First 10/22 build, and itís a Superstock - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:32 PM
Condition Yellow
Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First 10/22 build, and itís a Superstock

Hello, all. I’ve been a member for 9 years and have only posted 32 times, so I guess I’m quite the lurker.

I just read the thread on diminishing action in the Superstock section, as well as Vincent’s encouraging others to start a new thread describing their build.

I have a stainless carbine I bought at Walmart probably some 17 years ago. It had the boat paddle stock. It had some FTE’s so I put a Volquartsen extractor in it, which fixed the problem. I also dropped in an extended mag release and auto bolt release. It initially wore a CHEAP Simmons 22 Mag scope.

I wanted more accuracy so I purchased a GM 20” fluted bull barrel for it. I sanded out the boat paddle stock to fit the barrel. I found the barrel shot no better than the factory 16 1/2”, so I put in a VQ trigger. It really lightened the trigger up, but had a huge amount of take-up. The heavy barrel really threw off the balance of the rifle.

I sold the barrel and put the stock one back on, which was obviously much lighter, and shot the same size groups. I also replaced the Simmons scope with an original Nikon 4x rimfire scope. It is very clear and bright glass. I really like the balance of the smaller barrel, but was not happy with the accuracy, even after trying some 6-8 different brands of ammo.

Alas, the boat paddle stock now looked like junk. By this time I found RFC, and fell in love with the Superstock rifles I saw. I-n l-o-v-e. I eventually bought a DSP stock, which instantly brought the rifle back to life as far as how it looks. But, alas again, the action is very loose in the stock.

So, I started informally planning a build in my head. But life gets in the way and we put things off for a while. In the mean time, all the times I’ve drug the rifle through the field hunting rabbits and plinking made the aluminum receiver and trigger look rather worn. Well, I finally sent my trigger group and receiver off to Brimstone for a tier 2 trigger job, and a Cerakote for the trigger group and receiver. While it was there I bought a GM Sporter barrel. The trigger came back amazing, right at two pounds, with almost no take up, and no over travel. I can verify everything others say about how nice the triggers are after they work on them. Much better than the VQ drop in kit! I’ve put a Tac Sol picatinny scope rail on it, an upgrade from the weaver rail it wore. I also bought a Kidd bolt handle for it since I never liked the stock Ruger part, and it rusted on me.

The action, barrel, and stock are now with a friend who also owns a Gunsmithing business, getting bedded. I put in a pillar for the action screw but don’t trust myself to bed it since I’ve never bedded a rifle before. I am hopeful the new trigger, barrel and bedding will get the rifle shooting where I hope it will be. I may need to buy a new, more powerful scope as I think 4X handicaps what the rifle can do. However, the main purpose will still be hunting and plinking, so I don’t want to go too big.

In the process I’ve learned upgrading the rifle is much more expensive then just buying a new one! MUCH more. It has become a rabbit hole. But it’s also much more fun to build.

Once it is bedded I’ll remount the Nikon and let you all know how it shoots. Pics will follow when I get the rifle back. I may or may not get a new bolt. I know CPC does bolt work, but for some $40 more I can get a JCW or Kidd bolt. We’ll see how it shoots first.

Last edited by Condition Yellow; 07-28-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:53 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I am waitiní on your range report.
And trying to keep from getting in too deep on mine
Old 07-28-2018, 02:34 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
If your still not happy with how it shoots when you get it back maybe consider sending the whole barreled action to CPC for a "full tune-up" minus the trigger work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2018, 04:38 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
+1 that!
Old 07-28-2018, 07:30 PM
Condition Yellow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
gcrank,

I resisted for years, just putzing around with a little thing here or there, but it quickly became a very slippery slope once I committed.

Nick, that is an option. I’d hate to have to send a new barrel to him, but I’d probably not be the first to do it. I’ve been deliberate in the things I’ve upgraded, following the steps of other posts and projects, so I’m confident it will be a good shooter. I’ve seen many others are happy with GM Sporter and heavy taper barrels.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:53 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
With the action bedded you shouldn't have any problems getting the GM barrel to shoot. You will most likely get best results using a support / pressure pad in the channel, but it won't need sent off for any work.

I have Kidd bolts in 2 guns, and couldn't be happier with them, but sending the bolt of for reworking is an option. Ether way the most important thing is you will get proper headspacing. But I will say that a Kidd bolt used with there guide rod is smooth operating.

We'll be watching for the pictures. We like pictures.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:03 PM
Tsb3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Yup, just toss that money into that hole... That's what the rest of us do!
Those GM heavy tapers shoot very well. I own a 19", very happy with it. Some folks on here say the 17" shoots better.
Maybe I'll find out on my next rabbit hole.

Last edited by Tsb3; 07-31-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:21 AM
Condition Yellow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I received the bedded action today. It looks exactly as I hoped it would. The action is rock solid. It has a pillar installed, bedding at the back of the receiver and 2” in front of the V block. I think I’ll most likely mount my Burris Fullfield II 2x7. Parallax may be an issue.

Walmart carbine
DSP walnut stock
GM sporter barrel, 20”
Brimstone Tier 2 trigger
Receiver and metal trigger group Ceracoated by Brimstone
VQ bolt release and mag release
VQ extractor
Kidd bolt handle, springs, and bolt buffer
Tac Sol picatinny scope rail

Now I need to mount the scope, zero
it, and see how it shoots.

Last edited by Condition Yellow; 08-03-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:05 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Very nice looking package! Post some 50 yard groups when you have them.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:59 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Now that's definitely a SuperStock.

Keep us posted on how it shoots.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:28 AM
PineyWdsRimfire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DSP Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow View Post
I eventually bought a DSP stock, which instantly brought the rifle back to life as far as how it looks.
Where did you purchase the DSP stock? I have not heard of this brand before. The stock in the photos you posted looks nice.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:42 AM
Condition Yellow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Piney, it’s a factory Ruger Walnut stock. They are sometimes hard to find. I bought mine a few years ago at Shooter’s Discount. I’d do a search and see if you can find one. Brownells has some right now.

They come with checkering, a rubber but pad, sling swivel studs and a take-down screw. Mine was inletted rather loose. It is by far my favorite style of stock for the 10/22.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:49 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Looks great!
Old 08-02-2018, 08:57 PM
Tsb3

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
That's a good looking Ruger.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Condition Yellow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I took the rifle to the range today. We had gusts to 20, and the target stand was moving around while I shot. I can affirmatively say the little 2x7 has parallax problems at 25 yards. The cross hairs were all over the place when I moved just a little bit! And, at least for me, 7 power is not conducive to little groups.

Having said that, here are some pictures of the results. I broke the barrel in per Green Mountain’s instructions, and these groups were shot during the process, not after. The barrel now has 115 rounds in it. I shot CCI standard velocity, 40 grain; Eley Target; Norma Match-22; and Wolf Match Target. With my scope constraints, which might make any definitive decisions on ammo a moot point, I think the CCI Standard shot the best. Both groups are CCI, @ 25 yards. Yes, I know both the 5 shot and 10 shot groups each have a flier. :-0

I believe this rifle will shoot, and am very happy. Now I need a new scope, then I’m off to the 1/4” Game! Woot!!

Last edited by Condition Yellow; 08-03-2018 at 07:50 PM.