Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:16 PM
Shenandoah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalondog View Post
Gray digger was digging holes all over our orchard last week. Shot him in the head at 110 yards out the bedroom window with my Anschutz 1720 sporter barrel. Good enough.
Kinda my philosophy as well. I took my Steyr Zephyr II and Anschutz 1522, both 22 magnums to the bench this afternoon. Pricey rifles in this cartridge can suck too as you can see. In an attempt to save a little face, the wife and kids didn't give me much time to shoot, it was breezy and the sun was in my eyes. Lol
There is nothing to brag about regarding how they punch paper. In fact, they are the two worst shooting rimfires I own. But I don't try to shoot squirrels in the head with them. I do take groundhogs, coons, foxes and crows with them, and they do very well. Oh ! And one coyote. I really like that little accuracy challenged cartridge. KIMG1732.JPG

These groups were at 50 yards. Top two rows are the Steyr, bottom two are the Anschutz. USBR target for reference. Didn't measure the groups, but the circle is two inches across. Both rifles started with Winchester 34gr. and ended with CCI 40gr. I apologize for my image going sideways, I don't know how to turn it right side up.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:26 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Thanks for your target and post

'accuracy challenged cartridge'...so true

Maranatha-
pipestone
Old 09-29-2019, 08:02 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ammo or rifle ???

Just a sharing of my experience. I did have an Anschutz in .22 magnum and I never could get it to shoot well. The much less expensive Marlin did better, and I kept that rifle. I have no idea why, just the results. I felt badly as I did want to Annie to do well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2019, 09:26 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
.22 WMR results

A couple weeks ago I took advantage of some nasty weather to sit down and de-copperize my Zastava .22 mag and Savage .17 HMR, as well as my Savage 110L .270 Win. I used Rem Bore 40-X Bore Cleaner as that is what I had on hand. I followed the directions and cleaned the bore at least twice on each rifle. I bought the .270 in 1961 and I think this is the first time I had actually cleaned the bore for copper residue. It has always shot very accurately.

This past weekend I carried the rifles out to the DNR range at Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center/Clybell Farms Management Area. Nice sunny day, little wind and 70 degrees.

I'll get around to posting on the HMR and .270 another day; this is just on my WMR.

I have a Zastava MP22 imported by "Five Group Las Vegas NV USA." I have had it about a year and a half and this is the first time I have really cleaned the bore and then shot it to see if my efforts had any effect. The only other mod was to open the barrel channel and assure a free floating barrel when I first started shooting it. I have a Nikon P-223 3x9 AO Spot-On BDC scope on the rifle. I was shooting Hornady 30 gr. V-Max at 100 yd.s Wind was negligible. The range has tree cover along the sides and a high berm at the far end. I was using a butt pad and bipod.

It took about a dozen shots before it seemed to settle and start shooting a group. On the target I selected a clean area and fired one shot to create an aiming point. I then shot the group seen below. I was amazed, to put it lightly. This rifle always seemed to shoot very well, but this was the first time I was on a measured 100 yd. range actually shooting off a cement bench with ideal conditions.

From center to center from the 12:00 o'clock to 2:00 o'clock hole is 0.399 in.s. From center to center from the 12:00 o'clock hole to the 6:00 o'clock hole is 0.501 in.s. I called it a day on that group.
[IMG][/IMG]

VH

Last edited by varmit hunter67; 12-04-2019 at 09:33 AM. Reason: edit
Old 12-22-2019, 12:33 PM
wheeler488

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magnum Research Mag Lite. Radiused Bolt, Bolt Buffer, VQ Extractor & Firing Pin, VQ TG2000 Trigger Group.

Last edited by wheeler488; 12-22-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:29 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Rossi RB22M

$142. out the door

I'm impressed

Emmanuel-
pipestone
Old 12-22-2019, 07:11 PM
drinva
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sure is nice to see some of these wonderful .22 WMR groups from all you guys!!