Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:59 PM
Belczek
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
3+ lb 10/22 trigger

It appears the easy choices are all of the sub 3 pound aftermarket triggers or the stock trigger for the Rugers. I'd like to try CMP rimfire sporter, are they any easy 3 1/2 - 4 lb solutions out there?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:08 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I bought a Kidd single stage trigger that is set at 3.5 pounds. It is awesome.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:03 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs up ruger BX trigger

I have 2, both are nice 3 lbs, crisp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 10:04 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brownels has BX triggers for $49.95 free ship M7R. they are running 2.5-3 lbs.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:11 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hard to beat a BX trigger.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:00 PM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To be a legal rifle for rimfire sporter, the trigger must be able to support a 3 lb weight without breaking the hammer. Buying a BX trigger would be a gamble unless you could measure the trigger pull before hand, or someone else had and had guaranteed it to be 3+ pounds.

Although it is pricey, the best bet might be to go with the Kidd single stage trigger which has an adjustable trigger pull weight.

Brimstone Gunsmithing will also do trigger jobs on stock Ruger 10/22 trigger groups to provide for a 3+ lb pull weight, but you must specify this when you send your trigger group in:

http://brimstonegunsmithing.com/tier...-trigger-work/
Old 10-15-2018, 04:27 PM
Belczek
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies. I think I will start with a factory trigger group and polish and shim what I can before playing with springs. I am pretty sure there is plenty to improve while keeping the weight up.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:10 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My drop in JWH hammer 'kit' took mine to 3.5# on a Wheeler gauge. I only used the hammer with the circa 1999 springs to see what that did. So far that is where I have left it.
I bought it with a bolt and charging handle 'set' on sale and am happy with it all.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:39 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The aftermarket triggers, to include the BX are all a GAMBLE if considering use for CMP Rimfire Sporter.

Having one modified (a stock trigger) is probably the cheapest option.

The ONLY aftermarket trigger I have found to make weight is the KIDD single stage.

I contacted both KIDD and Volquartsen regarding this, the VQ triggers may or may not make the weight. Same with the KIDD 2 stage. KIDD single is the way to go.

I have 2 sporter rifles, both have the KIDD single stage, they are going for $199 now.

HIGHLY recommend you find someone with an official NRA weight set if you intend to compete in any of the larger sporter events, such as a CMP Eastern/Western/North Eastern games event, or....Nationals at Perry. A digital gage will absolutely be different from the weight set.

If you can hold weight on the official weight set, you are good to go.

Another plus about the KIDD single stage, it is very easy to adjust, so if you fail weight, a quick turn with an allen wrench and you will be in there!

R/
Chris
Old 10-22-2018, 09:52 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belczek View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think I will start with a factory trigger group and polish and shim what I can before playing with springs. I am pretty sure there is plenty to improve while keeping the weight up.

That's what I would have suggested. Smooth is easier than light.

While you have it apart, cover all the surfaces with a Sharpie or similar so you can see where the contact was the next time you disassemble it. Remember that you can loosely assemble parts on the outside of the receiver by sticking the relevant pins in the receiver holes on one side. Makes it easier to see how things line up.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:13 AM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Do not play with springs. You will lose reliability.

The best solution is a Brimstone Tier 2 job, specifying you want the 3+lb package. You will get a perfectl, nearly creep-free feel with a perfectly smooth, positive reset thanks to the torsion spring return.

The best DIY way to take weight off the trigger pull is to shorten and re-angle the sear hook on the hammer while polishing all parts that touch each other. This must be done with great care, because if you go too far you'll have to toss the hammer away and start over. It's a great project and the cost is minimal - OEM hammers are cheap and plentiful on fleabay.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:26 PM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
[QUOTE=navybowhunter;11204657]Another plus about the KIDD single stage, it is very easy to adjust, so if you fail weight, a quick turn with an allen wrench and you will be in there!

navybowhunter--- A quick turn with an allen wrench WHERE? I think you mean a quick spring change (the one under the trigger "plunger"), right?
Old 10-23-2018, 09:17 PM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Triggershoe: The Kidd single-stage trigger is adjustable for pull weight. To change it, you turn a setscrew in the trigger return mechanism at the rear of the housing. It's a unique design. There is no return plunger/spring assembly as in the OEM triggers.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:24 PM
Hacker

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You could get the Kidd drop in kit and get the tuning springs.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Pull...Kit_p_120.html
Old 10-24-2018, 11:13 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanBob View Post
Triggershoe: The Kidd single-stage trigger is adjustable for pull weight. To change it, you turn a setscrew in the trigger return mechanism at the rear of the housing. It's a unique design. There is no return plunger/spring assembly as in the OEM triggers.
Fireman--- I was not aware of that! I was under the impression these still used the "plunger" and different weight springs. So, there is a single specific weight/rate spring that is adjustable via an allen screw to change pull weights? Do you happen to know the range of adjustment possible (i.e, between 1.5 and 5 lb)?