What spring for Standard Velocity ammo? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:59 AM
Wotan
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What spring for Standard Velocity ammo?

I installed a Kidd Bold and Guide Rod kit in my 10/22.
The guide rod comes with a Standard spring, a + 10% spring, and a - 10% spring.

I would assume the -10 % would be the correct one but I just wanted to confirm.

what would be the correct spring to use with Standard Velocity ammo?

Thank you
Old 07-09-2018, 12:26 PM
PhilF
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Spring

I have 3 10/22's with Kidd guides and springs, I use mostly CCI sv in all, have used nothing but the middle spring (white) and have had perfect function, 2 have Kidd bolts, one a Ruger CPC'd bolt, all run Kidd buffers, again zero malfunctions, I'd say just use the middle spring unless you are using either CCI Quiets or Stingers. The Kidd guides are very smooth, I also use Hornady 1-shot dry lubricant only, Your mileage may vary. Excellent guide/spring system, you're going to like it!
Old 07-09-2018, 12:31 PM
Wiley Coyote
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I'm running five 10/22s with Kidd Bolts, Rods, and STANDARD Springs. The Middle (Standard) has never malfunctioned once. Works 100% with CCI SS HPs CCI SV and CCI Mini-Mags. As always, YMMV...
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2018, 12:50 PM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
use the heaviest spring that will function reliably in order to keep the action from beating itself
Old 07-09-2018, 05:17 PM
Wotan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks all
Old 07-09-2018, 05:42 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I use the soft spring. I havent had luck with the heavy spring. The standard spring works ok in summer with std velocity, but in the colder weather they always function with the lower power with std velocity.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:06 PM
Wotan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
I use the soft spring. I havent had luck with the heavy spring. The standard spring works ok in summer with std velocity, but in the colder weather they always function with the lower power with std velocity.

It does get quite cold here and I prefer shooting on colder days so the -10% may be a better choice.

Thank you
Old 07-10-2018, 07:21 AM
elh0102

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
It does get quite cold here and I prefer shooting on colder days so the -10% may be a better choice.

Thank you
Use the standard spring unless it results in function problems. Standard velocity and match ammo varies some, but most of it, in most rifles, function fine with the standard spring.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:58 AM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just a reminder to smooth the inside of the receiver with scotchbrite or equivalent.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:35 PM
CarolinaChuck
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SV Ammo

With the bolt radius at the back, the guide rod polished and the inside of the receiver cleaned up the 10/22 should shoot standard velocity ammo with stock parts - been doing that since the mid 1980's before all these wonderful parts were ever made. Getting the 10'22 to run SV ammo is what opened up a market for guys like Kidd to start making parts.

I have the same set-up of Kidd parts as you and use the middle Kidd spring with no issues.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:04 PM
gunsmokeer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
stock Ruger spring and guide rod

My 10/22's both have had their bolts radiused several years ago, but even before that they ran fine with standard velocity .22 LR loads, with 40-grain bullets.

They would not, however, cycle CB longs. (29 grain bullet at only 725 fps).

And even today, with the bolts having the radius grind/polish job on the back bottom edge to round off that corner, and even with the standard recoil spring being very old and well used (on one gun it's 35 years old, and probably seen 75,000 rounds of use!) it WILL NOT cycle CCI's new "Quiet" .22LR ammo. It extracts the empty case from the chamber, barely, but doesn't slam it against the ejector to bounce it out of the gun's ejection port. So, the result is a stoveopipe or other kind of failure-to-eject.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:29 AM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (103)
I use the middle Kidd spring and it functions 100%, the heavy will function 99% of the time in mine to (fails to pick up round from mag about 2 times per 100) , Qued bolt, smoothed inside receiver, Kidd rod and buffer.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I have Kidd guide rods in 14 10/22's. Every one of them has the medium spring installed and they all function flawlessly with all ammo subsonic to HV. I never seen a reason to use any of the other ones. If I was able to run suppressed then I might switch one out.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:35 PM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
For any semi-auto gun, the strongest spring that will still allow proper function is the correct choice.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:32 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
One thing to mention.. a shell spit at the 2 to 3 o'clock direction is perfect. I use mostly the Std. weight spring (Wht.).

And.. as stated above smoothing the inside of the Receiver with ScotchBrite (AKA CrotchBrite) is the ticket.. also, no matter what temp range you shoot in the Hornady One Shot Dry Lube is the ticket.. no sludge (MUDD) and no worries about viscosity slowing the action down in cold temps like Oils.. In our cold winters I now run it in all my Shotguns for Ducks/Geese with 100% better cycling.

Last edited by Chaser; 10-19-2019 at 02:36 PM.