Why shoot silhouettes? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:18 PM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

The real problem is, as jpw062 said: "I can't imagine".

Achieving any goal starts with believing you can improve enough to reach that goal. It is what keeps competitive shooters coming back (also true of golfers, bowlers, and other individual sports).

It seems that the old "try, try again" adage from my youth (true, a long time ago), is no longer acceptable today. Now it seems everyone want to start out at the top of the game, but that doesn't happen, even video game players have to go through many levels to get to the top of the games.

One solution is to let new entrants know that it (any game) is going to be a long road of advances and setbacks, with the biggest reward being the knowing that you can, and have, accomplished something you were not sure you could.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:02 AM
cowboy4
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
It is a challenge. It's hard. But one can get better at it with practice. That is what got me into silhouette shooting.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw062;
....but might as well shoot a rifle without sights if you arenít going to use a sling.
Without sights? Iíd love to hear how that works out.
What formal smallbore competition (or centerfire) allows the use of a sling in an offhand or unsupported stance or position?
Old 06-18-2018, 10:48 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Silhouette shooting definitely doesn't appeal to everyone. Shooters who enjoy 30-round mag dumps at human-sized silhouettes 50m away while running through a course where the difference between winning and losing is measured in tenths of a second are probably not going to enjoy silhouette shooting.

On the other hand, if focus on marksmanship skills with minimal equipment and precision rather than speed and appeals to you, silhouette may be just the sport for you. Personally, there is no doubt in my mind that silhouette shooting has improved almost every aspect of my shooting and certainly improved my ability to take lethal shots while hunting.

Not really an answer to the OP's question about how to entice shooters to a match but I thought it might be useful to share some thoughts along the lines of pros and cons. Please add to the list, especially cons if you can think of any.

Pros:
  • Low equipment cost. It's not an arms race. Most rimfire shooters already have a rifle that will qualify. I've seen CZ452 Scouts, Savage Mk-II and Ruger 10-22s on the line. Even saw a Ruger 10-22 at a state championship match. Once saw a CZ 452 Lux with aperture sights rather than a scope. Absolutely no need to "gear up" to be competitive.
  • Time. Depending on the size of the facility and the number of targets available you can run a 60-target match in as little as an hour. Our range (which I take to be typical) can accommodate up to 12 shooters in one relay for a 60-target match. Make it a 40-target match and we can squeeze 16 shooters in one relay.
  • Cross training. Time spent shooting offhand and unsupported ... making an effort to do it well... will improve your shooting in general. Sling? If you can shoot well without one, imagine how well you can do with one! The experience gained in offhand shooting transfers to and will make you better at just about everything else (exception noted below).

Cons:
  • Addictive. The drive to improve one's self can get you addicted. You'll be buying swingers and setting up a practice range at home. You'll be dry-firing at door knobs on the other end of the hallway. You'll look forward to the next monthly match as a chance to better your previous score. You'll buy decals of the silhouette targets and put them on the rear window of your vehicle or on the butt stock of your rifle.
  • Negatively affects your shotgun shooting. Best way to ruin your skeet, trap, or sporting clays score is to shoot a silhouette match the day before. There is something about holding steady on a turkey at 77m that just doesn't go well with swinging on a fast moving crossing clay.
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 10:59 AM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Great post Sophia, I was waiting for the con, and you nailed it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2018, 11:06 AM
jharold
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUGL4X'SC View Post
Okay, I am sorry, it is just sad that shooting has lost its taste for tough compitition

there are NRA matches for you!
Old 06-18-2018, 11:13 AM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharold View Post
there are NRA matches for you!
I shoot them, silhouette is one of them.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:34 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Right on, Sylvia.

Pro:
  • If you think Marksmanship is more about the marksman (or woman) than the gun, this is as good as it gets. No matter who you are, you can start easily and go as far as you want.
Cons:
  • For the shooter: recurring frustration when you know you can do better.
  • There don't seem to be many ranges offering regular matches.
  • Setting up for a match means taking targets downrange and they need to be reset after every 10 rounds. Mechanically-resetting targets are expensive and don't give the good feedback about your shots that free-standing targets do. Those targets need someone to pick them up and put them in place every time.
  • Setting up a range requires thought (yards vs. meters, rifle or pistol only or dual-purpose, how many can shoot at one time, etc.) and expense (targets, target supports, shooter positions).
  • Deciding exactly what you want to offer (as in this thread) and "marketing" it can be a challenge.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:55 AM
PAndy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Local clubs here have multiple target sizes and multiple gun categories/classes . Some have a "club rifle" class so people can shoot any gun. Half size targets are popular.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:38 PM
HKSnob
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Our club has two versions with totally different types of shooters and a little overlap.
One is the classic NRA .22LR Smallbore Sillhouette with 1/5 scale targets on Monday evenings. We use racks that let the shooters pull a string to reset after every 5-shots. Very simple and effective. Turnout is about 20-regulars in a 10-week league. Atmosphere is like a professional golf tournament.
The other, on Sundays, uses 3/8 scale, free-standing targets at 25, 50, 75, and 100 YARDS for .22LR. Shooters may shoot the classic method WITH a sling, or Prairie Dog style... from a bench against the clock. Fastest time is 20-hits in 17-seconds.
We also offer the same in centerfire onto 1/2 scale targets at 50, 100, 150, and 235- yards. This series has people waiting up to two-hours for their turn, running four shooters at a time (2-rim, 2-center.) $5 for two runs.
It’s (barely) organized pandemonium, bringing in a bucket-load of revenue.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:49 PM
ProfessorSparky
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A range about 4 miles from my house holds a monthly silhouette match, loosely based on the NRA guidelines. We shoot 50 yards standing off hand and from the prone position with bipod (or from the bench if you are too creaky to get down to/up from the ground) at 100, 150 and 200 yards. IT IS TONS OF FUN! That's what got me into shooting small bore silhouette. It is so satisfying to knock down the targets. If you were shooting centerfire, you would have to stop often to allow your barrel to cool. Not so with 22LR. When I practice, I can make a 50 rnd. box last an hour. Even the Lapua Center-X makes $12 worth of ammo last for an hour if you are working on your skills seriously with a bolt action. $12 worth of 5.56 only lasts about 3 minutes and the same $ of .308 a little longer since you have to let it cool. Your skills in all your other rifle shooting increase significantly shooting 22LR long range silhouette, including the ability sight in your scope for different distances. It's a hoot!

Cons: We are short on younger shooters who are able to do the setup and take down work. So the geezers and I get a work out.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:50 AM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Why silhouette ?

[QUOTE=STRUGL4X'SC;11066561]Very true, and a person can't buy a better score, no matter how fancy your equipment, it is still up to the shooter to get the score.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I started shooting silhouette to hone my handgun hunting skills. In Phil Johnston's book "Successful Handgun Hunting" he suggests just that. A 9 1/2" Ruger Single Six for rimfire and a 14"TC in 7x30 Waters for Big Bore is what I started with. Silhouette teaches you how to break an accurate shot. The fellow silhouette shooters are just an added bonus!
Old 06-22-2018, 10:04 AM
sandkicker
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Handicap leagues

Many years ago, I got into an indoor pistol Tuesday night handicap league. Rules were few:

1) First three weeks, everyone shot to establish your "handicap". This was important as shooters ranged from total noobs to a former Marine Expeditionary Forces Sniper, with a bunch of active duty LEOs thown in.

2) You could shoot any non magnum rim or CF pistol you wanted, during the handicap phase, but whatever you brought the 4th week , you shot for the next 10 weeks.

3) no handloads, range provided ammo only ( not an issue for rimfire league), however, there should likely be some controls over what ammo is used during handicap determination phase and regular given different weapons appetite for ammo. Would suggest any ammo during first week (warmup?) and same ammo for rest of time. First week scoring does not count towards handicap calculations.

4) trophies and an awards "banquet" at a local favorite diner

Good turnout and good reups the following years until the range owner ( was held/sponsored @ a public commercial range) had heath problems.

While we shot a standard NRA bullseye course, I think that some of the suggestions posted about "creative" targets, above, are quite good.

Last edited by sandkicker; 06-22-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:44 AM
ksfrank

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
I'm trying to come up with something to put in our club newsletter and website to get more people to come out for our Smallbore Rifle and Pistol Silhouette matches. We're not getting many shooters to try it and few come back.

Any suggestions? What got you into shooting Silhouettes?
My club started a Rimfire Benchrest Sillhouette match using the 5th scale targets. This created quite a bit of interest and participation. They also have a normal standing match with 5th scale targets, but there is an option to shoot half scale targets as well. This gives new shooters a chance to try it out a larger target.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:01 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrank View Post
My club started a Rimfire Benchrest Sillhouette match using the 5th scale targets. This created quite a bit of interest and participation. They also have a normal standing match with 5th scale targets, but there is an option to shoot half scale targets as well. This gives new shooters a chance to try it out a larger target.

Welcome to RFC!!!

And thank you for the information.
Have you had many new shooters and are they usually using the larger targets? Have you done this long enough to know how long it takes them to graduate to the smaller targets in the standing match, if they ever do?
Old 06-22-2018, 11:53 AM
HKSnob
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Same Cons

Cons: We are short on younger shooters who are able to do the setup and take down work. So the geezers and I get a work out.[/QUOTE]

Our "Prairie Dog" style has the same problem. I often suggested that resetting at least one set of targets for every relay shot should be a requirement, but the guy running it didn't like that. Turnout is so huge that people not signing-up to shoot because of the added wait of having only a few re-setters isn't an issue.

The resetting racks for the 1/5-scale, however work brilliantly. These guys are more interested in precision and hits; less in seeing the targets sailing off of the base.

As for the shooters "graduating" from the speed match using 1/2 or 3/8-scale to the precision using 1/5-scale, there's little to none. The Sunday people are there to relax and have fun; "here's my money, tell me when it's my turn". Some put more effort into it, but the type is totally different. We get more carryover FROM the precision TO the larger-target, speed match.

Both are a hoot, just different types of shooters.