Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:06 PM
ShakeyHand

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rimfire Steel Challenge

Anyone shooting rimfire steel challenge? I'm shooting in a rimfire steel challenge series held at The Willow Hole Cowboy Shooters range in the Brazos Valley of Central Texas. I'm a newbie with 4 matches under my belt now. I had been shooting in pistol optics but just shot my first rifle optics match. My rifle stopped loading half-way through the match and I had to take a DNF for the rifle optics. After the match, I did a little investigating and my action screw had come loose. Lesson learned and I will now pack a wrench to fit the action screw and make sure it is torqued properly before each match.

Would love to read about others experiences in these matches.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:02 AM
dano440
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Rimfire Steel Challenge

I have been for the last two years shooting a local club steel challenge Tuesday matches in the rimfire pistol and rifle division. and been having a great time. this year there in the spring a lot of them were shooting centerfire but as the year goes on about everyone had gravitated to rimfire. the match is pretty much dominated by Ruger Mark pistols and a few S&W victory 22's. our group is made up of ages 21 to 70 good bunch of people to shoot with. the strangest thing that happen not getting the magazine not fully seated and on the third target the magazine fell out.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:51 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I started shooting Steel Challenge matches 30 years ago and still manage to compete. I've been shooting revolver for most of the time. Two years ago I decided to try a .22 and am now shooting with either my S&W 617 revolver or my Ruger Mark IV. Both have Optics on them. (C-More)

I'm now 66 years old and in a wheelchair but I still go out as often as I can. Great bunch of people and I've found people that are willing to push me around on the range so I can compete.

I was shooting CCI Mini Mags for my competition rounds but now shoot Eley. I shoot Blazer for practice because it's accurate and cheap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2018, 03:19 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ShakeyHand...............is that you Mark?

Jerry
Old 10-15-2018, 11:58 AM
elkkiller
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been trying to shoot at the local matches they have about 4 a year, I'm shooting a markIII pistol and a 10/22 rifle both with red dot sights.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:10 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried a Mark III and a Rem 66 once on a match as described above.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:21 AM
MajorD
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Steel challenge has become one of my favorite types of shooting. I use a S&W 15/22 for rifle with a cheap browning red dot for rifle, and for pistol mix it up using everything from a S&W 422, old colt challenger, beretta jaguar and even a S&W 34 snub.
Even with my odd ball pistols I finish pretty well. As the accuracy requirements are minimal I am not too fussy about ammo, pretty much anything that runs a gun reliably will do. I am also not a tinkerer so run guns stock.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:43 AM
Earplug80911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Colorado Springs Steel shooter

We have several matches in our area. Lots of fun. I have shot revolver, Centerfire irons and now mostly rimfire.
Our shooters use a mix of tricked out Rugers and Buckmarks for RF Pistol. Lots of 10-22's for rifle RF. C-more is the favorite red dot.
I bought a Buckmark after fighting with various nice target guns that wouldn't run on bulk ammo when the great ammo shortage hit us. The Buckmark has proven to be a reliable easy to live with pistol. Being light, it moves faster.
I shoot rifles left handed and recently bought a Browning SA-22 for shooting steel. Fun gun and has been dead reliable and no magazines to haul around and drop in the dirt. I have upgraded the sights to a Ghost ring like set.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:40 AM
Viper225
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just started shooting Steel Challenge. I am shooting a S&W 617 and my GP100 with 38 Special ammo. Both with iron sights.

We will hold our second match on 13 April 2019 at the Big Piney Sportsman's Club near Houston Missouri. We have been working hard to get everything right to start with. We finished a new Bay today so that we can shoot all Eight Stages. We have 2' X 4' Tables beside every Shooting Start Box for Rimfire Gear. We have 8 Bulletin Boards with Stage Descriptions and a Drawing of the target layout. One at each Stage. Tablets for scoring. We decided to do Steel Challenge the first of the year. We have since jumped in with both feet, planning on making this event a big success.

I am planning on shooting the Steel Challenge Stages as our ICORE Revolver Match at least most of the time on the Sunday following the main Match on Saturday.

I am seriously considering a switch from my Six Shot 617 to a 10 shot GP100. With only six shots, you have to slow down and not miss more than one target per run. Doing a rimfire reload shooting against 10 shot Semi Autos is not the path to success at this game.

I am having a great time, I hope to see some of you at the range.

I will put together a more detailed post on the range work we have done.

Bob R

Last edited by Viper225; 03-30-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:20 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wish I lived closer!!