Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Olympus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
257 Roberts or 7x57 Mauser?

Hey guys, Iím thinking about buying an older Ruger M77 in either 257 Roberts or 7x57 Mauser for a hunting rifle. Iíve never owned an M77 and always wanted one, plus I want one in an older, less common caliber. Right now, I already own a 257 Roberts but Iíve never shot it. Itís a Ruger No. 1 RSI that I bought new and it was just too gorgeous to shoot. With the 257 Roberts only being made one year and with the uncertainty of the Ruger No. 1 model in general, I thought leaving it unfired might be a good idea. The value of No. 1 rifles seems to be going higher and higher every year.

That being said, my deer rifle calibers consist of 6.8 SPC and 243. Iím leaning more toward the 7x57 as it would be more versatile for other game if I ever decided to hunt anything more than whitetails. I like the 257 Roberts also, but it might be too close to my 243 that I already love to shoot and hunt with.

Iím trying to keep an eye on GB auctions for used No. 1 rifles under $700, but that hasnít yielded much luck aside from African calibers which I avoid like the plague. Really, Iíd like to say under $950 total for the rifle and a good scope. A No. 1 would definitely be my first choice, but an M77 in a unique caliber would be a very close second. Interested in hearing thoughts and opinions on this matter. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2018, 10:15 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the 7x57 if that is going to help you decide. The irony is, I never much cared for the 257. I mean, why would you value my opinion one one given the other? I did have Ruger 77 in 250 savage and it was a great rifle. I dont know, really .... why are you asking us again?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:21 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here you go. Split the difference get a Model 77 in 6.5x55. They have a current model and the former models. And several No1 models. Also, Internationals if those appeal to your fettish for the unusual. FYI, the 6.5x55 with 160 grain bullets good for any game in North America. Not ignoring the exploits of a certain Bell in Africa on elephant. Then he did do the same with the 7x57.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/783228237
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Olympus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
Here you go. Split the difference get a Model 77 in 6.5x55. They have a current model and the former models. And several No1 models. Also, Internationals if those appeal to your fettish for the unusual. FYI, the 6.5x55 with 160 grain bullets good for any game in North America. Not ignoring the exploits of a certain Bell in Africa on elephant. Then he did do the same with the 7x57.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/783228237

Not a lot of choices in the 6.5x55 caliber in Rugers and they tend to bring a higher price. I did see that auction you posted a link to. Looked like the floor plate is all buggered up. Not worth the price to me considering the condition.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:10 AM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
It seems like you want the Ruger, and they are a classic rifle, to be sure. But older Rugers have variable barrel quality, as Ruger used several sources for barrels. Triggers are upgradable, which is important, as M77 triggers are safe and reliable, but not necessarily conducive to accuracy.

Both calibers are very capable, the 7x57 will, with custom loads, be able to take larger game. The 257 Roberts, like all "quarter bores" is lethal on light-skinned game like deer.

Both calibers have limited factory ammo choices, so reloading might be necessary to get better than MoA accuracy, if that's a goal.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:27 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast View Post
It seems like you want the Ruger, and they are a classic rifle, to be sure. But older Rugers have variable barrel quality, as Ruger used several sources for barrels. Triggers are upgradable, which is important, as M77 triggers are safe and reliable, but not necessarily conducive to accuracy.

Both calibers are very capable, the 7x57 will, with custom loads, be able to take larger game. The 257 Roberts, like all "quarter bores" is lethal on light-skinned game like deer.

Both calibers have limited factory ammo choices, so reloading might be necessary to get better than MoA accuracy, if that's a goal.
I agree.
New Rugers have a better reputation for accuracy.
Between those two calibers I would go with the 257 Roberts.
Having no restrictions, I would certainly pick a more popular caliber.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:31 AM
Olympus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am a reloader and would definitely be loading my own ammo. With somewhat uncommon calibers, I typically buy a couple boxes of Prvi Partisan or whatever is cheapest and use that ammo to get my scope somewhat zeroed, at least on the paper. Then I have a batch of fire-formed brass with which I can start working up my own loads with.

Maybe not the best process, but it always works well for me on new calibers.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:03 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I should have never got rid of my two ‘Bobs’.
Regarding the caliber, what are your real (not imagined) intentions? Check out what the Bob’s top end loads will take for game and consider there is probably some overlap with the 7x57 on its lighter end of loadings/capability.
I know that for ME, in WI, the Bob will do it all, target to varmints to White-Tailed Deer and Black Bear.
Romance of caliber aside, I have lost the facination with noisy, big, kicking cartridges. Even my 30-06s are loaded down to 30-30 equiv., reduced velo, cast bullet velocities and do just fine.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:52 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I've had both and loved both, so I don't see how you can go wrong with either. They're both mild recoil and deadly on deer-sized game. To get the most out of either you''ll need to use handloads. Not just for accuracy, but for optimum velocity, since both calibers were developed in the days of low pressure actions. The .257 will approach a .25-06 in velocity without the attendant high barrel wear, the 7mm Mauser is a virtual twin for the 7mm-08 (no surprise there.) I always used Nosler Partition bullets in the Roberts, and the penetration & expansion with these was phenomenal. I always got an exit hole and a good blood trail when needed.

I have a real soft spot for these old calibers, as you may have guessed.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:43 PM
TOMBECK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Interesting question. Have used a Rem 270 for years, but decided I wanted to try both the 7MM Mauser and the 257 Roberts. Bought the brass, bullets and dies before I found a 7MM at a good price, and the dies for the 257 Roberts before I found the rifle. Got brass (not easy to find at a reasonable price) and bullets this WE. The 257 is a Rem 722 in good shape (needs stock redone) and 7MM in Ruger 77. Been too hot and rainy to get to the range so far. Think the 257 may be more comfortable with the 118 grain, but will know in a few weeks.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:48 PM
jkingrph
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have honestly never seen a 257 Roberts. I have one of the earlier "red pad" Ruger 1a rifles in 7x57 and it's a delight to shoot, recoil is very mild. This is one of the long throated models, so it's accuracy is best with long heavy bullets. I found a nice "custom" Mauser at a gun show in 7x57 and traded a post 62 Win 70 30-06 featherweight for it. The Mauser has beautiful wood and I did a bit of upgrading on it. Custom features seemed to be a very high grade stock and an E R Shaw barrel. I had my local gunsmith install a Timney trigger, and then replace the bridge type Pictnanny rail scope mount with two piece Warne bases. I got a Leupold VX3i in 3.5x10 40mm for it and the med rings I got are just a bit too short, the bolt handle scrapes the ocular bell so I have a set of high rings due to come in tomorrow.

From my limited experience with the little Ruger I like the 7x57, but would say if you come across something you like in 6.5x55 grab it, it's one of my favorites although my experience is strictly with the Swedish Mausers.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:35 PM
grgsailor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have Spanish 1916/93 Mauser in 7mm x 57 that I purchased in 1981 in a pawn shop for $35. I eventually had it drilled for scope rings and found a Ram line stock for $60. Its fun to shoot and has decent accuracy. Its fairly light. I reload for all sorts of calibers and you can find 7mm bullets in all sorts of designs and weights. Brass is easy to find at gun shows. the bullets, cheap at flea markets.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:38 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I havent seen Ďcheapí 7x57 anywhere for some years now.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:31 PM
Rider357

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I donít have a 7mm but do have a 7mm-08 and two 257Rís. Both kill deer nicely and are very accurate. If you choose the 257 you will be restricted a maximum bullet weight of 120 grains. I havenít found that to be a problem in my experience. Since it was mentioned I also have a Ruger 77 African in 6.5x55 by Lipseys, a bit heavy but a nice classic rifle look, also quite accurate.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:32 PM
damonkeydobad
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Having Remington 700 and Ruger #1 in each caliber i use my 257s much more light recoil and great varmint/deer caliber.I have taken three elk with the 257.But nothing wrong with 7x57 aka 275 rigby.Also you have a real prize in a #1 in 257bob if you shoot it you will never want to sell it.