Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:05 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman

At seven pounds it's a fair bit heavier than the 20 inch blued one that goes 5.7 lbds.

It's good to see other trims, but the 18.5 inch heavy taper doesn't make a lot of sense to me,
Short unthreaded barrel, it's still heavy, maybe ruger did their homework and are still getting good velocity out of 18.5. But then why did they bother with the 24 inch in the first place.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:16 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I really like this new 18.5in barreled Ruger 17 WSM but I don't think they needed to go with a contour that was quite this large. Something the size of the HB Bmag would have been plenty large enough and then they didn't even thread it, which seems to completely negate the whole purpose of offering a HB shorty model.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:54 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a Ruger 77/17 17HMR with sporter barrel. It looked great and handled like a bigger rifle. But, I sold it because the groups it shot got bigger as the barrel heated up....growing to 2"-3" at 50 yards. Totally unacceptable for shooting prairie dogs. I would predict the same with the sport barrel on the WSM. Stick with the heavier one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2018, 03:52 AM
ShooterJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbates66 View Post
I had a Ruger 77/17 17HMR with sporter barrel. It looked great and handled like a bigger rifle. But, I sold it because the groups it shot got bigger as the barrel heated up....growing to 2"-3" at 50 yards. Totally unacceptable for shooting prairie dogs. I would predict the same with the sport barrel on the WSM. Stick with the heavier one.
Its not for you, but there are quite a few people that just like to have guns in the safe without actually shooting them. Show guns, they get company over and while playing some pool he opens the safe for people to go Ahhh oh I like the feel of this one, oh nice stock, wow it shoulders great. Then they go back in the safe never to be shot.

I know a guy that has 2 of each type of gun and most of them have never been shot.
And no they are not for sale, just for show.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:34 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Then there are those of us who still use guns like a tool. The 17 wsm fills a hunting void for me, but will always be a second rifle in the pack, weight makes a difference for me. Stainless is nice as my year is currently split between coastal Alaska and winters in the interior, stainless is my preferred material.

When it's time to slaughter sage rats the heavy barreled 17 hmr and 223 are where it's at. Ruger already has a 17 wsm that covers the volume shooter in the 24 inch heavy barrel.

The 20 inch sporter is a neat little rifle, at 5.7 lbds about right. The 18.5 inch one is perplexing, if it had a threaded barrel it would make more sense to me.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:18 AM
EBAnd
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Good friend of mine had the same problem with his 77/17HMR...he loved the rifle. Beautiful stock,etc ....so he ordered a drop in 17HMR barrel from Dan Lilja barrels and barrel problem solved ... Super accurate now...
Old 07-06-2018, 11:07 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterJ View Post
Its not for you, but there are quite a few people that just like to have guns in the safe without actually shooting them. Show guns, they get company over and while playing some pool he opens the safe for people to go Ahhh oh I like the feel of this one, oh nice stock, wow it shoulders great. Then they go back in the safe never to be shot.
Yeah but you left out the part about how, as they are showing off their prized possession like it's a bag of plutonium, they get to talk about how much better those 77/17 WSM's are than those POS Bmags and what a bunch of "suckers" all those Bmag owners are for buying such a fugly rilfe because after all, a pretty no shooting POS is always better than a fulgy POS that shoots well. DUH!!!!
Old 07-06-2018, 11:09 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBAnd View Post
Good friend of mine had the same problem with his 77/17HMR...he loved the rifle. Beautiful stock,etc ....so he ordered a drop in 17HMR barrel from Dan Lilja barrels and barrel problem solved ... Super accurate now...
I put one of those barrels in my dad's 77, they aren't cheap, but it shoots pretty good now.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:25 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I solved the problem by buying an Anschutz 1517MPR and a Sako FinnFire II 17HMR, both wicked accurate.....not a 17WSM to be sure, but until a better WSM comes along, I'll shoot the HMR.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:10 AM
ShooterJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I solved the problem by buying an Anschutz 1517MPR and a Sako FinnFire II 17HMR, both wicked accurate.....not a 17WSM to be sure, but until a better WSM comes along, I'll shoot the HMR.
I shoot 1/4 to 1/3 MOA with my cheap BMag. Doubt your HMR can do any better.

There are better WSM like the $2,200 Volquartsen

Or the Franklin AR platform 17 WSM.

Both shoot well but cost 1500+
Old 07-08-2018, 08:06 AM
1raggedhole

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
For some reason the Rugers seem to shoot a little on the slower side, this is based off reading Ruger 77/17 WSM owners results from them chronographing theirs and posting that information, mostly here.

My 24” Ruger shoots the Win 20 HV at 3024 FPS avg. I agree the 20” would be nice, but I wouldn’t want to lose much speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2018, 04:04 AM
TheCZKid
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bmags be good

I like my BMag, stainless, shooter, plus the extra I saved helped me put a superior scope on it. I've shot really great groups with it, and it's prettier than a Ruger

Old 07-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Z400ACDC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I must be living right. Mine shoots 1”-1.25 at 100.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:28 PM
Josie Wales

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does anyone know anything about this rifle?

https://ruger.com/products/77Series7...eets/7218.html

Any ideas about how much velocity the barrel might lose if the original velocity is based on a 24" barrel? Or is it based some other barrel length?
Old 07-20-2018, 04:34 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Wales View Post
Does anyone know anything about this rifle?

https://ruger.com/products/77Series7...eets/7218.html

Any ideas about how much velocity the barrel might lose if the original velocity is based on a 24" barrel? Or is it based some other barrel length?
I'm curious to see what one of these shorty barreled versions chronographs at. For some reason most of the original Ruger 77/17 WSM's with the 24in barrels seemed to be a little slower than the 22in Bmags.

I had my HB SS Bmag cut back to 20in when I had it in getting threaded and it still shoots right at 3000 FPS with the 20gr ammo.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if one of these new Ruger shorty 17 WSM's shot nearly, if not, as fast as the 24in versions.