Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
wdl002
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit hunter67 View Post
Very good looking smoke pole you have there!

VH
Thanks, as you can see it can easily put 30 shots inside one inch at 100 yards, so I am confident in hitting my target at 75 is what I try to limit my shots on my favorite target.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2018, 03:57 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
jaja

Last edited by profsrgary; 09-05-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-14-2018, 10:38 PM
TLARbb

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrat View Post
Tis time for all to agree: The .22 WMR is NOT a target round and was not designed as such. It is a kill larger varmints round and it does that very well.

JMHO
I agree to an extent. Where I have a problem is that with the technology available today in bullets, powders, and manufacturing processes, I can see no reason that 2 minute accuracy shouldn't be routine for almost any available firearm currently manufactured. Especially since the price of the ammo is a good 3x the price of .22 LR and it, by and large, can't seem to match up accuracy wise.

EJ
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2018, 09:51 AM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After reading this thread a few questions enter my mind. How much more would I be willing to pay for 22 mag ammo if it was a better quality and consistency and why doesn't an ammo manufacturer offer a premium grade ammo in 22 mag? I was told by someone at CCI that cci std vel is the exact ammo as the green tag but the green tag is tested every lot. When I look at the price difference between the two I don't think I could afford green tag 22 mag ammo.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:54 AM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by profsrgary View Post
After reading this thread a few questions enter my mind. How much more would I be willing to pay for 22 mag ammo if it was a better quality and consistency and why doesn't an ammo manufacturer offer a premium grade ammo in 22 mag? I was told by someone at CCI that cci std vel is the exact ammo as the green tag but the green tag is tested every lot. When I look at the price difference between the two I don't think I could afford green tag 22 mag ammo.
I think that the way the manufacturers see it is that the current ammo is most definitely accurate enough for hunting.
Because there are no competitions that are based on the WMR round, not many people are likely going to ante up the money that they would be charging for a premium ammo.
Why make a 'target' quality ammo when their are no 'target' competitions.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Explosive

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unless shooting indoors ( never ) I am at the mercy of the wind. I can only shoot good consistent groups on one of the rare calm days........... The only 22 long rifle ammo that shoots well for me are standard velocity which is severely affected by wind. Unfortunately there is no standard velocity .22 Magnum that I've ever heard of.

I shot this 5 shot group at 110 yards yesterday with my new 22 Mag 455 varmint rifle which needs trigger work. I don't think it can get much better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5659.jpg (510.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Explosive; 09-15-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:17 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You don't need to.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:21 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snagglepuss View Post
I think that the way the manufacturers see it is that the current ammo is most definitely accurate enough for hunting.
Because there are no competitions that are based on the WMR round, not many people are likely going to ante up the money that they would be charging for a premium ammo.
Why make a 'target' quality ammo when their are no 'target' competitions.
Totally agree. Also the amount of 22 mag offerings are a very small fraction of the 22lr. As well as Eley 10X shoots in some rifles if it was the only 22 ammo available there would be some rifles that it would shoot poorly from.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:18 AM
papalondog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
One of the two best groups shot by me (or in this case my wife) was out of one of my Anschutz 1720's. Literally one hole at 100 yards. Fluke, yes, but most day we can hold them to 3/4 inch 5 shot groups. Going to pick up a Cooper Custom Classic 22 mag today. 22WMR is absolutely one of my favorite calibers, but I'm in total agreement that the ammo is the culprit in most cases. I have at least a dozen different target/match brands of 22 LR, but the 22 WMR is limited. I seem to get the best results with the Hornady 30 gr with most of my 22 mags. Still a bit heavier bullet to buck the wind than the 17's. Great thread guys.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:41 PM
brucear
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin 783 and a Winchester 94/22 XTR

My brother has a Marlin 783 22 Mag that I bought for him on his 12th birthday he is 51 now and he shoots his gun at least a couple times a week to this day. I believe accuracy is how well you know your gun and your skill and from what you guys have been showing on targets and talking about you can't hold a candle to him with his Marlin no disrespect meant. I used to be able to do pretty good with my Winchester Model 94/22 XTR that I got on my 13th birthday still comes down to you got to shoot a lot know your gun and your limitations. We grew up on a farm here in southern Indiana so we packed our guns every day all around that farm. Our grandfather used to give us 50 rounds and tell us to go kill the varmints and make every shot count so you learn to be pretty darn good with them guns.

Bruce

Last edited by brucear; 12-25-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:36 AM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot a 9422M in lever action silhouette matches. The quality control on factory 22 WMR ammo is a problem.

For example, I've gone as far as to reload unfired CCI 40gr jhp with 45gr 22 Hornet bullets. When pulling the factory bullets and measuring the factory powder load, the problem was instantly apparent. Factory powder charges varied from 5 to 6grs. Accuracy will never be good with sloppy quality.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:05 PM
drinva

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucear View Post
My brother has a Marlin 783 22 Mag that I bought for him on his 12th birthday he is 51 now and he shoots his gun at least a couple times a week to this day. I believe accuracy is how well you know your gun and your skill and from what you guys have been showing on targets and talking about you can't hold a candle to him with his Marlin no disrespect meant. I used to be able to do pretty good with my Winchester Model 94/22 XTR that I got on my 13th birthday still comes down to you got to shoot a lot know your gun and your limitations. We grew up on a farm here in southern Indiana so we packed our guns every day all around that farm. Our grandfather used to give us 50 rounds each and tell us to go kill the varmint and make every shot count so you learn to be pretty darn good with them guns.

Bruce

If I remember right back then both guns had 3x9 Tasco scopes on them
Awesome! Kinda like you, I grew up making my father upset having to buy more ammo each week.

Those 3-9 Tasco scopes back then were WONDERFUL scopes! and the price was right as well.

DR
Old 09-29-2018, 03:27 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My rifle doesn't shoot well with a cold barrel, but once that barrel warms up, it can shoot under a 1/2" at 50 yards, with three different kinds of 40gr. ammo. It's a Ruger RAR 8352 (stainless). It's main attraction is that it carries and handles so well.
On the whole, I like my CZ 527 .22 Hornet better, but I can't argue about the accuracy once that barrel gets a couple of rounds thru it. It doesn't help it's hunting "chops" to have the first shot out of a cold barrel hit a bit "off", though.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:11 PM
drinva

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennasher View Post
My rifle doesn't shoot well with a cold barrel, but once that barrel warms up, it can shoot under a 1/2" at 50 yards, with three different kinds of 40gr. ammo. It's a Ruger RAR 8352 (stainless). It's main attraction is that it carries and handles so well.
On the whole, I like my CZ 527 .22 Hornet better, but I can't argue about the accuracy once that barrel gets a couple of rounds thru it. It doesn't help it's hunting "chops" to have the first shot out of a cold barrel hit a bit "off", though.
Maybe the answer isn't "hot or cold", maybe it likes a fouled barrel better to be more accurate? If this is the case, pre-fire it before hunting increasing your POI accuracy.

DR

Last edited by drinva; 09-29-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:35 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
After testing multiple brands of 22wmr, with still more to go,
I can state that the ammo quality is not supporting all these claims of accuracy.
I'm not commenting on a single 5 shot group or possibly 10 shots,
I'm dealing with 50 shot groups, each fired consecutively at a single target.
To prevent barrel overheating, shoot 5, take a break, shoot another 5, take a break.
It allows me time to inspect the cartridges very carefully.
Canted and unevenly seated bullets, irregular case mouths, dented bullets,
and the chronograph numbers just don't back up those claims of "all day long."
No rifle can make poor quality ammunition produce consistent accuracy,
unless the muzzle is so close to the target that skill is unnecessary.

You can review the data for yourself.
The 22wmr section of the 50 at 200 thread in the RFC long range rimfire forum.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1129343

Last edited by jaia; 09-30-2018 at 07:49 AM.