Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:10 PM
Hollywoodx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RPR ejection fix?

So. I bought two of these rifles. One for my wife, and one for me. Hers had ejection issues cause massive frustration. Mine on the other hand LAUNCHES casings.

I did some investigating and found the part number 29, "cartridge positioner spring" is bent.

I just sent ruger an email to reflect this.

the first pic is both bolts next to each other.

second one is mine with properly bent spring.

third is hers with bad spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180811_184154_1534039806917.jpg (481.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20180811_184213_1534039824378.jpg (272.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20180811_184204_1534039839971.jpg (296.9 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Hollywoodx; 08-11-2018 at 10:12 PM. Reason: more information
Old 08-11-2018, 11:56 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Aha!

Part # 29. Cartridge Posisioner spring is bent.How does this effect ejection?i would think this springs function is to hold the cartridge against the extractor claw so the cartridge can be inserted into the chamber .

Let me ask you, does part # 54 magazine latch assenbly fall out when you disassemble your rifle? Does it sit loosely in its slot in the chassis? Note that the ejector is part of this assembly.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:11 AM
Hollywoodx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I figure it helps ejection for that very reason actually.

It is the only difference between these two rifles. One is sending rounds 2 bays over and the other keeps plopping them right next to the rifle. Often stovepiping or ejecting so weak that they drop back into t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2018, 12:12 AM
Hollywoodx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To the other point. I have had her rifle appart, not mine yet. But I can say that hers doesnt fall out. I dont forsee any issues with mine.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:30 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok next question..

Have you swapped bolts? Does the ejection problem follow the bolt?

As to part 54 flopping out, or in your case not,that is good news.

Is your gun accurate? Does it have flyers? Does it feed easy or does it shave lead?

Does your bx 15 magazine move fron and back and side to side?

Are you shooting with or without your muzzle thread protector?
Old 08-12-2018, 02:00 AM
Hollywoodx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Have you swapped bolts? Does the ejection problem follow the bolt?

As to part 54 flopping out, or in your case not,that is good news.

Is your gun accurate? Does it have flyers? Does it feed easy or does it shave lead?

Does your bx 15 magazine move fron and back and side to side?

Are you shooting with or without your muzzle thread protector?
1) Pic taken from phone. it is approx 1/4 - 1/3 inch center to center. 5 shot group. 25 Yards with CCI SV Target.

2) read number 1. No fliers "yet" that arent self induced. Using a 18x scope at 25 yards really shows how much heartbeat wiggles barrel. No known feed issues with this one. My wifes on the other hand was having problems as well...possibly tied to same damage? Last on this point, no shaving from either rifle yet.

3) the BX 15 is crap. It is very loose, and, much like my Savage 64 FXP, it appears that as more than 10 rounds are loaded, the rounds lay more and more flat causing them to bounce off the forward end of the mag internals. We had some double feeds, misfeeds and other using that. Knowing that from the start I opted to buy a 10 round mag for both of us before getting the rifles.

4) the thread protector is on both. I want to get a volquartsen forward blow compensator, or something similar, if the barrel were slightly thicker (.92 vs .87)

Last edited by Hollywoodx; 08-12-2018 at 02:08 AM. Reason: pics
Old 08-12-2018, 02:12 AM
Hollywoodx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
well never mind then. says i cannot upload due to quota
Old 08-12-2018, 07:56 AM
Dranrab
US Coast Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I applaud Ruger for giving blind people a job opportunity in the bolt milling department. They really ought to run them through QC before they ship them out though.

Last edited by Dranrab; 08-12-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:51 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Hollywood

Let me ask my question in another way.

Have you taken your bolt with the correct part # 19 and put it into your wifeís gun and fired it. And visa versa?

If so , did your wifeís guns problems stay or go away. And visa versa ?

This test would tell us if part 19 is the sole cause of the issues.

When Ruger sends you a new and correct Part #19 and you put it on, and use it will also tell us.But that could take a while.

It is also possible if you put your good bolt into her bad gun your part # 19 could be damaged in the same way so be careful!

As to the thread protector , you can get a correct diameter one that doesnít mess up the shot from DIP products . Itís the one for the Savage FV for 7 bucks. They may even have a muzzle device, but I donít think a 22 needs o break or a compensator or a flash hider. And the addition of such could just cause issues.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:27 AM
Hollywoodx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was aware of what you asked. But, no. I have yet to test. I'm heading to a longer outdoor range today and will follow up.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:37 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Thanks!

No slight intended. Iím just so desperate to get mine workin right. I got your wifeís rifle! And Iím struggling like you to fix it. To much Dale Carnegie training!
Old 08-12-2018, 02:03 PM
Sieg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab View Post
I applaud Ruger for giving blind people a job opportunity in the bolt milling department. They really ought to run them through QC before they ship them out though.
I've bought a RAR Target in .17HMR and a RPR .22LR in the last 6 months. Both have ended up being shipped back to Ruger after extensive clean up work from sloppy casting, stamping, and machining and multiple trips to the range testing and measuring results.

The RAR was replaced with a gun that had a bolt machined worse than the first which I didn't think was possible and two scratches in the barrel that were bad enough you wouldn't have bought it from a local shop. But it is very accurate and functions reliably.

The RPR bolt was sloppy and extraction was poor until I reworked the extraction hook nose and angle and flat sanded the stamping burrs. Ejection is weak even though the spring has decent tension and rides against the bolt face. I played with shimming the ejector bar and deburred the nose with no improvement. It still will leave a case sitting on top of the magazine unless the bolt is racked quickly. Besides function the accuracy @50yds is poor .75"-1.00" on average with CCI SV and SK Standard Plus. Calling the rifle "Precision" is being as honest as politician.

Ruger's production plan and quality control theory appears to be manufacture and ship units as quickly as possible without any quality control process. If the customer contacts them with issues based on a qualifying phone or email conversation with a less than knowledgeable customer service rep who issues a call tag and you have to go through the hassle of disassembling your firearm, packaging, and delivering to a shipping center. Then you're without a firearm for X amount of time. You get what they ship you back.

I bought my first Ruger when I was 16 in 1974 and have owned many more. After the last two experiences I'm done with them until they make major proven changes in their manufacturing and quality control.

Sadly, I don't think Ruger is long for this world.

While I was typing this Savage just responded to my July 20th website inquiry regarding accuracy issue with my Bmag. No questions or explanation of testing or work to be performed, just remove all accessories and ship it back.

Last edited by Sieg; 08-12-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:55 PM
Hollywoodx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
No slight intended. Iím just so desperate to get mine workin right. I got your wifeís rifle! And Iím struggling like you to fix it. To much Dale Carnegie training!
back from range. So, disclaimer, we are both very bad at this kind of range. Granted only 100 yards. I was using a stack of wood and a sandbag on the front and shouldering the stock. She was using a bipod and bag.

My groupings are approx 2 inch across. I havent shot consistantly in a VERY long time. Hers was about the same, though she was using CCI AR Tactical.

My theory is consistant with what i expected. I swapped my bolt to her temporarily and the issues resolved. Mind you i only shot 5 rounds bit the ejection went across the bay.

That said, mine is not immune to bad ejection. Every once in a while it will not pull the round out and drop it back into the magwell.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:59 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Well we now knowsomething else.

Bent part 29 cause of poor ejection
Loose part 54 causing movement of magazine causing feeding/ shaving issues and accuracy issues
Bad thread protector design creates a gas trap that induces flyers
Bad bx 15 narrower front to back than bx 10 movement causing feeding / shaving accuracy issues
Bad barrel. They already replaced mine, and a few others.
Trouble with mlok screws touching the barrel cause the faux ar Mlok fore-end is too small in circumference.

At 100 yards you should have grouped at an inch, unless it was windy . Or at least had the beginnings of a few good groups. 22s do best for me at 50 yards , next time out try that.

Well I guess you got sucked into this too.It seemed like such a good idea, at the time. The stock adjustability is fantastic. The trigger is light and crisp.The chassis concept seemed to be the ticket.the ar rail and grip so modern . And yet I have a 1953 Anschutz jr varminter , with a cracked crown that outshoots it,spongy Trigger and all.
Ruger screwed the pooch on this one. And unfortunately we are the pooch.

Well mine is going back on Monday for the second time. If it doesnít come back right this time Iím sending it back again and again till they get it right or give me a refund. I didnít take that Dale Carnegie Course for nothing!
Old 08-13-2018, 01:21 AM
Hollywoodx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Bent part 29 cause of poor ejection
Loose part 54 causing movement of magazine causing feeding/ shaving issues and accuracy issues
Bad thread protector design creates a gas trap that induces flyers
Bad bx 15 narrower front to back than bx 10 movement causing feeding / shaving accuracy issues
Bad barrel. They already replaced mine, and a few others.
Trouble with mlok screws touching the barrel cause the faux ar Mlok fore-end is too small in circumference.

At 100 yards you should have grouped at an inch, unless it was windy . Or at least had the beginnings of a few good groups. 22s do best for me at 50 yards , next time out try that.

Well I guess you got sucked into this too.It seemed like such a good idea, at the time. The stock adjustability is fantastic. The trigger is light and crisp.The chassis concept seemed to be the ticket.the ar rail and grip so modern . And yet I have a 1953 Anschutz jr varminter , with a cracked crown that outshoots it,spongy Trigger and all.
Ruger screwed the pooch on this one. And unfortunately we are the pooch.

Well mine is going back on Monday for the second time. If it doesnít come back right this time Iím sending it back again and again till they get it right or give me a refund. I didnít take that Dale Carnegie Course for nothing!
as far as the groupings go, when i said consistently i was referring to the interval between going to the range. I haven't fired a gun with intent in 4 years, even then i was to qualify and that is it really. Overall i am honestly very pleased. There was some wind, not alot though. I blame my lack of accuracy on being out of shape and not using proper supports.