WMR

I've got two 10/22Ms that run like a top. One is actually a switch-barrel gun that also shoots very well in .17 HMR. And, my Ruger American Rimfire WMR is serious bang for the buck.

You hear lots of stuff in gun shops that you're better off ignoring. Much of it from employees.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Imaposer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What is it about .22 Magnums?...

I read that thread title, and I'll have to admit, it made me wonder...

Off topic of the thread I suppose, but the original question of the title remains unanswered for me...

Having only ever owned one .22 Mag in my life, a NAA mine revolver with interchangeable cylinders, and only having fired a handful of magnums in it, I've always wondered, what exactly is the point?

Seeing as how it has a good following, it obviously has it's applications even if I've never found the need to own one. So, I thought it might be interesting to hear what purposes you guys use your .22 magnums for? This goes doubly for those that use .22 Magnum handguns.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:26 PM
jjj0311

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking for a Savage Arms Model 30GM Stevens Favorite 22 mag. Semper Fi