Fantastic Match today with a surprise - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:25 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fantastic Match today with a surprise

I had a great match with my Frankenruger today shooting out monthly Steel Challenge Match.

I had a few brain fades, not loading the gun after inserting the magazine and getting caught after the buzzer went off for the first shot, but other than that the gun ran flawlessly.

I cut 20 seconds off my average time. I felt more confident in the gun than ever after having it come back from Volquartsen, and I shot good ammo, Eley Practice, so there were no ammo problems.

One of the Range Officers even asked to look at it and then asked to buy it. No Way!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frankenruger on bench at range.jpg (55.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 04-16-2018, 12:34 AM
hooverjc
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Saw Ya,

I watched you on a couple of the stages and saw that you were shooting well. I was in the group ahead of you. It was a nice day for a shoot in the desert! See you next month.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:10 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. Hope you had a good day. It was a perfect day to be shooting.

Next month I'm going to be prepared for the heat with some Chilly Towels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2019, 07:54 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I like those blue g10 grips!
I was thinking abou a similar pair on my MK IV 22/45.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
These are StonerCNC.com grips. I like their texture as well as the colors available.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:51 AM
Geo

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
steel challenge match

Nice shooting! Knocking that much time off in one match is quite an accomplishment. A pistol that functions well is a real asset when shooting steel challenge. Glad to see yours is running so well. Good luck in the future. George
Old 02-22-2019, 05:54 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
What did it have to go to Volquartsen for? Were there issues with your build?
I'm curious because I just ordered a MK IV LLV to build my own pistol on a MK IV 22/45 ower.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=
I had a few brain fades, not loading the gun after inserting the magazine and getting caught after the buzzer went off for the first shot, but other than that the gun ran flawlessly.

![/QUOTE]

It was mental error, not gun malfunctions. The gun worked great.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:38 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
AZShooter's gun went to VQ for a mag catch issue I think and they fixed that. Mine went back the next business day on a Target frame for rear frame fitment in the latching area. Both of our guns have been virtually flawless now for about a year and a half each. I bought a takeoff 22/45 frame recently to use my original taper barrel upper with. Swapped the VQ upper to that, and zero issues there as well.

The good thing to know is, if there is some little fitment issue on your LLV when you get it, email VQ and they will make it right at no cost to you other than maybe a couple weeks time. But it will be amazing when you get it back if that ever happened to be the case. VQ and TacSol both are just on another level in the customer service aspect. They do stuff at times that they shouldn't even have to do, with no questions asked. Their stuff is pricey, but you kind of get what you pay for.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:46 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'm hoping the MK IV LLVis a better experience than my Mk III LLV. The MK III flavor purchased on clearence last month is loose to the point it rattles on two MK III frames. I've emailed Volquartsen twice and called once (left a message.) for guidance in the last two weeks. So far no return love.
Not what expected from them at all.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:15 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As Flash 80 said, I did have to send it back to Volquartsen early on. It was jamming quite regularly and I thought it was better to have them look at it. I called and was told to send it back. They paid shipment both ways.

They ended up replacing the mag catch. This brought the magazines up a bit when loaded. They were a little loose before that. Now the magazines are secure and I've put over 20K rounds through the gun without a jam.

Most of that shooting is with Eley Practice and CCI SV. It also works great with Blazer.

I send e-mails but always follow up with a call and make sure I get the person's name. I get better service that way.

My gun came back in less than a week from Volquartsen. Mine may be the exception but you just can't beat their service.

The LLV seems to not have been made for the 22/45 Lite but they stood by it.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:35 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
As Flash 80 said, I did have to send it back to Volquartsen early on. It was jamming quite regularly and I thought it was better to have them look at it. I called and was told to send it back. They paid shipment both ways.

They ended up replacing the mag catch. This brought the magazines up a bit when loaded. They were a little loose before that. Now the magazines are secure and I've put over 20K rounds through the gun without a jam.

Most of that shooting is with Eley Practice and CCI SV. It also works great with Blazer.

I send e-mails but always follow up with a call and make sure I get the person's name. I get better service that way.

My gun came back in less than a week from Volquartsen. Mine may be the exception but you just can't beat their service.

The LLV seems to not have been made for the 22/45 Lite but they stood by it.

I agree they generally have great CS. I got sub par results with accuracy kit installs on two early / pre recall MK IV's and they told me to send them the guns to see if they could figure it out ( no charge). THey ended up replacing some of their own parts with updated versions and got them straightened out. I'm very pleased with that transaction.

I'll try calling a second time soon.
Meanwhile, you have me thinking. I'm now wondering if my MK III/ 22/45 frame came off a 22/45 lite or a target? ( I bought the bare frame off the net.) I've heard rumors there is a difference between the two. Maybe it's in the lug? Wonder if the lug is replaceable.
May just resell the MK III LLV (which was bought on a whim anyway.) I just ordered a MK IV LLV and am going to persue that build in the short term. I'm pretty confident that one will go togeather.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:31 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Mark III frames will not work on a Mark IV. The three doesn't have the button removal or the swing out latch in font.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:10 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
The Mark III frames will not work on a Mark IV. The three doesn't have the button removal or the swing out latch in font.
I understand that. I have a Mk III 22/45 frame for my MK III LLV and a MK IV 22/45 frame for the (now backordered) MK IV LLV.

BTW, I just heard back from Volquartsen. They are going to send me a lable to ship them the MK III Components for fitment. Can't ask for better than that. Hope they can resolve this. The fit is't even close.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:31 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ruger's tolerances with their receiver lug height evidently suck. Two gunbroker frames here. The black/silver one ended up with a low lug that seats extremely firm (like rubber mallet required firm). The brown one has a super high lug that the receiver will fall off if you aren't holding it when you put it together. Surprisingly though, it doesn't move once its all captured by the mainspring. I had it shimmed for the past year, but I haven't had the shims in the for the last couple months. None of this fitment seems to have any ill effect on how it shoots, shimmed or not.