Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:52 PM
BENNYBOOBOO

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
10/22 (and variants) for silhouette

With all of the aftermarket options available for 10/22's; including actions, barrels, trigger groups, silhouette specific stocks, etc...

Is there any good reason that a 10/22 isn't more popular on the firing line at local silhouette matches? Especially in a game where the winning score will always be attributed to the indian, not the arrow.

Considering a silhouette rifle build based on a Volquartsen Summit action, anschutz style stock, barrel that'll lend itself to forward balance, and a trigger that is up there with the best of 'em
Old 07-25-2018, 07:40 PM
stevenh

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
10/22

I have no cost estimates on your proposed build. Based on the list of parts it looks like you are just going to build a 10/22. I would estimate the cost to be well above the cost of a purpose built bolt rifle like a CZ (well below $1000) or Anschutz 64 (near $1000). The cost might even approach a good used 1712 or 54 Anschutz. I'm sure others can come up with many other options. Only my opinion but for the money I would go for a nice bolt gun and leave the costly 10-22s to someone else. As you said, the firing line speaks for itself in that regard. If the top shooters felt a custom 10/22 would give them just one more target they would be all over it.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:39 PM
thauglor

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Without paint, I put together an Anschutz 54 target action (1807 model) into a custom silhouette stock with an FX3 25x scope for about $1800.

How far invested are you into silhouette? If you are only doing this for fun, just get a stock 10/22 and a very nice scope and try it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2018, 07:12 AM
acorneau

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
To add to what the others have said...

Shooting a semi-auto feels very different than a bolt gun. I started shooting silhouette with a 10/22 and after trying out a few bolt guns I understood why they are the preferred style of rifle. That's not to say you can't learn to shoot a semi-auto well, it's just not what most people want for this sport.

If you want to jump right in a friend is selling his semi-suto silhouette rifle over on Steel Chickens:

http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/...hp?f=3&t=12824
Old 07-26-2018, 08:15 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
For the build you are talking about it would be about $1300 if you do the work yourself and keep the parts reasonable. I'm building a Summit action hm2 similar to what you are talking about for hunting, we will see on accuracy.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:45 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Remember that you're shooting offhand. This sport is a much bigger test of the shooter than the equipment. If you can put a 4 MOA group where you want it, you'll do very well and 4 MOA isn't expensive.

Spend your money on the stock, scope and trigger and get something that fits you like a glove. It's about you, not your gun.

My $1,000 10/22 and my bone-stock (except for the trigger spring from Ace Hardware) $400 CZ455 American score about the same.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Travelor
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to Travelor
10/22 and Silhouette

My wife and I started shooting 1/5 scale silhouette with stock Rugers. Then we added:

Stocks
Barrels
Triggers
CPC bolts

In other words, just a frame and all other parts custom. They shoot very well in silhouette but ended up costing not much less than the factory stock 1712's.

We have since upgraded to Anschutz 1712's with custom stocks. Our scores went up by 5 animals with the Anschutz's.

An observation we found as the 10/22's tend to cause you to shoot too fast, thus causing misses.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:39 PM
PAndy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I'll say up front that my advice is to do what you want and have fun

I shoot a 10/22 custom at a local club silhouette shoot sometimes. I enjoy it. Good bolt guns have faster lock time and better triggers...and you don't have to deal with the "recoil" of the bolt bouncing around. If I wanted to shoot the NRA small bore championship...I'd shoot my anschutz.

An accurate 10/22 is capable of winning on a given day.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:58 AM
Travelor
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to Travelor
Addenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
My wife and I started shooting 1/5 scale silhouette with stock Rugers. Then we added:

Stocks
Barrels
Triggers
CPC bolts

In other words, just a frame and all other parts custom. They shoot very well in silhouette but ended up costing not much less than the factory stock 1712's.

We have since upgraded to Anschutz 1712's with custom stocks. Our scores went up by 5 animals with the Anschutz's.

An observation we found as the 10/22's tend to cause you to shoot too fast, thus causing misses.

I must say that our 10/22's were capable with the right ammo of shooting groups that would result in 40/40's. Only "problem" I had was the semi automatic would cause me to rush shots causing some misses.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:11 PM
BENNYBOOBOO

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
That is a lot to think about, even though the Volquartsen Summit is a bolt (toggle) action.

Some other RFC'ers are building some Summits, maybe I'll wait for them to chime in on other areas of RFC
Old 08-05-2018, 01:04 PM
BullseyeDave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PM Sent
Old 08-10-2018, 02:03 PM
ywaltzucanrknrl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot a 10-22 for two seasons. I really like the rifle and shot some good scores with it. It's very accurate and is stock--trigger group, wood stock, Ruger action--except for a reverse taper Volquartsen barrel---so I can only shoot it in Standard class. If you want versatility be aware of the rules when you build yours---it is nice to have a rifle that is "legal" in both Hunter and Standard class. Biggest issue I had with the 10-22 was not taking a rest or getting a rhythm, which is easier with a bolt rifle. That said, I've shot several seasons with a Ize Biathlon Basic 7-2---so, an action similar to the Summit--and I like it better than the 10-22---but it has no taper in the barrel, so again, I've been limited (rules wise) to only Standard class. I've shot plenty of matches with bolt 22's----40-X, ULA, Walther's, Anschutz 64 and a 1712---I still have all the above and like the Ize the best, so I would not rule out a Summit for silhouette---I really like the toggle action and yes, the lock time is slower on the Ize than my bolt rifles, but my scores are similar. If you build one, there is no reason not to shoot silhouette matches with it.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:24 PM
teetertotter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
Remember that you're shooting offhand. This sport is a much bigger test of the shooter than the equipment. If you can put a 4 MOA group where you want it, you'll do very well and 4 MOA isn't expensive.

Spend your money on the stock, scope and trigger and get something that fits you like a glove. It's about you, not your gun.

My $1,000 10/22 and my bone-stock (except for the trigger spring from Ace Hardware) $400 CZ455 American score about the same.
+1. I will add one more thing, a Ruger American WILL surprise you! I second it, it is about YOU. Reaching AAA, then an Annie for Master level? My 2 cents.

Forgot: 10 years ago we had a 27 year old, high AAA Class, that would bring his 16" barrel with children's stock[Peashooter] after some practices. This miniature rifle was ancient and iron sight. About 5 practice shots at turkeys, 77 meters, and he could knock some over. LAUGH, when he did that....Unreal.... we shall never forget. He got married and has a couple kids, and shoots with us every so often. Youngest is 5 and then 3. He was our former Director for some time.

Last edited by teetertotter; 08-15-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:19 PM
rich56

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
10/22 Silhouette

I had and shot with a 10/22. I used a 24"barrel from a 77/22 VBZ. I fabricated the parts to adapt it to the 10/22. I believe the parts are available from Rimfire Sports. A Volquartsen Macmillan stock and a Kid trigger. It shot very well, I didnt.
If starting from scratch I'd go to the 10/22 version with the 20" heavy taper barrel. I'd change the trigger and start shooting. Mine does about 1/2"groups at 50yds. With a good scope that will get you in the game.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:59 AM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
Since this is resurrected, I'll chime in. I've owned perhaps the nicest Silhouette rifle made, a 54MS bolt action. Actually a couple of 54s, 64s too.

I have two more Anschutz Silhouette stocked rifles, a CZ452 in a 54MS stock, and a 10/22 in a McMillan Anschutz MS copy stock.

Shooting standing they are all plenty accurate for the purpose. What does it matter if they shoot 1/2 or 3/4 inch groups when the shooter is a lot less precise?

Ironically my lightweight CZ 452 Lux in the Anschutz stock was as or more accurate than the genuine 54MS. You never know...

Anyway, I've found that there are two types of shooters, 1) those who appreciate the bolt action and the time to regroup between shots, and 2) the type who prefers a semi-auto because when I'm hitting well, it is counter productive to stop and reload, like being in the zone.

I belong to the latter group. I simply shoot standing better with a semi-auto if there's more than one shot to take...Tom

Last edited by Thomasconnor; 01-23-2019 at 11:02 AM.