Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:06 PM
tomahawk223

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Adjustable Objective

What ever you decide on make sure it has an adjustable objective for close in .22 shooting

I have a Leupold VX-2 6-18 AO fine duplex and a Weaver T-36 AO both good scopes for .22 and AO a must.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:56 PM
BadgerJack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Two suggestions:
For simplicity, Redfield makes a .22 LR scope with BDC turrets caled 'Battlezone Tac'. I bought the 2~7 power, and on my CZ 452 it is good out to 200 yards, (IF I am steady enough and using a bipod or other secure rest: I ain't as steady as I once was!).

Almost ANY Nikon scope: Check the Nikon 'SPot-On' BDC Turret system:
https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...ton/index.page

Nearly every Nikon scope can use the ballistic turrets, and the best part is you order the turrets customised for YOUR cartridge/bullet weight/velocity.

Simply dial in the distance, and take a dead-on hold, then return to your 'zero' point! I use this on a .308 Winchester and .30-06 Gov't, (makes both good to about 800 yards, on a good day), and I will be putting it on a .300 Win Mag soon.

It is the most accurate system you can get without needing to use a computer, or factor the adjustments in your mind- like Mil DOts, or do math-on-paper before you take your first shot.

Oh, yea, they also have an app for Andriod and iPhone if you want to go that route, which is fine, unless you left it at home, or the battery died.

Just one Old Vets experience and opinion...
Old 10-12-2018, 01:55 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Trying to digest all the information on this thread and I find I would still come back to the same two scopes for this exercise. For close in targets, 4-6 power is sufficient and works for me when I need to find critters peaking out from hiding spots. For longer shots I like as much power as I can carry and I need a Adjustable Objective to handle rough distance estimation and parallax adjustment. What I've found to work best for me, which is close to the OP's needs also, is the Leupold 6.5 x 20 x 40 (or 50 if you shoot a lot in low light) with target turrets and fine crosshair or 1/8 Minute dot. The second scope I've used and like a lot for this purpose is the Bausch & Lomb 4200 Elite 6 x 24 with AO (now Bushnell). Both of these scopes have exceptional glass and rock solid adjustments- though I'm not sure you can get the B&L (now Bushnell) scope with target turrets.

My 65 year old eyes like lots of power and light gathering, but my needs require enough power to see small parts of animals hiding at times. I wouldn't have a big problem with the newer 8x32 Leupolds, but I'm afraid the 8 power would be a problem for up close shooting and quick focus and acquisition.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 02:26 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rima22 View Post
SavagePlinker, I told you, now I'm waiting your "meaningful advice", where are them?
Don't try to shoot "animals" at "200 yards" with a .22.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:08 AM
Rima22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
Don't try to shoot "animals" at "200 yards" with a .22.
That's all?
Old 10-13-2018, 08:52 AM
Rima22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSc View Post
Trying to digest all the information on this thread and I find I would still come back to the same two scopes for this exercise. For close in targets, 4-6 power is sufficient and works for me when I need to find critters peaking out from hiding spots. For longer shots I like as much power as I can carry and I need a Adjustable Objective to handle rough distance estimation and parallax adjustment. What I've found to work best for me, which is close to the OP's needs also, is the Leupold 6.5 x 20 x 40 (or 50 if you shoot a lot in low light) with target turrets and fine crosshair or 1/8 Minute dot. The second scope I've used and like a lot for this purpose is the Bausch & Lomb 4200 Elite 6 x 24 with AO (now Bushnell). Both of these scopes have exceptional glass and rock solid adjustments- though I'm not sure you can get the B&L (now Bushnell) scope with target turrets.

My 65 year old eyes like lots of power and light gathering, but my needs require enough power to see small parts of animals hiding at times. I wouldn't have a big problem with the newer 8x32 Leupolds, but I'm afraid the 8 power would be a problem for up close shooting and quick focus and acquisition.

Bob
Thank you Bob, for your advices.

All the polite informations I received from you, make me thinking...
Probably my new scope will be 6-24x56, With parallax corrector, illiminated balistic reticle and high quality lenses and mechanical features.

I always used the top quality lenses, It could be difficoult to use "fog scopes" but... quality, prices and market change a lot in the last 10-20 years, I have to verify personally with my eyes.

I don't think my budget mentioned on the start will be enough I will see

Last edited by Rima22; 10-13-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:09 AM
Rima22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk223 View Post
What ever you decide on make sure it has an adjustable objective for close in .22 shooting

I have a Leupold VX-2 6-18 AO fine duplex and a Weaver T-36 AO both good scopes for .22 and AO a must.
I will
Old 10-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Rima22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you BadgerJack fot your opinion and advices

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerJack View Post
Nearly every Nikon scope can use the ballistic turrets, and the best part is you order the turrets customised for YOUR cartridge/bullet weight/velocity.
I don't want to use the turrets, just ones when I tune the the scope on the rifle or when I test new ammunitions.
Later I prefer use only the balistic reticle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerJack View Post
Simply dial in the distance, and take a dead-on hold, then return to your 'zero' point! I use this on a .308 Winchester and .30-06 Gov't, (makes both good to about 800 yards, on a good day), and I will be putting it on a .300 Win Mag soon.
I agree with you, I do the same.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:47 AM
Rima22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In summary, thanks to your help, I came to these conclusions:

- 6-24 magnifications;

- objective 56 or 50 mm, not less,

- parallax corrector,

- illuminated ballistic reticle on the first focal plane,

- precise and good quality mechanics,

- high quality lenses.

All this can be found today with max 1000?
Old 10-15-2018, 08:58 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rima22 View Post
In summary, thanks to your help, I came to these conclusions:

- 6-24 magnifications;

- objective 56 or 50 mm, not less,

- parallax corrector,

- illuminated ballistic reticle on the first focal plane,

- precise and good quality mechanics,

- high quality lenses.

All this can be found today with max 1000?
For what it's worth, I think a 50mm or larger objective is overkill. There is a sense that "more is better." But unless you are shooting in low-light conditions, 40mm gathers plenty of light. A larger objective often requires taller rings, which, in turn, affects cheek placement, sometimes requiring a riser. Finally, if I had a choice between superior optics and an illuminated reticle, I'd go with better glass every time. Simpler. Less to go wrong in the field. No need for batteries. Maybe better resale value on something like a Zeiss. Just my opinion, of course, and I am not much of a hunter. At 200 yards though, you are going to have a lot of problems staying in a 5-inch circle with .22LR. 10-inches is more likely. That is a "vitals" shot on a much larger animal than a .22 LR round can take humanely. Once again, just my opinion.

Also at 200 yards, you are going to need around 60 inches (approx. 1.75 meters or 29 MOA) of adjustment to get your crosshairs on target. This is because .22LR drops like a rock after the first 100 yards/meters. That is a lot. Many scopes won't handle it.

Make sure you check out the amount of adjustment you need on either side of zero, before you plunk down that kilo-euro.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:17 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
For what it's worth, I think a 50mm or larger objective is overkill. There is a sense that "more is better." But unless you are shooting in low-light conditions, 40mm gathers plenty of light. A larger objective often requires taller rings, which, in turn, affects cheek placement, sometimes requiring a riser. Finally, if I had a choice between superior optics and an illuminated reticle, I'd go with better glass every time. Simpler. Less to go wrong in the field. No need for batteries. Maybe better resale value on something like a Zeiss. Just my opinion, of course, and I am not much of a hunter. At 200 yards though, you are going to have a lot of problems staying in a 5-inch circle with .22LR. 10-inches is more likely. That is a "vitals" shot on a much larger animal than a .22 LR round can take humanely. Once again, just my opinion.

Also at 200 yards, you are going to need around 60 inches (approx. 1.75 meters or 29 MOA) of adjustment to get your crosshairs on target. This is because .22LR drops like a rock after the first 100 yards/meters. That is a lot. Many scopes won't handle it.

Make sure you check out the amount of adjustment you need on either side of zero, before you plunk down that kilo-euro.
[Edit, after reviewing the thread, I see you know what you like -- disregard the above,which reflects my needs not yours. But do give some thought to the amount of adjustment you will need on the scope for the distances you shoot, and do give some thought to .22 LR bullet performance as well. If I were hunting 10 kilo game at 200 yards, I would probably want at least a .222 Remington, just for shot placement.
I have no trouble keeping a .222 Remington inside 2 inches at 200 yards/meters. The following group is just over an inch.]

22 LR? That's another matter. Here's a 10-inch plate at 200 yards. Note the steep angle of the bullet "splats":

Old 10-15-2018, 01:56 PM
HGWT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know that it may not be in your price range but I love the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire. I have one on my American 22WMR; my Savage 22 WMR; and my 15-22. It's always the first accessory I buy. I have problems with eyes (old age) and this works well. I have severy different styles of reticles. I have sot them out to 296 yards.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:23 PM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
[Edit, after reviewing the thread, I see you know what you like -- disregard the above,which reflects my needs not yours. But do give some thought to the amount of adjustment you will need on the scope for the distances you shoot, and do give some thought to .22 LR bullet performance as well. If I were hunting 10 kilo game at 200 yards, I would probably want at least a .222 Remington, just for shot placement.
I have no trouble keeping a .222 Remington inside 2 inches at 200 yards/meters. The following group is just over an inch.]

22 LR? That's another matter. Here's a 10-inch plate at 200 yards. Note the steep angle of the bullet "splats":

Might be the plate angle how it hangs, I don't get a splatter like that on my 197 yard plates, pretty much just a round hit mark. This is 10 shots at 195 yards. personally I'm a fan of the fixed power SWFA scopes, lots of travel, excellent mechanics and built tough. Switching over to 20X MOA-Quad on them all now but having more fun shooting at those same distances with peep sights. A good range finder, calm conditions and tested dope for your scope I'll head shoot groundhogs at 200. Not for everyone though, I do hate to wound an animal. No different than the hunter that tries to hit them at 500 and beyond with a centerfire.

Topstrap

Last edited by Topstrap44; 10-15-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:48 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
That is some awesome shooting Top. And I hear you about those SWFA scopes. They look perfect for long range.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2018, 03:19 PM
Rima22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
That is some awesome shooting Top. And I hear you about those SWFA scopes. They look perfect for long range.
I hope to do right choices.
Thanks to your help too.