Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:08 PM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
5 shot group

Shot this group with my CZ 452 at 50 yards with Hornady 17gr VMAX ammo... not bad I can live with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2018, 02:31 AM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Plan on yodaving the trigger as soon as my kit comes in hope to see that shrink a bit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2018, 11:25 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm late to the 17hmr party having adopted the Mach 2 first. Now I have 3 of them. I've come to appreciate the 17hmr as the most efficient and accurate rimfire round on the market. Not even the WSM can dethrone it! It's not however as graceful as the 17 mach 2 and it definitely hurts my ears more. rc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I like the m2 better than the hmr. Imo the WSM will overtake the hmr in the future also. Initially especially the m2 was half the price to shoot. Sounds like it hit $7 a box again recently. The WSM is maybe a $1 more a box and you are getting a lot more performance for a buck. Both perform better ime for the $. Ruger just started making the 77/17WSM again I heard. VQ Custom, Franklin Armory, and Jard are making semi-autos. It may take time but I think the hmr will take a back seat. It has for me.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:31 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Perhaps but I don't think so. I think the easy swap for gun markers between 22 mag and 17hmr makes producing guns in both calibers easier than having one design in 22 mag and a completely different gun in 17wsm. If I'm getting a wsm, I'm going to skip it and get a 17 hornet which is even flatter shooting. Right now I'm killing squirrels about as far as I practically can with the hmr and the noise is annoying. I honestly don't want another rimfire caliber to stock ammo for. With the CA mail order ammo ban, reloading the 17 hornet again makes more sense for me. 17 hmr will continue to have the lions share of the 17 rimfire market in my opinion. Now if they come out with a 25 magnum to go in the same designs as the 17wsm maybe my opinion would change. Imagine 60 grain bullets at 2500fps
Old 06-21-2018, 08:59 AM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Groups are ok, but dots are better.
Hit what you aim at is the challenge.

Try for yourself and watch what happens

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9b...hTa2t0Mm8/view

Download, open pdf, print 8.5x11 actual size (100%)
Old 06-21-2018, 10:10 AM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
17hmr brass different from 22lr?

It's been a very cold wet year here in Michigan. My shooting buddy just came over & we shot at my range just outside the door & as we don't pick up our brass we have a couple years worth planted but it just doesn't grow. I was looking the the 17hmr we shot a week ago & it's all very dark almost black where the 22 is still shiny brass & just a little dull from a long time ago. Does anyone know if 17hmr brass is differnt material than 22lr? Had a blast even if it was cold windy & wet. I have a S&W 422 my buddy had never shot & it a cowbell at 85 yards 2nd shot. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-21-2018, 10:33 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Shiny 22lr brass and dull 17hmr brass?
Might be caused by the lubricant used on the 22lr bullets.
Ends up on the brass and protects it from exposure/weathering.
17hmr is copper jacketed, no lube, no protction.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:01 PM
gebosniper
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the target jaia. I have been shooting a lot of 1 or 2 shot groups lately. As you say, its better to hit the target (and know exactly where each shot lands) than to get a good group. Most of my shooting is practice for squirrel season where you only get one shot. This target will come in handy.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Travelor
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to Travelor
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylo View Post
It's been a very cold wet year here in Michigan. My shooting buddy just came over & we shot at my range just outside the door & as we don't pick up our brass we have a couple years worth planted but it just doesn't grow. I was looking the the 17hmr we shot a week ago & it's all very dark almost black where the 22 is still shiny brass & just a little dull from a long time ago. Does anyone know if 17hmr brass is differnt material than 22lr? Had a blast even if it was cold windy & wet. I have a S&W 422 my buddy had never shot & it a cowbell at 85 yards 2nd shot. Thanks in advance!
I noted the same dull appearance of my Hornady 17HMR ammo. I took a piece of paper towel and wiped the case and bullet and noted a dark substance being removed. I "assume" this is a lubricant used during manufacture. I have since cleaned my 17HMR ammo before use and see the cases are bright and shiny and the plastic tips on the bullets to have a more vivid color.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:07 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post

Try for yourself and watch what happens

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9b...hTa2t0Mm8/view

Download, open pdf, print 8.5x11 actual size (100%)
I much prefer to shoot dots. It brings back memories of shooting 50 ft indoor 4-position. Puts the money where the mouth is. I'm just not as good as I was 57 years ago.

VH
Old 10-27-2018, 09:31 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good shooting BW. Have you tried other fodder such as TNT yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
Now if they come out with a 25 magnum to go in the same designs as the 17wsm maybe my opinion would change. Imagine 60 grain bullets at 2500fps
My 223 can do that, but with even faster fps. You see where I'm going if I follow your train of reasoning eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
I prefer cold bore shooting, as my main purpose for rf and cf 'blowing smoke' is hunting. That said I reluctantly agree with what you are saying Jala.

Al the obtuse geezer

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 10-27-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:47 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Al? You agree?

Old 10-28-2018, 07:44 PM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Good shooting BW. Have you tried other fodder such as TNT yet?

My 223 can do that, but with even faster fps. You see where I'm going if I follow your train of reasoning eh?

I prefer cold bore shooting, as my main purpose for rf and cf 'blowing smoke' is hunting. That said I reluctantly agree with what you are saying Jala.

Al the obtuse geezer
Yes Iíve tried CCI 20gr Gamepoint... they shoot pretty good too... thatís it... I actually resighted my gun in with the CCI Gamepoints since I Yo Dave the trigger it is shootin a tad bit better that the groups I posted... Iím actually taking it Squirrel hunting this week Iíll prob be posting some pics when I come back... donít get a signal were Iím gonna be...
Old 10-29-2018, 11:55 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWstickman View Post
Yes Iíve tried CCI 20gr Gamepoint... they shoot pretty good too... thatís it... I actually resighted my gun in with the CCI Gamepoints since I Yo Dave the trigger it is shootin a tad bit better that the groups I posted... Iím actually taking it Squirrel hunting this week Iíll prob be posting some pics when I come back... donít get a signal were Iím gonna be...
Good luck.
I was in a dead zone all day and I still didn't see anything to shoot.