257 Roberts or 7x57 Mauser? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:48 PM
sav99fan
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

One of the new exclusive 77's this year is the Bob and one is exclusive is the 6.5x55 and the no1 stainless mannlicher is in the Bob.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:03 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Both calibers are pretty awesome. Flip a coin. 🙂 I have wanted a Bob longer though. Have the reloading dies for it; no rifle yet though.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:14 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
My huntin' buddy's Dad gave her his old 257 Roberts as a Christmas present. He missed it so badly he bought her a new 30-06 Sprg and traded her out of it.

Personally, I would go with the 7x57mm just for the wider selection of bullets available.
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2018, 01:28 AM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought 3 new tang-safety M77s in the '70s and '80s, sold them when I needed money and am currently shopping the gun shops for replacements.

The two I miss most are a 77V (26" HB) in .220 Swift new in '78 and a 77RSI (International) in .308 when it came out in mid '80s. Both hard to find now.

The only one I've considered buying recently is a model RS (with sights) that is marked 280 Rem 7mm Express on the barrel. Might be rare with those markings but not good enough condition to collect.

Haven't seen any in .257R or 7x57, might be rare?
Old 08-15-2018, 01:34 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the 77 series. Those made after 2000 are usually very good shooters. My 308 shoots very well with Federal 150 grain premium and scope mounts are great. Do you reload? Which caliber is easier to feed. rc
Old 08-15-2018, 09:19 AM
jkingrph
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
I havent seen ‘cheap’ 7x57 anywhere for some years now.
And where do you find .257 Roberts
Old 08-15-2018, 10:36 AM
sav99fan
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
But I do have a 77 tang safety in 7x57 with a Weaver k10 way more accurate than my first tang safety in 7mm rem mag.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:04 AM
Olympus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’ve been reading that the 7x57 Ruger M77 came with a very fast twist rate of 1 in 8.75” and this causes accuracy issues when shooting the lighter bullets. Seems like most people are reporting better accuracy with 160 grain bullets and above. That really cuts down on the versatility of this gun being stuck with heavier for caliber bullets. I’m not thrilled about that info.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:32 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I submit that it is not the twist with the lighter bullets but the typical long throated chamber.
But your point about the versatility is valid, though ‘just how accurate or inaccurate’ one may be for your particular needs can rarely be characterized by someone else.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:03 PM
Olympus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
257 Roberts or 7x57 Mauser?

I think the throat issue by be a contributing factor too, but it can’t be ruled out completely. If the throat was not overly long, you’d still have issues with over stabilization when pushing lighter bullets faster. And since the lighter bullets are too short to be seated out extra long to take up some of that throat space, you have a chicken or the egg situation where to can’t figure out which one is the real problem.

Is the poor accuracy due to long throats where the smaller bullets are jumping the rifling or is the poor accuracy due to a twist rate that’s too fast for a smaller bullet? I tend to think the twist rate has be the biggest contributing factor is accuracy because we know what over stabilizing does to smaller, faster bullets in other calibers. I think the long throats simply exasperate the issue.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:43 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
There are differing opinions, but I am not convinced that ‘over-stabilization’ is the major issue unless one is into the hyper-velo range where jackets come undone.
With each gun’s variables the only way to tell if it will or will not meet your requirements is to define them and give it a go.
Fwiw, every time I have tried the lighter end of the bullet weights I have not been disappointed for field performance. If one requires bench-rest type groups from a field grade gun it would be better to stick with longer bullets for the throating and even then the magic sub-moa may be elusive.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Turkey13
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
257 Roberts for me.

I have owned a 257 R for around 50 years. It is built on 98K mauser action and sports a med sporter barrel. Oil finished stock. I have used it fox hunting with 87gr and mule deer with 100 gr Win silver tip bullets. I load everything for it. Used it to compete in hunter class bench rest and never took back seat to anyone
Old 08-17-2018, 03:58 AM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I've owned two Ruger 257 Roberts rifles, one tang safety, and the other a MK II.

The 257 is good for deer, hog, and Black Bear within its capabilities...115-120 gr. bullets at no more than 300-350 yards, despite the recent hysteria over long-range shooting. 300 yards is a fur piece! Most people I know just use the 100 gr. bullets, and are happy. I had a 100 gr load that shot into 7/8" at 100 yards, and didn't feel undergunned.
257 Brass has become Unobtanium/expen$ive! But, you can neck down 7X57mm Mauser (parent case)brass, or neck up 6mm Remington, (same parent) either of which is more available.
I never did shoot lighter varmint bullets.

If you want more "versatility", the 6.5 X 55 mm Swedish Mauser, or its newer reincarnation, the .260 Remington, whose popularity is fading, can be loaded to "Super" 257 Roberts levels with 120 gr bullets, or will take larger game very well with 140 or 160 gr. bullets. The Scandinavians have been taking Moose for years with the heavier bullets.

The 7 X 57 MM Mauser will take all but the the largest game on most of the world's Continents very handily, with perhaps the exception of Alaskan Brown Bears, and Feral Brahma bulls.

But...remember "You shoot best with what kicks you least", and buy something you find pleasant to shoot. My Son in Law, (Bless him) went out and bought himself a .300 Winchester Short Magnum. He is an educator, and knows it all! He is always measuring distances with his handy-dandy super duper rangefinder, and then saying " Well, I missed a deer at 435 yards". REALLY? Hmmm...the Moon must have been in the wrong phase...or something.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:41 PM
MR7
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Not a lot of choices in the 6.5x55 caliber in Rugers and they tend to bring a higher price. I did see that auction you posted a link to. Looked like the floor plate is all buggered up. Not worth the price to me considering the condition.
Look again, the floorplate is engraved. This is a very nice rifle in a great caliber at an excellent price. I'm guessing the owner may not have been able to get it to shoot well. Are you a reloader? If you were to buy it and you could not get it to shoot well (first I'd try measuring the freebore with a Hornady/Stoney Point Overall Length Gauge and setting the bullets out a little further) if that doesn't work you might try loading David Tubb's Final Finish bullets and fire-lap the barrel. This is a very cheap accuracy fix for the handloader. I have turned a few 1-1/2" shooters to sub-MOA rifles with the Final Finish system.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:38 PM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Bumping this back up. Curious if OP has made a commitment to either load. I think the biggest snag in the OP quest, is limiting oneself to the Ruger M77. If open to other rifles, in the specified price range, I would go with:

#1. The 7mm Mauser, aka 7x57mm, aka .275 Rigby. This cartridge permits greater flexibility I think for a variety options regarding reloading, big game hunting, and finding a (nice) rifle within your price range.
#2. Regarding the rifle, since you appreciate the vintage rounds, why not also go with a vintage design action? May I suggest something in like a commercial mauser action such as the Interarms X-Mark bolt action rifle which can be had very reasonably, and are very well made, or a Parker Hale, also well made. Of course most European makers have offered that chambering. So you might find another maker you like too.
#3. You already have a fine example of a Ruger in a 257 Roberts, expand your horizons with the 7. As already mentioned by some, this cartridge is not a recoil hammer, as a matter of fact, I would consider it an ideal North American non-dangerous big game cartridge for serious but novice women and adolescents.

So what did you decide to get?