Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:39 PM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Triggershoe:

The adjustment on the Kidd single stage drop in is from 1.5 lbs to 5 lbs, however you can likely get it under 1.5.

The allen screw is a piece of cake to adjust, and pretty much mistake proofed.

You can adjust it as light as it will go, until you lose your RESET.

I have 3 of these, 2 are at 3.1 lbs and one is just over 1lb.

They are worth every penny in my opinion.

R/
Chris
Old 10-26-2018, 07:51 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by navybowhunter View Post
Triggershoe:

The adjustment on the Kidd single stage drop in is from 1.5 lbs to 5 lbs, however you can likely get it under 1.5.

The allen screw is a piece of cake to adjust, and pretty much mistake proofed.

You can adjust it as light as it will go, until you lose your RESET.

I have 3 of these, 2 are at 3.1 lbs and one is just over 1lb.

They are worth every penny in my opinion.

R/
Chris
Thanks for that info. That a pretty wide range of adjustment with a single spring. I take it the two KIDD triggers you have set at 3.1 lbs are used for CMP Rimfire Sporter matches?
Old 10-26-2018, 08:03 AM
navybowhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Correct, the two set at 3.1 are for CMP Rimfire Sporter, one is my daughters rifle and the other mine. Weight is an issue with that event, so they both have Volquartsen THM lightweight bull barrels as well.

The one set at just over a pound has a KIDD 18" match barrel. I probably need to put a bit more weight back on that trigger, reset gets very sloppy/sticky at the under 1.5lb range. But, really impressed with the KIDD single stage.

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have got a KIDD 2 stage for the heavy barrel rifle.

R/
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 08:53 AM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have a Kidd 2 stage and a Kidd single stage trigger assembly. Both are very nice products.
I see so many posts about sub 1 pound triggers and rarely do I see questions about triggers in the 3+ range. I don’t do benchrest shooting. Most of my shooting is designed for field work. I wouldn’t consider a trigger weight under 3 pounds for field work.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:52 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The CMP rimfire sporter rule for the 3+ lb trigger and other similar rules are intended to allow competitors with a fairly inexpensive, stock 22 lr rifle to compete on a more or less even playing field with others.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:59 PM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
The CMP rimfire sporter rule for the 3+ lb trigger and other similar rules are intended to allow competitors with a fairly inexpensive, stock 22 lr rifle to compete on a more or less even playing field with others.
If only it worked that way in reality. Most of the winning rifles I've seen have either been CZs or 10/22s hot-rodded to very high levels.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Every gun game I have ever been involved in ends up being an equipment race. Someone is always maxxing out/pushing the envelope/or even out and out going beyond.
Does make for some interesting rigs, though.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:38 PM
navybowhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Every gun game I have ever been involved in ends up being an equipment race. Someone is always maxxing out/pushing the envelope/or even out and out going beyond.
Does make for some interesting rigs, though.
Sporter's intent is to allow anyone with minimal equipment get into the game.

Some of the rules are designed to keep it inexpensive and yet still be competitive.

You can still be competitive with a mid priced 10/22 with or without a scope.

The big "not permitted" things have more to do with equipment. Like the shooting coat and also heavy bull barrels. Near to impossible to make weight with a heavy bull barrel.

A shooting coat and shooting glove (also not allowed....but a work glove is) adds at least 3/4 MOA to my scores. I have tested that, my hold improves significantly with a coat.

Yes....it does make for some interesting rigs. It is the same with High Power Rifle....the rules refer to that sport as "service rifle", but they barely resemble a service rifle. For example, my "service rifle" weight 17.5 pounds!

We do what we can to squeeze every bit of accuracy we can out of the shooter/rifle system while still staying within the rules.

Same applies to Rimfire Sporter....as long as we are competing within the rules....pretty much anything goes. Again, anything to be competitive!

Once a discipline is invented like "CMP Rimfire Sporter", the "Competitive types" (like me) will do everything we can within the ruleset to give ourselves the best possible chance at competing well.

The ONLY way to make the sport an even equipment playing field....would be if CMP held the match like they do with the Small Arms Firing School introductory Excellence In Competition big matches. In those matches, they (the CMP) issue rifles and ammo!

Until CMP decides to issue rimfire rifles and ammo to competitors (never see that happening) competitors will do what they can within the rules.

Like NASCAR....LOL

R/
Chris
Old 12-02-2018, 12:17 PM
TrevorB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did Brimstone remove the 3+ pound option?

I was set to order a new standard trigger and a Tier 2 job, but the pull down menu for trigger weight only contains Sweet Spot, 2lbs, and 2.5 lbs. No option for 3+ lbs.

I could have swore that when I looked at it last week, it had an option for 3+ lbs.

Did they change their website? How to you order a CMP legal trigger job?

Thanks

Trevor
Old 12-08-2018, 06:41 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanBob View Post
Do not play with springs. You will lose reliability.

The best solution is a Brimstone Tier 2 job, specifying you want the 3+lb package. You will get a perfectl, nearly creep-free feel with a perfectly smooth, positive reset thanks to the torsion spring return.

The best DIY way to take weight off the trigger pull is to shorten and re-angle the sear hook on the hammer while polishing all parts that touch each other. This must be done with great care, because if you go too far you'll have to toss the hammer away and start over. It's a great project and the cost is minimal - OEM hammers are cheap and plentiful on fleabay.
Agree totally with both options.

Even just polishing of all internal parts where they touch makes a noticeable improvement. But also I would recommend a tiny amount of stoning on the hammer, maybe 10 light passes with a diamond file; then polish working up to 1500 grit. Test with a gauge, and take a bit more off to get it down to maybe 3.5#, and re-polish. Don't change the reset spring, as a pull of around 3.5 - 4# is too much drag for a lighter reset spring to reliably overcome. But do take the time to polish the whole plunger, its hole, and the rear of the trigger where the plunger contacts it. Gives you just a little more smoothness.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:29 AM
Racer X

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
There is the over 3# option, but I suspect you should call and talk it over. It iosn't in the pull down menus, but is in the description for the tier 2 or 3.

Just call, and probably include written instructions with the trigger group as well.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:59 AM
TrevorB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you Racer X. I actually ordered a trigger pack from them, and then used the email they give you in the order confirmation email to specify CMP legal. They responded quite quickly.

If I were to send a trigger in for work, they recommend including a note with it.

Thanks again.

Trevor
Old 12-29-2018, 08:03 PM
Racer X

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
I met several of them Brimstone guys at Triggercon this summer. Seemed like really great people to work with.