Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:50 PM
98_1LE
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rima22 View Post
Is this one your scope? Very good video presentation.
That is it.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:53 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sophia, I have never seen magnification explained quite like that (and I am old) but it makes a lot of sense. I am not that precise and prefer lower powered scopes for close and fast but that explanation deserved a .
Old 10-07-2018, 12:59 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Sophia, I have never seen magnification explained quite like that (and I am old) but it makes a lot of sense. I am not that precise and prefer lower powered scopes for close and fast but that explanation deserved a .
Thanks for that.

Yep, mag depends mostly on how you intend to use the scope -- target vs hunting, need for speed vs precision, type of target and distance, etc. Also, we can't ignore the eyesight of the user or the quality of the glass.

A youngster with excellent glass needs far less mag than an older shooter or one handicapped with poor glass.
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Rima22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now I'm thinking about a balistic reticle, because I think they are much more practical and immediate then balistic turrets. Am I right?

This is the reticle P3L by Smith and Bender, I think it should be an interesting solution for 22s and low light too!

What do you think about?

Last edited by Rima22; 10-07-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:30 PM
SDBigDog1955

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
OP has 1000 dollar limit man o man I could spend that in a heart beat

Might want to look at the 10x50x60 Sightron
http://www.opticsagent.com/SIGHTRON-...ET_p_1320.html

or the Leupold 45x45 https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold...5mm-scope.html

I have a T36 and would love to up grade to a used March Optics 10x50x60

https://www.opticsplanet.com/march-o...MO60RS-MAR1020

Never Never too much power in a scope

good luck and post pics when u are done
Old 10-07-2018, 02:48 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Now I'm thinking about a balistic reticle, because I think they are much more practical and immediate then balistic turrets. Am I right?
Immediate? Yes. They are especially excellent for use in adjusting for wind effects even if you have used the turret to adjust for range. Just note where the shot landed on the reticle's scale and move that point to your target.

Precise? No.

If shooting at a known distance (and you keep notes about settings for each range) you get better precision by adjusting for distance (elevation) using the turrets simply because the adjustments are finer than are the distances between the marks on the reticle. Where the reticle method has an advantage is with unknown ranges (mark the impact on the reticle's scale and adjust from there) and where speed is more important than precision.

For example, if you are shooting at a hit-or-miss target, such as metal plate that must be knocked over for score, the marks on the reticle as aimpoints are sufficient. If you are trying to place the bullet inside a small 10-ring adjusting the turret for elevation is going to give better results.

As for turrets, I prefer them marked/graduated in MOA (and fractions of) rather than having them matched to the trajectory of any particular cartridge. That makes them much more useful (flexible). I also prefer them to be easily turned by hand rather than requiring a tool such as a coin or screwdriver. Best case would be such a turret matched with a reticle such as you show above.

Last edited by Sophia; 10-07-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Rima22 sir the most important thing is the reticle first...I have had reticles so thin they would disappear in some back grounds and other so thick you could only use them for elephant hunting ...not really but better for big game or close range pig hunting. You want to find one that works for you...not one you have to make work.

The magnification range you need/like and then the brand is last.

Good luck on your quest.

Signalman
Old 10-07-2018, 04:32 PM
Rima22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBigDog1955 View Post
OP has 1000 dollar limit man o man I could spend that in a heart beat
We have different opinions
Thank you for your links.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Rima22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Immediate? Yes. They are especially excellent for use in adjusting for wind effects even if you have used the turret to adjust for range. Just note where the shot landed on the reticle's scale and move that point to your target.

Precise? No.
Do you think the Mil-dot could be precise enough for a target of 2" at 100 yards?
In this case accuracy dipends on the reticle or on the shooter?

Quote:
If shooting at a known distance (and you keep notes about settings for each range) you get better precision by adjusting for distance (elevation) using the turrets simply because the adjustments are finer than are the distances between the marks on the reticle. Where the reticle method has an advantage is with unknown ranges (mark the impact on the reticle's scale and adjust from there) and where speed is more important than precision.
A long time ago, I have adopted an easy method of work..
First of all i set the optical sight at 100 mt with a precise HV ammunition, about 1350 fps.
After that I test at different distances, 25-50-100-150-200 mt. the following ammunition:
1) HV I've used;
2) HV HP;
3) standard;
4) Subsonic HP
5) Short (only at 25-50 mt)
then in a table I take note of all this 22 values, compared with the first one has got value ZERO at 100 meters.

Until 100 mt for me is very easy to estimate the distances, with small tollerance max 5 meters when is far, from 100 to 200 is more difficoult, but my tollerance is no more then 15 meters.

Of course this is not the best way for accuracy, but it works good anough for my targets and immediately!

Alternatively we have to use something like these two:

Last edited by Rima22; 10-07-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:09 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Do you think the Mil-dot could be precise enough for a target of 2" at 100 yards?
In this case accuracy dipends on the reticle or on the shooter?
A mil-dot reticle that has the dots spaced one mil apart will have them appear to be 3.6 inches apart at 100 yards. (at 200 yards they will be just over 7 inches apart)

If your aimpoint falls right under a dot then all is well. If your aimpoint is somewhere between the dots you will have to estimate where it is and get the same estimate with each shot.

Some mil-dot reticles have supplemental marks between the mil-dots.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:34 PM
Rima22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
You want to find one that works for you...not one you have to make work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
The magnification range you need/like and then the brand is last.
Not brand but quality is important.

Thank you for your post.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:52 PM
Rima22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
A mil-dot reticle that has the dots spaced one mil apart will have them appear to be 3.6 inches apart at 100 yards. (at 200 yards they will be just over 7 inches apart)

If your aimpoint falls right under a dot then all is well. If your aimpoint is somewhere between the dots you will have to estimate where it is and get the same estimate with each shot.

I know 90% of my shots is are less then 110 yards, I suppose the simple Mil-dot could be enough for the evaluations in this range, even at 200 yards is not difficoult to share 7 inches.
We have to remember the 22lr can be very accurate until 100 yards but at 200 yards is an hard job to get a target of 4 inches.

Quick OT
Sophia, how many avatar have you got?
END OT

Last edited by Rima22; 10-07-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:02 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Magnification should be dictated by the size of the target you use, how far away it is, and how precisely you need to place the shot, not the cartridge in use.
Sophia is spot on.

IMO, type of shooting, target size, distance and level of accuracy your trying to achieve will dictate what scope is required.

Note, super fine cross-hairs and tiny dot's no good with black targets, + hair/dot just disappears.

Giz
Old 10-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Rima22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo60 View Post
Note, super fine cross-hairs and tiny dot's no good with black targets, + hair/dot just disappears.
Exellent consideration!
Similar problem when there is very low light

We can easly imagine the difference between this two:

Old 10-07-2018, 08:21 PM
Rima22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thinking about, if dots and lines are thin and illuminated when needed, half dots could be an advantage.

Last edited by Rima22; 10-07-2018 at 08:33 PM.