Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:30 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Farthest shot taking a critter?

Bragging or just stating the facts. What was your longest/best shot with your 17WSM?

Mine was Richardson ground Squirrel at 160yards and as grandpa says " do twice or it never happened" I took another at 158yards 10 minutes later.

Savage BMAG SS, Bedded Boyds Rimfire Hunter, Tactical bolt, Simmons 4.5-18x44 Predator Quest. 20gr Winchester.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:55 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have shot some tree squirrels a tad over 200 yards with Savage BMAG and 20gr fodder.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:14 AM
SquirrelDown

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Coyote 125 yards not really had a chance to use mine on anything but squirrels and most of my shots on them are within 20 yards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 09:58 AM
Ponyroper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ranged a couple of Pdogs at 298 yards with my range finder and managed to take them both down. Took me more than one shot each but they were the obliging sort and gave me several shots each. That was before I screwed up my SSHB BMag by putting it in a Boyd's stock. Put it back in the original stock and things got a little better but now it's a major challenge to hit anything past 200 yards. Can't seem to find the original combination it had to begin with. Haven't given up trying though.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:46 AM
ocharry
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
ok,,,i got a question for SquirrelDown....

tell us ,,,or me about that yote

i have killed a couple coons and a few squirrels,,,,no offence,,,,BUT

i seem to have this yote that keeps coming into my pasture...i have seen him more than a few times,,,of course i am always neckid,,,,uhhh,,,, without a rifle i mean,,,and he showed up last evening,,,again,,,bout 6:45-7:15,,,just standing there about 20yrds for the edge of the woods,,,,looking in,,,see a lot of rabbits there,,,,it was about 100-125 yrds from me,,no further,,,but i will range it to be sure,,,,never knew i was there,,,till i stood up,,,went in for rifle ,,but he was gone when i came back,,,

so i am going to make a rifle stand and when i go out to have coffee and a pipe in the evening i am going to start taking a rifle with me

so the question is,,, how did the Bmag handle the yote,,,DRT,,,or did it run off??,,,,or go down and flop around a little,,the ones i have killed with a 223 have done the bite and shuffle spin,,,before going down

i just dont want it running off to die,,,i want it down,,,

sorry for the high jack,,,was going to start a thread about this ,,,and you were here,,lol

lol,,,

ocharry
Old 08-14-2018, 10:58 AM
SquirrelDown

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hit him in the head so he done the death kick with his back legs from just the nerves and muscles relaxing. I'm torn on trying a heart or lung shots with such a small caliber. I'm sure the heart shot would drop him right there but that .17 could deflect off anything. I go for the head if he's far enough for me to question if I can hit him there then I don't shoot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2018, 11:28 AM
Arowpoint
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Early May 2018, Eastern Oregon, B-mag heavy, Boyds pro varmint, 4-12 Vortex, 20gr Hornady, big fat sage rat. First shot sprayed him with dirt and he ran off the mound. A few second later he came back up on the mound, stood there raised his little arm as if to say "shoot higher" or "I'm number one". Second shot, gun went bang, saw him roll off the back side of the mound and then heard a whop. Range finder read 378 yards. Lucky or what?
Old 08-14-2018, 12:56 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arowpoint View Post
Early May 2018, Eastern Oregon, B-mag heavy, Boyds pro varmint, 4-12 Vortex, 20gr Hornady, big fat sage rat. First shot sprayed him with dirt and he ran off the mound. A few second later he came back up on the mound, stood there raised his little arm as if to say "shoot higher" or "I'm number one". Second shot, gun went bang, saw him roll off the back side of the mound and then heard a whop. Range finder read 378 yards. Lucky or what?
Sounds like we have similar-ish setups and similar results on the same critters. I was down shooting sage rats this spring and the field I was shooting in they had been hit pretty hard. Not only were the numbers pretty low but they were really skittish, I was even shooting suppressed, and nearly all my shots were 250-350 yards. My furthest kill was 347 yards. Sage rats don't take a lot to kill and he fell over dead with no problem, but the splat factor was pretty low so I'd say these thing aren't delivering a great deal of energy when you start reaching out to these distances and beyond.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:38 PM
Snoman1013

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Farthest shot 17wsm

Compared to some it sounds like I need to keep practicing! I was really happy to take a couple of prairie dogs one at 241 yards and the other at 220 yards.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:27 AM
TheCZKid
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a Long One!

My longest shot was about 300 yards... I saw a larger sage rat off on the upslope side of the alfalfa patch we were shooting in, and he stood there like a furry bowling pin! So I said to my buddy "Check out the big sage rat, way out there" and I did bit of Kentucky windage and... POP! Hit him first shot!
It was toward the end of a day shooting in the fields, so I had the "feel" for the distance and we had a left-to-right wind. More luck than anything, but I still remember it!

That's with the Savage B.Mag SSHB in Boyd's thumbhole stock, bedded, Clearidge Ultra XP5 4.5-22.5-50mm scope, a Great scope by the way!

Last edited by TheCZKid; 08-20-2018 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:17 AM
ShooterJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arowpoint View Post
Mostly skill with a little luck, nice shot!

Did you do it off a bipod?

Last edited by ShooterJ; 08-22-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:07 AM
ShooterJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't have a great shot to brag about but I know a guy that shot a golf ball at 50 yards, he hit it on his 2nd shot. Might not sound like much but another guy with a 17 HMR unloaded a entire magazine at the same ball and hit nothing.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ShooterJ, how are you coming up with over 6ft of drop w/100 zero?

My calculations come up with only 3.5ft or 41.8in. of drop at 400yds with a 100yd zero and at 375yds it's only 34in. or 2.8ft of drop.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:24 AM
ShooterJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
ShooterJ, how are you coming up with over 6ft of drop w/100 zero?

My calculations come up with only 3.5ft or 41.8in. of drop at 400yds with a 100yd zero and at 375yds it's only 34in. or 2.8ft of drop.
I pulled up my ballistics program and pulled up the .17 wsm but it did not auto load the fps. it used my last velocity which was for a 450 bushmaster at 2200 feet per second and not 3000 fps.

Good catch and thanks. Yea I plugged in 3000 fps and sure enough its 41.8 at 400.

So huge goof there, was probably tired and posted too fast.

Ok so now I take back all I said about that great shot
Old 08-22-2018, 02:09 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
We've got allot of rootin tootin shootin going on around here. Any shot on a pop can size target past a hundred is good in my book. Sadly around these ND parts the gophers are coming out less and less. Only nabbed 3 on Saturday and saw absolutely nothing today. I plan on cleaning up all the guns I used this summer and putting them away. I'll keep the wsm handy though in case a nice 80+ sunny day comes around. The smoke has made it terribly hazy for some time now and not expected to clear soon. Those gophers like direct sun light.