Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:42 PM
Doodaddy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw062 View Post
I' decades younger than most in this thread.
I don't have enough time to spend the little money I have for shooting.
It looks like this might be fun once or twice, but I can't imagine putting much time into an event that has me shooting unsupported WITHOUT A SLING.

I'm an oddball, especially for my age, but might as well shoot a rifle without sights if you aren't going to use a sling.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
I've been shooting since I was a teenager on my own money and time. Both silhouette and benchrest. I've barely broken 30 years old now. As with anything, you'll do it if you want to and if you don't, you'll make an excuse and do something else. No harm no foul either way.

I shoot silhouette because I enjoy shooting, but only if there is a "purpose" to it. Plinking around is immensely boring to me. It has to be competitive to grab my interest.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:18 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wish we has silhouette in my area. Have to travel about 100 miles each way and on limited days.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:24 PM
BadgerJack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Dont make it too ‘fancy’, folks should be able to come in with sporting rifles and average shooting abilities and not be always totally blown away by the old hands with their match rifles. If that means some different ‘classes’, so be it.
It is supposed to be fun.
gcrank1 is right- the biggest turn off to most shooters is going up against someone with a custom firearm where there is nearly no way to match, or beat, especially the guy with the factory rifle, and/or no competition experience.

Different classes is a good start: factory rifles, iron sights, peep sights, scopes, custom barrels and triggers, they need to shoot in separate matches.

And, yea, pizza or samdwiches afterwards to have time to talk over the shoot is never a bad thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2018, 10:19 AM
jpw062

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like how some ASSumed I'd never shot competitively and then cited this assumption to dismiss my comment.

Quote:
What formal smallbore competition (or centerfire) allows the use of a sling in an offhand or unsupported stance or position?
Most 3 or 4 position competitions.
Olympic, CMP, I NRA small bore, etc. I think silhouette is actually the odd one out, not the other way around.

Quote:
if focus on marksmanship skills with minimal equipment and precision rather than speed and appeals to you
M1 Rifle Sling $16.90
I can't imagine anyone being able to afford even rimfire competition being prohibited by that price. I can't come up with a real world practical situation where a sling is too cumbersome for me to carry. That meets my standard of minimal.

You can dismiss my comments if you like, but if you read some of the posts that followed from people who have competitions that are successful you might notice a few mention bi-pods and benches. When in the real world is one's best option shooting off hand unsupported without a sling? Never. A hasty sling is always going to be better. New shooters are showing up to those competitions with rifle they use or built for other purposes and gaining experience which crosses into the other field of shooting.

So, to me, silhouette following the rules is no different than any other game. Pinball, World of Warcraft, horse shoes, or bowling. I've spent a few afternoons playing them. If a buddy called me up wanting to go play on this lazy Sunday afternoon I'd be happy to go. I'm not pouring time and money into it or joining an organization.

Of course, all of my comments above pertain to rifle, which is where I perceived this conversation being centered. Pistols is totally different. I have limited exposure to IHMSA through the T/C Encore community, but it certainly seems like those fellows are in an arms race with very expensive specialized equipment.

I have tried the free pizza and drinks bit at various meeting to try and improve attendance. My observation has been that the time spent eating can help build a sense of community and inclusiveness, but if that isn't happening free pizza and soda isn't enough to bring anyone out to the events. If you are going to do food and drinks someone has to ACTIVELY make sure the new people are invited to sit with a group and engaged in conversation. Be certain that something doesn't happen like you have 12 regulars and a new person at a place with 4 tops and the new person ends up at a table by themselves, even if adjacent. It needs to be someones JOB to make sure that doesn't happen.

I have shot in leagues for sporting clays, trap, 5 stand, rimfire pistol, rimfire rifle, centerfire rifle, some of those in multiple leagues and locations. The vast majority of the time I was a new person, people were not welcoming and many met the stereotype of a grizzled old codger. Have to put in some time before anyone seems interested in giving you the time of day. Much different than the woodworking groups I am in even though those are also mostly male retirees.

The CMP club I participated in was successful primarily due to one person who was certain to greet everyone when they arrived, find out what their experience in shooting was and set them up with what they needed to participate. If necessary, skipping relays to lay next to a new shooter with a spotting scope and coaching the new shooter with plenty of positive encouragement. If there were multiple new shooters he would pull another experienced person off the line and have them do the same. Partly for safety, but also to make sure the person felt welcomed and had a good chance of making some sort of improvement. I now live three hours away from that club, haven't been in five years, only rifle I own that meets any CMP rules is a Swiss K31 but, I am still on the mailing list and if I am lucky enough to be in the neighborhood for work I'd certainly try to make it over for a relay even if I have to borrow one of the clubs carbines to shoot.

Break out an "NDR" (No D Rules) classification and make certain it is someones assigned job to make sure new people are made to feel welcome and helped the whole way through.

Last edited by jpw062; 06-24-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:51 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
...all of my comments above pertain to rifle, which is where I perceived this conversation being centered. Pistols is totally different. I have limited exposure to IHMSA through the T/C Encore community, but it certainly seems like those fellows are in an arms race with very expensive specialized equipment....
I'd agree that "Silhouettes" usually means rifles but "Pistol Silhouettes" does not necessarily mean IHMSA. The NRA Smallbore Pistol Silhouette Rules mirror the rifle rules. At our range the ONLY difference between rifle and pistol matches is the size of the targets and a slight difference in the time allowed. The typical pistol we see is a Ruger MKII, III or IV with a scope or dot. Mine is a MKIII with an 8" Tactical Solutions barrel (bought used) and iron sights. FWIW, I much prefer the pistol matches.

Quote:
...The vast majority of the time I was a new person, people were not welcoming and many met the stereotype of a grizzled old codger...
I'd guess I'm 3 times your age. I and other grizzled old codgers go out of our way to make new people welcome but we're too old to waste our time on the one out of ten who are, well, a waste of time. This thread itself has taken some of that precious time as an effort on my part to get more people who might be just like you to share this treasure we think we have.

Quote:
...make certain it is someones assigned job to make sure new people are made to feel welcome and helped the whole way through....
Anyone who shows up for a match without having done some homework will be disappointed and will detract from the match for everyone. I've spent a lot of range time helping people (many of whom were strangers) with the reality of shooting at 4 different distances so they'd be ready for a match. Anyone who will be in northern Florida and wants to try it out, or come to a match, can contact me. No pizza but you will be welcome.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:22 PM
Pat McCoy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Quote:
What formal smallbore competition (or centerfire) allows the use of a sling in an offhand or unsupported stance or position?

Most 3 or 4 position competitions.
Olympic, CMP, I NRA small bore, etc. I think silhouette is actually the odd one out, not the other way around.
Sorry, but Olympic and NRA (smallbore or highpower) do not allow slings in the Offhand position, nor does CMP 3P air for either precision or sporter rifles. I'm not familiar with the new CMP rules for smallbore "sporter rifle", but it MAY allow a sling in Offhand.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:55 PM
jpw062

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your right. Not sure what I was thinking.

Quote:
I and other grizzled old codgers go out of our way to make new people welcome but we're too old to waste our time on the one out of ten who are, well, a waste of time. This thread itself has taken some of that precious time as an effort on my part to get more people who might be just like you to share this treasure we think we have.
I won't waste any more of your time.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:26 PM
IHMSA80x80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Of course, all of my comments above pertain to rifle, which is where I perceived this conversation being centered. Pistols is totally different. I have limited exposure to IHMSA through the T/C Encore community, but it certainly seems like those fellows are in an arms race with very expensive specialized equipment.
Au contraire. I'm one of those fellows and I can assure you there is no arms race in IHMSA. They have basically the same rules as NRA silhouette and matching categories...been that way since day one in 1977. Sure, there are some differences, but you can compete in either one with the same guns.

Yes, there are some very expensive guns, but they are generally seen only with the top shooters in the higher classifications. We have different classes for anyone with any ability. You only compete with those that have the same skill level as you do. You may be on line next to one of the top shooters with an expensive gun, but you are not competing with him.

Grab your Ruger MK III and go shoot silhouettes.

≡✪≡
Old 07-18-2018, 10:11 PM
Watsky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Last Week I went to the range to fire some centerfire pistol.
Its a new range for me and when I pulled up I saw a sign that announced a match that day , a silhouette match.
The RSO wasn't on the pistol range yet so I wandered down to the rifle range to have a look.
There were a few guys my age (really really late middle age) and a mixed group of folks , teens , moms , dads.
Every one seemed to be shooting CZ's , some folks had after market stocks , some folks were shooting factory stock rifles . Mostly CZ's though with good scopes.
I liked what I saw and decided to collect some gear and start practicing the stance , so by the next match I plan on being ready to have some fun with the other shooters.
I do some fun league shooting at 25 yards with pistol and shoot Bullseye style although it would be legal for me to shoot with a two hand grip. I choose to use the one hand grip because its harder. I also like shooting my .380 at 25 yards, because its difficult.
I will find shooting rifle with out a sling pretty tough cause I learned with a sling as a kid, but for me thats just another challenge and I'm more than happy to try and fail and try again till I succeed . If its not hard its not worth doing .
So I'm diving into silhouette because I like a challenge.

Last edited by Watsky; 07-19-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:38 AM
CardPuncher

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsky View Post
...I..shoot Bullseye style although it would be legal for me to shoot with a two hand grip. I choose to use the one hand grip because its harder. I also like shooting my .380 at 25 yards, because its difficult..
Quote:
...I will find shooting rifle with out a sling pretty tough cause I learned with a sling as a kid, but for me thats just another challenge and I'm more than happy to try and fail and try again till I succeed . If its not hard its not worth doing...
Quote:
...by the next match I plan on being ready to have some fun with the other shooters....So I'm diving into silhouette because I like a challenge...
I re-arranged your post a bit to make it even more clear how resoundingly you passed the psychological profile requirements. Go for it!!!

And remember, even if you only hit one ram, that's one more than anyone who has never done it.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:36 AM
PAndy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
We have started up competition shooting again, mostly lever action silhouette and some other local rimfire shoots. It is great to live in an area with some shooting events. Anyway, feeling welcomed the first time we visit a match or club is a big deal. The people running the match often have a hard time doing this too much, since they have a lot of work to do match day. Even if fellow shooters say 'good morning' to a new guy, I think it makes a difference.

I give these match directors and clubs a lot of credit for doing the work and hosting events. Makes it possible for folks to try shooting, or to start up again. Nobody can try silhouette shooting if there are no events.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:29 PM
Number10GI
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Back in the mid and late 90's a co-worker invited me to shoot silhouette with him and a few other guys at a farm where they had built a very well thought out and executed combination silhouette and benchrest range. We shot silhouette for a couple years and then the majority of the shooters wanted to try rimfire benchrest. Silhouette was sidelined and we shot benchrest for about 8 or so years until the cost of quality ammo got beyond ridiculous. We then went back to silhouette and shot it for about 5-6 years and had as many as 12-16 shooters. Then some drifted away and too many have died and now we are down to 3-4 people and only shoot occasionally. Now I have to drive 150 miles one way to shoot NRA matches but I don't mind it because I really enjoy the competition. As stated in an earlier post, shooting cans and other things get boring after a while. Competition is good as it is incentive to improve yourself and see how you stack up to other shooters. I love shooting at the silhouettes and hear the clang and watch the silhouette fall over. Only problem is that the clang and silhouette falling don't happen as much as I want. Practice, practice and some more practice.

I disagree that a full blown custom gun is what you need to be able to compete. I started out using a cheap Marlin bolt gun, then bought a P94 Sako Finnfire and now have an Anschutz 1712 and I don't shoot any better with the Anschutz than I did with the Marlin but the Anschutz is definitely more accurate. Maybe once you get into Master class a custom job might help but a competent shooter can go a long way with a lesser rifle. A CZ 452 or 455 will take you a long way up the class ladder.

I also shoot a Marlin 39A in lever gun class and really enjoy shooting it. The lever gun has that nostalgia factor and it is easier to hit the 1/2 scale targets than the 1/5th scale but it isn't a cake walk, you still have to work at it and clearing all the silhouettes, which I haven't done yet.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:31 PM
agksimon
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We set up a silhouette league, using rimfire pistols only, open sights or red dots and most of us are retirees (I'm 73). We only have 50 yards, so we use that part for the turkeys and the pigs and 25 yards for the chickens (30 shots total). Some guys don't do well at the start and drop out. I'm a reasonably good shot and started out by averaging 18 hits. I'm a competitive person and after a month, I'm averaging 24. I'm trying for a perfect 30, but that's just me. I can't understand people that just give up, without trying.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:04 AM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
I can't understand people that just give up, without trying.
Me either. I'm more likely to "give up" if it is too easy.

If I were ever to shoot a perfect score at every match (not likely!) I'd find another sport that posed more of a challenge. The whole idea is to challenge yourself as a way to nudge yourself towards improving.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:10 AM
Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerJack View Post
.... - the biggest turn off to most shooters is going up against someone with a custom firearm where there is nearly no way to match, or beat, especially the guy with the factory rifle, and/or no competition experience. ....
That's a pretty lame excuse. Trade rifles with that guy who owns a custom rifle and places in the top two or three every time, and the scores will be the same. It isn't the rifle, it's the time and effort that he has put into refining his skills. .... Or hers (look up Cathy Winstead-Severin).