Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:37 PM
FFournier
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
22 Plinkster tried to be positive about the Summit.

But it was easy to see he was disappointed in its performance. There was no hiding the poor groups it produced despite the Federal Ultramatch, which I have found to be excellent ammo, he was using. For the price the performance was very poor I feel.

https://youtu.be/3k1Rx0aHVOE

Last edited by FFournier; 05-09-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:08 PM
wolfshoon
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
He seemed pretty pleased with his .277" group with a bipod off a plastic field bench table. Never saw a 1 piece rest, just the bipod and rear bag.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:00 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unfortunately all the free stuff he gets from companies come with strings attached.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2018, 12:12 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Did you see what barrel he was shooting in it? Wasn't exactly a match grade steel target barrel. The heart of the Summit is just the funky receiver. Put any barrel in it you want to. His setup wasn't exactly a 1 holer at 50 type. If you wanted that type of action, the Summit to me looks like a way to get a Browning T-Bolt type action and be able to customize it shoot incredible.

That being said, no way I would pay VQ prices for a Summit and put any type of lightweight sleeved barrel on it. Money wasted unless I just wanted a lightweight rig with a weird bolt that shot just ok. When I first saw the gun in the video, I was kind of wondering what the purpose of that barrel on it was all about. He's also big on the VQ Trigger as well, which from all I've ever read on here is kind of a way to pay more money for something not as good as the Kidd single stage. Thus, that one is totally out for me, despite the neat looking VQ trigger guard around it.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:27 AM
Drumie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I haven't watched the video yet, i will soon. I do have 2 of the PWS summit actions. One is built with a VQ HM2 barrel and one with a VQ carbon barrel. Both are very accurate. The HM2 is stupid accurate. It will easily out shoot my Sako Quad with the HM2 barrel. I love the fast action of the summit. It works very well.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:48 PM
Sure_Shot

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
I have owned many Volquartsen parts and a few rifles. My only hangup with purchasing a summit is it's aluminum. For close to $500 it should be steel. The price is not that competitive with bolt actions. I prefer the weight balance of steel, not to mention it will last a lifetime. I suppose the high quality aluminum they use would hold up nearly as well. However, all the VQ rifles I own/owned are/were stainless.

I can buy a CZ 455 Varmint for the price of a summit. I'm not knocking it, but I cant justify it. .

Sure Shot
Old 06-07-2019, 02:48 AM
Treefeller22
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’m not happy with mine. Can’t get better than 1”@50 and I’ve tried over 10 different loads of ammo. On my second one as the first was replaced under warranty within a month. Another guy I shoot with also brought one. It wouldn’t shoot, had it replaced under warranty and upgraded to the stainless barrel. Also couldn’t get it to shoot better than .9moa....... one group. And because one group came in just under Moa....... no warranty! This is sold as a match rifle, “ Tack driver” ......... my 4ss! Worse part is, try talk to Scott Volquartsen and you get........crickets........ nothing. Certainly puts a bad taste in your mouth wasting money on them.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:29 AM
ky-chessie

TPC Rating: 
93% (36)
I have summits in both .17m2 and .22lr. They are both easily as accurate as any I have owned and that includes my Annie’s and a Cooper. They both have the tension barrels. I have owned a lot of VQ guns both HEAVY stainless and carbon tensioned. Accuracy is equal. Only edge I would give the stainless barrel is the weight makes it easier to steady on a bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2019, 06:21 PM
Treefeller22
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky-chessie View Post
I have summits in both .17m2 and .22lr. They are both easily as accurate as any I have owned and that includes my Annie’s and a Cooper. They both have the tension barrels. I have owned a lot of VQ guns both HEAVY stainless and carbon tensioned. Accuracy is equal. Only edge I would give the stainless barrel is the weight makes it easier to steady on a bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I so wish mine would shoot. Absolutely love the concept and it’s about as close as we can get on Standard licences here in Australia. I find it hard to believe it shoots better than an Anschutz........ my Annie with SK flat (pink box) is a real tack driver.......and I mean 5 rds in to one tight ragged hole @30m.

How do you post pics on here.

Update 15th June

Well it finally looks like she’s starting to shoot. Only tested at 25y but shooting .1-.2 5rd groups with SK red. Maybe the barrels aren’t hand lapped and take around 500rds to run in.
https://imgur.com/a/jSy780m

Last edited by Treefeller22; 06-19-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:46 AM
SlyOneMrGrinch
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We need it in 17 WSM with the aluminum receiver for hunting weight - I have VQ 17 hmr rifles, aluminum and steel, never shoot the steel.

In 17 WSM, the summit would be ideal once VQ has it sorted out. My Ruger 77/17 WSM is too heavy.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This action is made for 17hmr and 17hm2 shooting imho.

Lightweight, fast cycling hunting rounds that need to shoot 1 MOA at 75 yards.

I had a summit (PWS). And it was 22lr but I had to cycle it fast. The PWS barrel was ammo picky too.

I will say the PWS trigger was amazing
Old 06-16-2019, 04:23 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a slick deal. I like the bit about being able to use 10/22 parts throughout.

The accuracy I see there in the video puts it ahead of most 22 bolt actions right out of the gate. Now add the ability to play with different match barrels and match chambers - seems like a winner.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:40 PM
98_1LE

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
My Summit is a low S/N PWS, but it has shot plenty of 1.5" groups @ 100 yards with Gemtech, and only slightly larger with CCI SV. It has shot a couple smaller groups but I consider them lucky and not typical.

Not the best, but not terrible either.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:50 AM
Treefeller22
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank3 View Post
This action is made for 17hmr and 17hm2 shooting imho.

Lightweight, fast cycling hunting rounds that need to shoot 1 MOA at 75 yards.

I had a summit (PWS). And it was 22lr but I had to cycle it fast. The PWS barrel was ammo picky too.

I will say the PWS trigger was amazing
i have to agree about the trigger. I’ve now got both the VQ and PWS. The VQ has creep and Sh1ts me where’s the PWS brakes clean...... very frustrating since the VQ cost me double +

https://imgur.com/a/6yCE34b

Last edited by Treefeller22; 06-19-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:32 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I picked up a very early Summit action at Brownells and used it to build an hm2. After having the problems that were there on the early actions with the bolt linkage breaking, all is working fine now. The bolt face is cut at .043" and if the barrel is shimmed properly the action is super smooth, easy and quiet. My Browning Tbolt after doing a lot of work on it is fairly quiet but still takes a lot of force to work the bolt in comparison to the Summit.

As far as accuracy I have had two barrels on my Summit in hm2, a Volquartsen and a ER Shaw with both barrels the Summit has shot right with my custom Rem 581 and TC R55 rifles. I haven't tried a 22lr barrel yet as I'm not a 10/22 guy and don't have any barrels but plan on getting one. I think the Summit action is really a hunting type action. If looking for target accuracy I believe I would stick with a bolt or single shot of other styles but that's just me.

If you want a nice quiet quick acting hunting rifle the Summit is great. If you buy used and it is a very early gun, ask if it has been up graded with the new bolt linkage. It is made much thicker with different material and works great. If it hasn't been , you will have problems. Volquartsen is a great company and stands behind their products. Scott was super to deal with and as a matter of fact he had one of the first new parts sent out to me as soon as they were made, it hadn't even been color treated yet which I said was ok. They through the entire ordeal (remember this was a new product for them) always offered to Buy the action back and always picked up all shipping costs. They never tried to say I was doing something wrong and admitted that they might have to make some changes.

Let me add that if your action starts to get hard to work and you loose accuracy it's a good chance the linkage has cracked and is starting to bend. The headspace will open up and before it breaks if the headspace is to excessive you stand a chance of blowing out your mag just like the 10/22 hm2 fiasco. This has nothing to do with the hm2 cartridge, it is the headspace. The changes they made eliminates this problem.

Would I buy another, yes but would probably be for a 22 build. It is expensive but I like it.

Just wanted to add that I went with a BX trigger and love it. I am fortunate in being close to Brownells so I went to the store and had them bring 10 triggers to the counter. I went through all of them and picked what I felt was the nicest trigger,I think it ended up being around 2 1/2lbs and cost $50 on sale. I had been thinking about a Kidd, for a hunting rifle I went the right way for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190608_204237.jpg (546.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by grg; 06-19-2019 at 11:41 AM.