Why shoot silhouettes? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:07 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUGL4X'SC View Post
Okay, I am sorry, it is just sad that shooting has lost its taste for tough compitition

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
STRUGL, it aint the shooting, it's the shooters. With only maybe 2-3 exceptions, our shooters are all over 70 and a couple are 90. We don't have anything to prove anymore, not a type A personality left in the bunch. . Probably 60% of our shooters had never been to an organized shoot before of any kind, many had never even been to a range before. Our activity works great for a bunch of geezers and geezerettes who just want to have fun and share some time with others who think the same way politically.

We DO host a regular monthly NRA .22 Lever Action, Pistol Caliber Lever Action and Lever Action for .30-30 class rifles. It draws 7-10 shooters.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:22 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Yeah, geezer, I resemble that!
Old 06-17-2018, 02:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
There are some good suggestions here and I appreciate the replies. Nobody has answered the other question: "What got YOU into shooting Silhouettes?". I'm not even sure I can answer it for myself, although in 2010 when I started, it was the only game in town that was about rimfire marksmanship. It still is.

What keeps me in it is the knowledge that no matter how good someone else thinks they are with a .22, if they haven't shot Silhouettes I'm probably better. I know I can hit something the size of a large cat at 100 yards with an iron-sights Ruger MKIII pistol about half the time and it feels good every time I do it. There are also times when it seems like nothing is working right. This isn't an easy sport and it requires some effort and tolerance for frustration.

What I'm hearing is that the answer to our attendance problem at Silhouette matches is to not have Silhouette matches. Something to think about.

Last edited by CardPuncher; 06-17-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2018, 03:35 PM
snipes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So I have some random thoughts as someone who is midway into my second full season of silhouette. We struggled the first season with attendance. This year attendance is up with a large mix of non-members attending and many of them are very experienced.

I see you are in FL, are your shooting stations protected from the sun?
How much setup / tear down takes place before and after the event?
Shooting two matches can make for a fairly demanding day and the above two items can greatly impact one's enjoyment and desire to come back out.

I think keeping the classifications is very important. Shooting a 7 or 10 doesn't feel so bad if you are competing for prizes against other B Class competitors. It wouldn't feel quite as much fun to look on the board and see a bunch of high teens and twenty something scores constantly beating you out.

You can be lax on some of the finer points of the rules and have somewhat of a run what you brung attitude, but differentiating the competitors who's rifle actually "qualifies" for hunter class etc. as the only ones who can qualify to win adds a bit to it in my book.

Encourage the youth element. Do something like children shoot free with an adult.
Perhaps have the kids shoot at the larger target to help with encouragement, maybe the can score higher than the old man.

How efficiently are the matches being run? Is there too little / too much time between matches / warm up / relays etc. Our two matches can stretch from 8:30 to 2pm or so. If we could figure out how to shave an hour or two off of that I know I'd appreciate that.

How about getting getting local merchants to donate prizes?

In the end, get them out there with the promise of a good time. Keep them coming back by doing what you can to make sure they have an enjoyable time. The frustration with the low scores can be secondary if put in the right context. "Yeah I scored a 7, but third place got an 11. I can make up 4 points before next month."
Old 06-17-2018, 03:45 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
There are some good suggestions here and I appreciate the replies. Nobody has answered the other question: "What got YOU into shooting Silhouettes?". I'm not even sure I can answer it for myself, although in 2010 when I started, it was the only game in town that was about rimfire marksmanship. It still is.

What keeps me in it is the knowledge that no matter how good someone else thinks they are with a .22, it they haven't shot Silhouettes I'm probably better. I know I can hit something the size of a large cat at 100 yards with an iron-sights Ruger MKIII pistol about half the time and it feels good every time I do it. There are also times when it seems like nothing is working right. This isn't an easy sport and it requires some effort and tolerance for frustration.

What I'm hearing is that the answer to our attendance problem at Silhouette matches is to not have Silhouette matches. Something to think about.
Well said Card,I can try to explain how I got into it on this father's day : My dad was not at all interested in shooting, and was not very good at helping me with it just because I like it. He did kick in the last few dollars on a brand new Sheridan Blue Streak that I had saved for a long time. I shot that rifle a lot, I even remember shooting all 500 pellets in one weekend! I was exposed to no competitive shooting sports other than reading about it. Then in Boy Scouts they had rimfire 25ft paper target at summer camp. It cost two cents per round, and I shot until I was completely out of money, shot my phone money and ice cream money all gone, would have washed dishes to keep shooting. I moved over to archery because it was free, and as close as I could get. I shot arrows until my fingers could no longer do it. I had little chance to get into a shooting program through high school or trade school but when I was done with all that a customer talked to me as a member of the local gun club, said that they shot high power sporting rifle matches, about four times a summer, I joined them and kept my mouth shut and soaked up everything I could. I very slowly got better, taking maybe ten years to get up to where every once in a while I could beat my mentoring shooters who I kept on a pedistol. I traveled to other nearby clubs and shot in any match I had a legal rifle for. Everywhere I went the shooters were welcoming and gave genuine help as I struggled to get comfortable with the way things ran. I could go on and on, but the fact is that if love to shoot, can follow the safety rules and put the time in; a person can make it happen, even with no formal training.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:57 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Another thought is that the offhand match on this site for me was a way for me to keep the cobwebs away; but it would be a great way to get into silhouette with no pressure, and at a pace adaptable to anyone.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipes View Post
...I see you are in FL, are your shooting stations protected from the sun?...How much setup / tear down takes place before and after the event?...How efficiently are the matches being run? Is there too little / too much time between matches / warm up / relays etc. Our two matches can stretch from 8:30 to 2pm or so. If we could figure out how to shave an hour or two off of that I know I'd appreciate that....
Well-protected from rain and sun. We usually shoot 2 rifle matches starting at 9 and 2 pistol matches starting at 11 i.e. one hour each. 8 can shoot at one time. If there are more, depending on how many more and who they are, we cut some corners on the stopwatch and resetting targets but sometimes skip the second match. One person can set up or take down in about 1/2 hour but it goes a lot better with some help. It's efficient but there isn't much warmup time. PM me if you want details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipes View Post
...In the end, get them out there with the promise of a good time. Keep them coming back by doing what you can to make sure they have an enjoyable time. The frustration with the low scores can be secondary if put in the right context. "Yeah I scored a 7, but third place got an 11. I can make up 4 points before next month."
For some people a good time is companionship, for others it's food and for some (I'm one of them) it's knocking small targets off the rail. We might look for a different balance than we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUGL4X'SC View Post
Another thought is that the offhand match on this site for me was a way for me to keep the cobwebs away; but it would be a great way to get into silhouette with no pressure, and at a pace adaptable to anyone....
That's an interesting suggestion although we're dealing with a demographic many members of which barely know where to find the Internet.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Miamigal
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
well

I have yet to open but did ask for Father's Day and know they are downstairs, my set of 1/5th scale swingers. We start every season without practice and we all need practice. So, I've taken this year off to practice. Shooting well is hard and takes practice in all disciplines.

Last edited by Miamigal; 06-17-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:50 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamigal View Post
I have yet to open but did ask for Father's Day and know they are downstairs, my set of 1/5th scale swingers. We start every season without practice and we all need practice. So, I've taken this year off to practice. Shooting well is hard and takes practice.
Yes, it takes practice, but I think taking a year off of the local matches is detrimental to you, your club, your fellow shooters, and so on. May I suggest practice with goals set by you alone, and shooting local matches with different goals set by you alone.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:25 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
There are some good suggestions here and I appreciate the replies. Nobody has answered the other question: "What got YOU into shooting Silhouettes?"
It is a challenge. It's hard. But one can get better at it with practice. That is what got me into silhouette shooting.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:30 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
It is a challenge. It's hard. But one can get better at it with practice. That is what got me into silhouette shooting.
Very true, and a person can't buy a better score, no matter how fancy your equipment, it is still up to the shooter to get the score.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:34 PM
Nosnil22
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
What got YOU into shooting Silhouettes?
I love it because it's tough. I love to go to the range and practice.
I love the pressure that comes with beating your personal best score.
I also love shooting with my buddies and trying to beat them on match day!
Old 06-17-2018, 08:48 PM
Miamigal
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
yup

First-It's really fun like a shooting gallery. It sure is hard for me and I now do have new swinger targets to practice with-yippee.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:36 PM
IHMSA80x80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What got me into silhouette shooting was a "Shooting Times" article in July 1984 about handgun silhouette competition. Never heard of the game before then, but it sounded a lot like plinking...I always enjoyed shooting tin cans, fruit, dirt clods, anything that reacted to being hit. Figured this could be a game I would enjoy, knocking over those steel animals.

There was a range 4 miles away from me in Indianapolis that shot rimfire handgun only and I shot my first match in 1985. Using my Ruger MKII Target pistol, the only rimfire I had, I shot a sterling 3x40 and knew I could do better. I re-entered and shot a 5x40 and I was immediately hooked. It was fun, and challenging and a lot harder than I thought. The next year I also got into centerfire handgun and rimfire rifle silhouette.

The challenge is always there, and you are only competing against yourself, trying to better your previous scores. I still enjoy it as much today as back then. Today's youth aren't interested in long-range accuracy...they only want to see how many rounds they can shoot in 1.5 seconds at targets 10 feet away and as large as a barn door. It's the video-game culture they grew up with.

≡✪≡
Old 06-17-2018, 10:50 PM
jpw062

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I' decades younger than most in this thread.
I don't have enough time to spend the little money I have for shooting.
It looks like this might be fun once or twice, but I can't imagine putting much time into an event that has me shooting unsupported WITHOUT A SLING.

I'm an oddball, especially for my age, but might as well shoot a rifle without sights if you aren't going to use a sling.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk