Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:14 PM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
This topic has been hashed over a number of times with the pretty much the same conclusions, and I promised myself to stay out of this one, but, to answer your question and verify that there indeed some great shooting WMR rifles out there. All groups shot with either 2x7 or 3x9 Leupolds. Maybe it's a freak rifle, but it shoots very well....a stock CZ 452.
Not saying groups like yours aren't impossible (my Savage shoots 1.25" fairly consistently at 100m.
My comment was aimed at the fellow who (and those like him) who claimed here about a month ago that his guns shoots 1/4" at 100yds.
If that is true, and it consistently does it I stand by my assertion:
-That is a 1 in a million gun
-He should be in the Olympics
Old 08-20-2018, 12:43 PM
Rockhoundbarkley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1081217?page=1

Second post down, this is a magnum research at 50 yards. I loaded the 9 rd. Magazine with only 8 rounds of 2 different ammo types. 4 rounds of cci 40 gr. Hp and 40 gr. Jacketed sp. Group was a little over .4 st 50 yards. Very accurate little rifle. When I break out the deer rifles to check sight for the year ill try the 50 rd deal.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:12 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snagglepuss View Post
Not saying groups like yours aren't impossible (my Savage shoots 1.25" fairly consistently at 100m.
My comment was aimed at the fellow who (and those like him) who claimed here about a month ago that his guns shoots 1/4" at 100yds.
If that is true, and it consistently does it I stand by my assertion:
-That is a 1 in a million gun
-He should be in the Olympics

Yes, I do agree with what you say - I don't think we have conflicting opinions here. There are some exceptional guns (and ammo) out there. But some claims do border on the ridiculous. I think I got extremely lucky with my CZ WMR Lux - and in fact have been fortunate with all the CZs I've owned), but I make no claims beyond what is shown on my targets. I too get tired of the claims made by folks with relatively inexpensive guns and ammo about accuracy that would make a bench rest shooter envious. Those claims are almost always based upon small samplings and a true lack of understanding about accuracy standards. The problem with those who claim totally unreasonable results is that it can make the less knowledgeable or uninitiated have unreasonable expectations for their guns. This in turn can lead to dissatisfaction with an otherwise fine or acceptable gun.....and an endless and expensive goose chase.

I do enjoy these discussions......and I emphasize that I'm like a lot of folks. I know a lot about a few things, a little about a lot of things......and virtually nothing about a whole lot more things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2018, 08:00 PM
rwphilli

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
Some of y'all have been a touch more realistic with 1.5 to 2 moa plus.
That's generally been my experience and I've tried Anschutz, Kimber, CZ, etc. I've shot a few "one ragged hole" groups at 100 yards, but find 1.25" to 1.50" AVERAGES to be darn good shooting 22 magnums.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:55 AM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

I noticed a few things in this thread that I find interesting. First of all most of the problems are pointed at ammo quality or consistency. It appears that some think that when they get a box that shoots super and then later get a box that shoots poorly it is the quality. Well then why do I get groups from sub moa to 2.5 moa out of my .308 when I handload 4 different loads. I can assure you I load all 4 loads are the same except the powder charges start at 45 grs and increase 1/2 gr, for each load. I also saw a target shot at 200 yards with 30 gr, bullets. It must be the inconsistent ammo right. Couldn't be the fact that this round has 26" of wind drift at this distance, actually 10" more than a sub sonic 22lr if subjected to a 10mph crosswind. It also went from super to sub sonic about 50 yards before it hit the target. At 200 yards this bullet has 70 fpe which by the way is the exact same amount of energy that a cci mini mag has at 200 yards and the mini mag has 19" of wind drift compared to the 30gr 22 mag's 26" at 10mph crosswind. The 30 gr 22 mag has more wind drift and no more energy that a 22lr hv at 200 yds. The only ballistic gain over the 22 lr is trajectory. Is some of the inaccuracy do to inconsistent ammo? Of course. All of it? Not even close. Another thing I have noticed is the claims by members to have rifles that shoot groups under 1" at 100 yards on a fairly regular basis are the budget rifles. Now I know some people wouldn't be caught dead carrying a $250 rifle but I suggest before you give up on the 22 mag you try a Savage, Marlin or a Ruger. Now I did not include CZ simply because they are in a slightly higher price range. From what I have read there are several CZ that shoot well. JMHO
Old 08-22-2018, 12:27 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Professor, you left out the Zastava MC22.

VH
Old 08-22-2018, 03:08 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Note the recorded mv's and the solo stray way down at the bottom.
2240 fps high, 1912 fps low...that's cr*ppy ammo

when they get a box that shoots super and then later get a box that shoots poorly is it the quality?

Only when backed up by chronograph data and visual inspection of the cartridges.
When you find varying seating depths, canted bullets, differing brass dimensions
and the chronograph shows more than 100 fps ES, yeah, I'd blame ammo quality.
MV relates to primer/powder charge and if those are sloppy, so are trajectories.
With CCI produced rimfire, you're talking about manually installed primer.
It's spread into a punch plate then tapped into the empty brass.

Visual inspection of a few disassembled cartridges will show some rims with a minimal amount of primer.
others will show heavy primer running up the inside of the brass. That isn't decent quality.
Powder content is actually fairly even, on the ones I pulled and weighed.

Last edited by jaia; 08-23-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:39 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit hunter67 View Post
Professor, you left out the Zastava MC22.

VH
Sorry about that VH but I probably missed some others for which I apologize in advance.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:28 AM
wdl002

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is my Marlin 25MN, the only thing that is still stock is the receiver, even the bolt has been modified, it may not count, and the new CCI SPEER GOLD DOTS shoot a little better, more consistent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by wdl002; 08-23-2018 at 04:03 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:22 AM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice shooting
Old 08-23-2018, 11:57 AM
wdl002

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by profsrgary View Post
Nice shooting
Thanks, that was 100yds using Remington 33gr. Ballistic tips. I truly believe the 22mag can be very accurate it is only hampered by the lack of quality of the ammo, the lack of consistency from round to round. I have shot many groups that were around half a inch and below, just not consistently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by wdl002; 08-23-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:22 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by profsrgary View Post
Sorry about that VH but I probably missed some others for which I apologize in advance.
Just a quicky... a couple of recent groups with my CP22 WMR at 50 and 59 yd.s

[IMG][/IMG]
59 yd.s - 3 rounds.

I was using a 6'clock hold on the bottom of he target dot with the Hornady. There are iirc, 5 rounds through this hole. Three rounds on the CCI.

I had previously zeroed with Aguila 40 gr, HPs, but I haven't been able to get any more. I was shooting bing cherries off a 2x4 at fifty yards just like clock work.

My next root waud out is at 125 yd.s, but the Johnson grass is so tall I can't see it well enough to shoot any targets. Hopefully, the field will be bush hogged in a couple weeks and I can stretch it on out.

Just for grins, I had my Sav. 93R17hmr out there the same day. I had a wood screw in a board above my target from a previous outing. I thought I would see if I could hit it with the 17HMR.... 59 yd,s. The picture is self explanatory.

VH

Last edited by varmit hunter67; 09-05-2018 at 08:54 AM. Reason: correct Mdl #
Old 08-23-2018, 02:56 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is some nice shooting VH. For some reason my RAR seems to like the CCI JHP 40 gr. better than the 30 gr. To be honest I only tried a few 30 gr rounds when I first got it and when I saw how it shot 40 gr I never looked back.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:34 PM
drinva

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Two different guns. 100 yards 10 shot groups CCI 40gr JHP, you be the judge.....

Savage A-22WMR

Marlin 883SS 22WMR

DR
Old 08-23-2018, 10:29 PM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
understanding inconsistency

I have had a nice Mauser 201 Lux for quite a few years, that at times has shot extremely good, but not consistently. After reading this thread I now understand what the problem has been, the ammunition itself. Since this is just a sporter and not a heavy barrel rifle, I thought it was the rifle at times. It has taken several coyotes and a few raccoons and possums with various loads, but I`ve come to settle on the 50 grain Federal, because it seems the most consistent performer for me. It is not the most accurate, but for me the most useful.