Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:57 PM
Talyn
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Finally got my 82G squared away

I've been trying to get a proper optic set-up on my 82G for a few months, and today I finally I finally got it figured out.

I've had a Weaver Classic V 6-24x42 AO on it with a couple mount set-ups, last being with B-Square weaver adapters for the dovetail receiver using 1" Warne low rings.

But with that set-up I maxed out the elevation adjustment just making it to a 50 yd. zero. That wasn't acceptable so I spent some time here and found a thread where noticed a gent had used a DIP Inc. dovetail to rail mount for an Anschutz 64 that fit his 82G perfectly. Plus it had a built in 25 MOA cant so I figured I could recover some adjustment room.

I ordered one from DIP and got it in the mail on Sat, it did fit perfectly and I swapped things over yesterday. The new combo barely had enough clearance on the objective end to clear the barrel with a Butler Creek flip up cover.

I went to the range this morning and set targets at 25, 50 & 100 yds. Of course the 25 yd. zero was off so I walked that in to a zero, and then went to a 50 yd. zero with only a few adjustments. In doing so I regained ALOT of the elevation & windage adjustments back on the scope. I used Fed Gold Medal HV & CCI Mini Mags for the zeros and both were shooting well at 50 yds, 1/4" & 1/2"groups respectively.

I took a shot at 100 and noticed the big drop on a Hi-Viz target with a dead-on hold. I also noticed the drop corresponded with the second lower vertical hashmark on the scopes Ballistic-X reticle. I aimed next using that hash mark & got right in on the bull. I ended up with 1/2" & 1" groups at 100 with the Fed GM HV & Mini Mag ammo. I figure the hash mark in between the cross hair & the second hash mark to be around a 75 yd. zero based on what I got at 50 & 100 yds.

Left the range happy with the results, and that I finally got the right configuration that works.

Last edited by Talyn; 09-24-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:10 AM
Mike Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice.
82G is such a great rifle for the money.
I like switching between scope & peeps. I also shoot from position and sometimes bipod. It's just really easy to switch up on the 82G. I just use the dovetail on the rifle.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:41 PM
Talyn

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I agree its a great rifle. I've had mine for awhile and didn't shoot it much after I got it from the CMP.

While I shot fixed sights when I was a collegiate shooter with Anschutz free rifles those days are long past and going to an optic is the best bet for me now.

IMO the 82G stock isn't real good for position shooting but I guess I was spoiled from using free rifles with the much better egos. I tried to upgrade the 82G with a Boyds At-One stock but the one I got was so bad I figured I would have to stick with the original stock.

I first tried the dovetail for scope mounting but ran into the same adjustment issues with the Weaver 6-24, then I moved to the B-Square adapters which gave me a better mounting system but didn't fix the adjustment issue.

I did a trigger job on mine which made the pull much better but still nothing like the Anschutz free rifles from back in the day. That experience has always driven me to have light crisp triggers in my centerfires, hunting or target.

My .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2018, 06:59 PM
Dickn52
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Never tried mine with a scope. Put a Phoenix Precision rear peep on it with a Redfield Olympic front and I can hold a half inch group at 50 yards with it.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:34 PM
Talyn

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'm glad I got things figured out now with it and that I can put good groups into the bull at 100 yds, providing the winds aren't too squirrely at that distance.