Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:13 PM
headhunter2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Again Sav22 my thanks. I spoke to a couple of gunsmiths who both said the crack is repairable. But unless the other parts are found not worth the cost. - Bill
Old 06-20-2019, 05:56 PM
headhunter2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well another M at auction

Sales details

[QUOTE]MOSSBERG , MODEL: PUMP ACTION ,
CALIBER: 22 LR , BORE IS FAIR, BLADE FRONT SIGHT, U NOTCH REAR SIGHT, BLUED OCTAGONAL BARREL, GROOVED FOREND, SMOOTH BUTT STOCK WITH MISSING BUTT PLATE, INNER MAGAZINE TUBE IS MISSING, ACTION DOES NOT WORK, SHOWS LIGHT RUST SPECKLING BADLY MARKED AND WORN , ACTION: PUMP ACTION RIFLE , BARREL LENGTH: 24" , CONDITION: PARTS GUN , STOCK # , SERIAL # 30532 ,[/QUOTE

Hope this one has the parts I need. If not it will be an expensive parts gun. Somebody also wanted it bad so more than doubled the price. I don't know anyone my way that has a Model M never mind 2 of them. I may need to wait a week or more to receive it. The auction has 4 sessions (this was #2) and the last one is this weekend. The site usually takes a few days to organize the shipping. It will be coming from Ontario to BC.
- Bill
Old 06-20-2019, 07:37 PM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Will be a great project Headhunter. I'll be following the updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 11:34 AM
headhunter2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Picture of 2nd Model M

Sure hope I can make one out of the 2. Ser # of first is 286xx and this one is 305xx. Hope parts are the same. - Bill
Old 06-27-2019, 11:39 PM
yatzee982
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
95% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter2 View Post

Sure hope I can make one out of the 2. Ser # of first is 286xx and this one is 305xx. Hope parts are the same. - Bill

Good Luck !!

I have a well worn one as well Ser#375XX. I think I gave $50 in trade for it locally here on another deal. It's a very kool wall hanger. I shot it once with a short and won't try that again. Has a partial Wisconsin Hunting Tag on it from the 60's ...all around kool.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:04 AM
headhunter2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finally got notice today for a Canada Post tracking number so should have it by end of next week. This one cost me dear but may make a good one and a wall hanger from the 2. I am just looking at it like parts always cost more than the rifle.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:03 AM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bill, if you weren't in Canada I might have been able to help with some parts, I think there are a lot of restrictions on shipping any gun parts out of the USA now. I bought out a couple large groups of 22 pump parts and have an accumulation of the more common parts, unfortunately the lots included few to none of the parts that always seemed to break on these. I probably have a dozen or more bolts but only one or two with a firing pin and very few with both extractors.

I have found the Mossberg marked guns to be much harder to find than the Premier marked version of the Model M made for Montgomery Wards or their predecessor, the Meriden Model 15. A couple large collections of 22's just sold recently and I was able to upgrade my Model K's and also got a good Premier with the "PAT'D" stamp on the barrel, not all had this - but no Model M's in either collection..... but each had a Model S! In the one auction the Model K, which was in really great shape, brought over twice what the Model S did, it was not as good of condition and had a repaired crack on the forearm, but still was rather nice, I don't think anyone other than me knew just how scarce those are and it was listed wrong as a Model C.

Last edited by Sav22; 06-28-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:08 AM
n64atlas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The reason these get beat up is high speed ammo. They were made before high speed ammo came out. All .22 lrs made before the 1930's should use standard speed ammo
Old 06-28-2019, 11:56 AM
headhunter2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sav22 - I know about the cross border problems as I have parts that are often needed on your side but can not ship. This is a political problem created by a previous Canadian government (liberal). Your government had offered a less restrictive deal to NATO members bui was rejected on our side.

I can see where the Model S was labelled Model C. The S in pictures I have seen looks more like a C. Also both Model Ms were listed just as Mossberg pumps. - Bill
Old 06-29-2019, 09:47 PM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter2 View Post
I can see where the Model S was labelled Model C. The S in pictures I have seen looks more like a C. Also both Model Ms were listed just as Mossberg pumps. - Bill
Bill,

I now have three Model S's - one left blank after 'MODEL' in the barrel stamp and the other two used a broken stamp where the connection between the top & bottom curve of the 'S' is broken off leaving two small unconnected curves that do look kind of like a 'C'... or maybe a '8'... or maybe a '3' …but actually more like just a couple squiggle marks! I think a lot of the early round barrel guns used the same stamp without a model letter, with that being added later by hand, some of the Model K's really look like the 'K' was added separate. They used a different stamp for the octagon barrels on the M's that does not include the model.

With the recent upgrades I now think I have reasonable condition examples of all the variations of Meriden & Mossberg pumps (at least what I'm aware of)... leaving me some duplicate examples that are really rough.

-early Meriden Model 15 with different receiver joints and a curved extension on he front of the lifter that functioned as the cartridge stop, serial number under 500.
-late Meriden Model 15 with improved receiver joints and a separate cartridge stop (examples as high as 24880)
-factory engraved Meriden Model 15
-early Model K with the same receiver design as the late Meriden Model 15's, (examples as high as 26150)
-late Model K with the Mossberg design changes to the receiver to use a different action lock and cartridge stop, (examples as low as 26860)
-Model S (examples as low as 26840 all with the updated receiver)
-Model M (376xx with the later bolt design using stamped sheetmetal extractors)
-Premier also marked "PAT'D", early bolt (3020x)
-Premier with out "PAT'D", late bolt (3738x)

Last edited by Sav22; 06-29-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:43 PM
headhunter2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info Sav22. I will know more about mine when I get it and after asking more questions here. - Bill
Old 07-03-2019, 11:58 PM
headhunter2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 2nd "M" arrived today

Bottom one in the above pics is the 2nd one.

It looks at first glance that I can make one out of the 2 but will know tomorrow.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:20 AM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bill, have you checked the stock number on the second gun? I am again surprised to see another straight grip stock on an M.

It looks to me that you will be able to complete one of them, I see one was missing the lifter and one was missing the bolt and one appears to have a 'custom' safety. Both look to be in very respectable condition, good luck getting one going.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:30 AM
headhunter2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes Sav22 the stock is numbered 532 which matches the serial number. The first one has a different number to its serial number but the this one one matches. I put the bolt in the first one and it functions but the second (#30532) is in better shape. I will need to change the safety, inner mag tube, butt plate, and lifter to it. But first is a good cleaning and thorough checking out. Also will have a couple gunsmiths check to make sure I don't miss something. - Bill
Old 07-05-2019, 11:23 AM
headhunter2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I tried to make the second one the good one but the post for the hammer lock appears to be too high and causes the carrier to bind. As I have family commitments for a week or so. I probably won't get to it for a couple of weeks now. I did put the first one together and will test it for function later today. - Bill