Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:04 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Some thoughts here from someone who much enjoys wringing accuracy from factory guns....

The OP doesn't give an upper limit on what he is willing to spend, so I am doing a bit of guessing here and making some suggestions:

For a budget gun:

I have had good luck with the CZ 452, others have had good luck with other brands. There are no guarantees though, especially with budget guns. You are going to have to get a bit lucky to find a gun in this category that will consistently produce .2" - .3" five shot groups at fifty yards....and that with really good ammo.

If you are willing to step up a bit more the Anschtuz 64 action guns can be had in good used condition. These on the average will offer a bit more accuracy.

If you are willing to step up a bit more, you can find guns like the Anschutz 54 match, Remington 40X, Winchester 52, etc. in the $800 - $1200 range that will give you still more accuracy potential. I have three Winchester 52 heavies that, in factory condition, can easily produce groups in the .1's and .2's at fifty yards with premium ammo.

So it's a matter of how much you are willing to spend. You can spend even more and go the custom gun route. You generally get what you pay for.....more or less.

Keep this in mind, if you buy a good factory gun at a good price, you are not throwing money down a stumphole......they retain their value.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:06 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest View Post
If you were to buy an action and barrel and all parts from one or more places, and either build up yourself or have a top gunsmith do it, what would make the absolute best (most accurate) .22 long rifle bench rest rifle? Opinions and reasons, please!
This one deserves its own thread. Like any question of this type you are going to get a ton of answers - some helpful and some not. Most of the answers are going to be from people who are stuck on one brand and have never come close to shooting a "best" grade benchrest rifle. And most of the guys with the experience aren't going to give away their secrets for the most part- though contrary to most sites, this site has many very helpful people who are willing to help.

If you're serious about building a "best" grade benchrest rifle, study the results pages on the last few years of competitions. Usually, these pages show the scores, shooters, and most importantly for your question, the rifles/actions used. Keep in mind, the most important part of being competitive in these disciplines is the shooter. A rifle just gets you in the door.....

Bob
Old 07-12-2019, 07:12 PM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It cracks me up that we're discussing this while the original poster was out of the thread about 10 years ago. At least we find it interesting.
I've never seen a rimfire that could compete at anything other than a local "club" match that wasn't $2000 & up without mounts, optics & rests.
I've shot some screamers with some of the rifles we've mentioned, (Win 52, Ans 54 Rem 37 & 40X etc), but nothing like the Cooper BR barreled action in a McMillan Hunters BR stock I played with. Not even in the same league. Not even close. That thing was over $2500 with optics almost 15 years ago, and that was a mid priced scope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 07:18 PM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also noticed that at my local range, a good bench rest shooter (I'd seen his name in magazines) could outshoot me, every time, even when he let me use his gear. Even in virtually zero wind he was slightly better. He just didn't get much in the way of "flyers".
Even with his gear, I think he'd beat me with a lesser rifle, especially in the wind.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:23 PM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
jps2486 said "Time and again, I've seen and read these posts, not only about rimfires, but airguns too. Folks just starting out in precision shooting will buy a cheap rifle hoping that they will win the lottery and get one that shoots lights out. NEVER HAPPENS".
Pretty much covers it for me, at least it seems to be what I've experienced.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:44 AM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup, as I said, in this world you generally get what you pay for with an occasional exception here and there.....and a smart person doesn't bank on the gun they buy being that exception. And looking for an accurate factory gun and looking for an accurate custom gun are two different things and should include two different sets of expectations and standards.....but each can be a worthwhile pursuit in it's own right. This all reminds me of the records for largest fish. Catching a record bream is still setting a record and something to be proud of for a bream fishing enthusiast....though the tuna and marlin guys may poke fun at it and talk about how no one fishing for bream will ever break the biggest fish record. So it is up to each individual to set the standards they are after.

That said some of the upper end factory guns can shoot pretty darn well...I'm averaging a shade over 249 on the IR 50 target in my club matches this year shooting a pair of factory Winchester 52s. And I do agree about the shooter making a difference.....just like in golf, archery, dominoes, and so on.