A rifle scope for a 22lr - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-07-2018, 08:34 PM
gcrank1's Avatar
gcrank1

Join Date: 
Apr 2018
Location: 
south central WI, USA
Posts: 
3,400
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)


Log in to see fewer ads
I must have an Adjustable Objective to avoid the parallax error of many fixed objective scopes, often factory set for 100 or even 150yds. I do shoot those distances, and farther with 22s but most is closer than 100yds. I have enough trouble without having to deal with needless parallax issues.
I want Target Turrets with 1/8th moa finger adjustments.
I dont shoot in early morning or late day light so the Huge objectives are of no use for me, and they set the scope up too high for a good cheek rest. My 40mm objectives are just fine.
My current 3-12x is good at 50yds, the 4-16X is better and the 20x better yet, and for even farther. The variables can be turned down though after trying ‘em out I cranked ‘em back up. They work fine down there, I like the magnification (aim small/miss small).
I know what reticle I like for what I do, probably pretty meaningless to you; but I have the crosshair c/w mil-dots on one now and think I can have the best of worlds by having such.
I have been pleasantly surprised by the optical quality of newish scope offerings, even at the lower end of the pricing structure. So much that many of my old favorite El Paso Weavers are now going on the gun show table. Its a new world for me to venture into but hits are always better than misses.

Last edited by gcrank1; 10-07-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-07-2018, 08:38 PM
SavagePlinker

Join Date: 
Sep 2015
Posts: 
2,147
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For hunting, weight is a concern. But for bench-play, I want the most powerful scope, with the clearest glass, I can afford. I shoot two .22's mainly for that, and both wear 8-32x scopes.

If I can't see the holes I'm wasting my time and ammo.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-08-2018, 04:23 AM
Rima22

Join Date: 
Feb 2017
Posts: 
117
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
I must have an Adjustable Objective to avoid the parallax error of many fixed objective scopes, often factory set for 100 or even 150yds. I do shoot those distances, and farther with 22s but most is closer than 100yds. I have enough trouble without having to deal with needless parallax issues.
I never had a rifle scope with parallax corrector and I never felt the need to have it.
Does it help for shots at 30-100 yards?
I can see the most of them don't have this feature... then I suppose it'is not essential. Am I righ or wrong?
In any case, thank you fot your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
I dont shoot in early morning or late day light so the Huge objectives are of no use for me, and they set the scope up too high for a good cheek rest. My 40mm objectives are just fine.
I shot in early morning or late day, I love 56 mm objective and very bright lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
My current 3-12x is good at 50yds, the 4-16X is better and the 20x better yet, and for even farther. The variables can be turned down though after trying ‘em out I cranked ‘em back up. They work fine down there, I like the magnification (aim small/miss small).
Only ones in my live I tried to use a 6.5-18x42 I hated it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
I know what reticle I like for what I do, probably pretty meaningless to you; but I have the crosshair c/w mil-dots on one now and think I can have the best of worlds by having such.
Well... I'm thinking about Mil-dot just because I believe is one of the best to use without turn continuously the turrets.
In the meantime I'm thinking how much big could be the dots at 100 or 200 yards? May be they can cover completely a small targer.

Do you think these new new kind of Mil-dots reticle will avoid this problem?




Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
I have been pleasantly surprised by the optical quality of newish scope offerings, even at the lower end of the pricing structure. So much that many of my old favorite El Paso Weavers are now going on the gun show table. Its a new world for me to venture into but hits are always better than misses.
I know it but not well enough.
Long time ago it was more easy, good quality scopes like Zeiss, Swarovsky, Smith and Bender etc. costs four times more then medium quality.
In the last 20 years a lot of things change, top brands like Zeiss has got three different lines, entry level, medium and top.
Today many new brands offer good quality and services for half price, or less, of the famous brands.

It will be not an easy choice for me, this is because I opened this thread.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Last edited by Rima22; 10-08-2018 at 04:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #34  
Old 10-08-2018, 04:40 AM
Rima22

Join Date: 
Feb 2017
Posts: 
117
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
For hunting, weight is a concern. But for bench-play, I want the most powerful scope, with the clearest glass, I can afford. I shoot two .22's mainly for that, and both wear 8-32x scopes.

If I can't see the holes I'm wasting my time and ammo.
Thank you for your opinion.
I don't play the bench-rest game, just some time when I have to tune my rifles/scopes

Last edited by Rima22; 10-08-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-08-2018, 05:47 AM
Rima22

Join Date: 
Feb 2017
Posts: 
117
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Please eliminate this post

Last edited by Rima22; 10-08-2018 at 05:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-08-2018, 05:49 AM
Rima22

Join Date: 
Feb 2017
Posts: 
117
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rima22 View Post
This is the reticle P3L by Smith and Bender


Is somebody able to estimate the dimension of these dots at 100 yards or meters?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-08-2018, 06:16 AM
ms6852's Avatar
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2008
Location: 
Converse Tx
Posts: 
641
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with Jester. I love shooting long distance and my experiences in shooting beyond 500 yards at targets I never go beyond 9X due to mirage and haze in the hot west Texas climate. The exception is rimfire, specifically 22lr. I love the high magnification scopes because where I shoot the range has a breeze that hits you from all directions of the compass rose. I find this challenging and a way to practice shooting and reading the wind in windy conditions. I love shooting 22lr at 200 yards and at the moment I have the Sightron Big Sky 4-16-X44 on my 10/22 but will put higher mag scopes on my other 22lr rifles for the following reasons.

1. At shorter distances of 25 to 100 yards you do not need a spotting scope to see bullet holes.

2. At 200 yards I find that this is the max distance that you can use max magnifications beyond 9X and clearly see the bulls eye and if you use shoot N C targets you can see hits as well.

3. Buying a high magnification scope is literally a one time purchase for the rest of your life that will remain useful throughout the magnifications the scope offers, because as you age and your vision gets worse, which it will, you will be grateful that you can always increase the magnification to view your targets. I now find that for me 16X is not enough.

Now keep in mind my recommendations simply applies to rimfire shooting, because when I shoot beyond 500yards with centerfire rifles I always find that depending on how hot the day is my scope remains dialed in between 7X and 10X.

One more thing to remember and this is crucial. Always and I mean always make sure that your scope has and adjustable objective lens or a parallax adjustment knob. So save a few more months and buy yourself a nice sightron. They have a target scope with very fine crosshairs and their glass and warranty are top notch.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-08-2018, 10:12 AM
Gizmo60's Avatar
Gizmo60

Join Date: 
Apr 2018
Location: 
Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
Posts: 
697
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
.... buy yourself a nice sightron. They have a target scope with very fine crosshairs and their glass and warranty are top notch.
Using SII 36x fixed, superfine + hairs and dot for 50 & 100 yd BR.

Super scope.

Giz
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-08-2018, 12:33 PM
SavagePlinker

Join Date: 
Sep 2015
Posts: 
2,147
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rima22 View Post
Thank you for your opinion.
I don't play the bench-rest game, just some time when I have to tune my rifles/scopes
Perhaps if you would tell us what you are planning to shoot with this scope, instead of what you aren't, we could give you meaningful advice.

I know of only 3 kinds of rifle shooting done with a .22: walk-around hunting, offhand target (as with silhouettes) and bench-shooting. Some would say Appleseed/prone is another, but to me that is a kind of bench shooting, with the ground being your bench.

And you say you do little bench shooting? Because the scopes I use for walk-around hunting and silhouettes are completely different from what I use for everything else, which is to say, bench-play.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Rima22

Join Date: 
Feb 2017
Posts: 
117
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
Perhaps if you would tell us what you are planning to shoot with this scope, instead of what you aren't, we could give you meaningful advice.
Really!?
Animals from 5 oz. to 30 lbs, using a wide range of ammunitions I've mentioned before.

Now I wait your interesting "meaningful advice"

Last edited by Rima22; 10-08-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-09-2018, 12:38 AM
Rima22

Join Date: 
Feb 2017
Posts: 
117
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
So save a few more months and buy yourself a nice sightron. They have a target scope with very fine crosshairs and their glass and warranty are top notch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo60 View Post
Using SII 36x fixed, superfine + hairs and dot for 50 & 100 yd BR.

Super scope.
Thank you for your advices but I think you didn't read the thread

Last edited by Rima22; 10-09-2018 at 01:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-09-2018, 06:25 AM
Rima22

Join Date: 
Feb 2017
Posts: 
117
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rima22 View Post
I never had a rifle scope with parallax corrector and I never felt the need to have it.
Does it help for shots at 30-100 yards?
I can see the most of them don't have this feature... then I suppose it'is not essential. Am I righ or wrong?
What about parallax corrector?

Is it necessary, indispensable or not?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-09-2018, 08:58 AM
gcrank1's Avatar
gcrank1

Join Date: 
Apr 2018
Location: 
south central WI, USA
Posts: 
3,400
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Imo, YES, especially if you want to shoot small targets under 100yds.
Why? Well, just the parallax can make your point of impact off by a fair bit IF you dont always get your head, and thus eye, in exactly the same position behind the scope Every Time. Not an easy thing to do in ‘field positions’ and even an issue on a bench for some (many?).
For instance, I have some older, non AO scopes that have POI variations at 50yds, one up to 1.5”! (that one has rather thick crosshairs which probably contribute to that error). They were fine for larger varmint and deer hunting, not good for trying to shoot dimes.
One of the best pieces of advice Ive ever heard is,”Use the right tool for the job”.

Last edited by gcrank1; 10-10-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-10-2018, 01:31 AM
Rima22

Join Date: 
Feb 2017
Posts: 
117
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you gcrank1 for your answer, I think I should go deeper into the topic of parallaxes and corrections, I need to understand it very well.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-10-2018, 01:36 AM
Rima22

Join Date: 
Feb 2017
Posts: 
117
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
Perhaps if you would tell us what you are planning to shoot with this scope, instead of what you aren't, we could give you meaningful advice.
SavagePlinker, I told you, now I'm waiting your "meaningful advice", where are them?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x