Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:55 AM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lever Action Silhouette

Tried traditional small bore silhouette, but didn't like it too much. Tried it for three years then someone suggested I give Lever Action Silhouette a try.
I'll keep my CZ because it is a darn accurate rifle, but I'll use my lever gun twice a month and have a lot more fun shooting it.
Not a speed match (not Cowboy Action!). We shoot hunter's pistol targets at 40/50/75&100 yards/meters.
I just changed from Marlin to Henry rifle and like to better. At this time it likes Wolf ME best, but will give it a trial with Eley Force before the Nationals next month - I like 'em better, hope the henry does too.
The most fun "Bang-Clang" shooting sport.

M
Old 06-18-2018, 10:24 AM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Yes, I agree with some of what you wrote, I still shoot 1/5 scale, but the 1/2 scale lever action with a receiver sight is so down to earth that it is simply fun even in the middle of important match. I think it is important to stick with the 1/5 scale too because the half scale are big enough that you can develop bad habits and they don't show up soon enough to catch and correct. How is that for some run on sentences?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2018, 01:35 PM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Could be right - I feel I liked being around the Lever Action shooters more then I did the "so serious" 1/5 scale shooters.
I did both for a while then decided I liked the lever gun sport better - just me.
M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 02:44 PM
PAndy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Lever action is fun, which is enough reason for us. I wonder if they will add a separate low power scope class someday to help out the old eyes crowd. I like lever action partly because it was good for starting my kids in competitive shooting. Targets are large enough to give them a little better chance of scoring some hits. The pistol cartridge (and the 200m event) add another dimension also.
There is not a thing wrong with nra 1/5 scale silhouette...it is great to live in a region where we have matches available.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:17 PM
ayetee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
We shoot 1/2 scale at 40/60/77/100 meters and allow non-magnified red-dots for old geezers.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:13 PM
Doodaddy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My 24" Henry 22lr loves Aguila Super Extra. Accurate, insanely cheap, and knocked over every animal I hit.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:52 AM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Talking Lever gun silhouette

Lever guns are just plain fun. Obviously the younger shooters with good eyesight have a bit of an edge but we geezers can still knock more than a few of the 1/2 scale silhouettes from the rail. Pardon the pun "Give it a shot".
Old 06-19-2018, 05:47 PM
frankmako
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
lever action silhouette is just fun. to me it is the best game over all silhouette matches and i know i shoot them all (rifle and pistol). pistol is just about gone these days. high power rifle for me is a 12 hour one way drive for matches. so it is smallbore and lever action for me. in the lever action game you do not have the equipment race that you find in the other silhouette game. the equipment race is what kills the sport from getting new shooters. but with the lever action you can get into the game cheap.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:41 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My wife and I have been shooting lever action silhouette matches for 3 years. It's great fun and we're lucky to be near Dallas/Fort Worth where theres a match somewhere every weekend.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:20 AM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

My Henry settled in on Norma Tac22 ammo. The Henry fits me better than the Marlin does and I like the straight stock better too.
The Lever Action Silhouette Nationals are next week, July 23-27. I've done all the practice I'm going to get. I have a "natural" excuse if I don't win - suppose to rain there next week. You know that rain deflects bullets ...so if I don't win it was the rain's fault.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:31 AM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good luck at the nationals! Several of our local shooters will be there representing north Texas.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:25 AM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Results fro the Nationals

I didn't bring home a thing! No awards, no door prizes, nada. Had a lot of fun. Got the see old friends from around the country and rather enjoyed a week in the mountains of New Mexico.

The small bore match was the last match. We woke up to cooler than normal temps and some fog rolling over the mountains. I started on Turkeys (75 meters), black targets on a foggy day...my best excuse. The visibility got better as the day progressed, but I'd lost several Turkeys that I should have hit...I was out of the running.

The shooters that use a fiber optic front sight did better in the low light - Green Fiber Optic seemed to show up best. I'll remember this for next time I visit the Whittington Center.

Michael
Old 01-19-2019, 01:20 PM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In September I shot my new Henry .22 Magnum rifle in the Regional Match. I shot with the ammo everyone suggested - Hornady Critical Defense 45gr. I started on rams and did awful, if fact is did pretty bad all day.
Back home I put it on paper - the Hornady was key-holing at 25 yards - bullets struck the paper sideways.
I contacted Henry Service Dept. They were aware of this - blamed it on the plastic tip...However I blamed it on the twist rate.
To prove my point I shot some Federal 50gr bullets - expecting them to keyhole too.
Of course they did not keyhole! So I guess the little plastic tips do cause the issue. Marlin and Winchester rifles don't have this problem, just the Henry.
Now I shoot CCI TMJ at targets out to 75 yards and Federal 50gr at 100 yard targets.
I'll be interested to try the new .22 magnum ammo due out this year.
M

Last edited by 41B; 01-19-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-19-2019, 07:22 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41B View Post
I'll be interested to try the new .22 magnum ammo due out this year.
M
What new magnum ammo?
Old 01-20-2019, 12:38 PM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamP View Post
What new magnum ammo?
CCI is said to have new ammo in the works. Some already out, others later in the year.

Don't know more than that

M