Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:23 AM
mdco2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First Heavy

So I'm joining the group with my first heavy barreled rifle ever. Got a good deal on an older used 10/22 target (has the aluminum trigger guard). The stock was well loved to put it lightly. Scope that came on it was is a bsa tmd 4-14 30mm tube.

I had to fill the laminated stock in with some wood putty and sand it flush. Yes there were some big gouges in the stock. Hit it with 2 coats of white primer and then some rustoleum textured paint. After the first coat I decided I liked the white showing through so I let it go. Hit it with a matte clear coat and done.

I put in my polymer trigger from my carbine as I ordered a kidd trigger job kit and it is recommended for the poly assembly. I tape bedded the rear of the receiver and the trigger housing. The trigger I put in it was worked by me years ago and is about 3.5 pounds.

I shot it as is informally in the back yard at 25 yards with aguila standard velocity and was getting groups in the high 2's low 3's. More testing to come.

I have the kidd trigger parts on the way. Probably going to free float the barrel and shim it. Also looking at possibly getting a new scope. I also might eventually send it of to CPC and have the bolt and barrel worked on, but that would be down the road a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180320_100030_1521555762983.jpg (357.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:49 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Nice. They are fun to build. The rifle looks great, the games are fun.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:56 AM
mdco2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I already have some of the game targets printed out. Don't know how well I will do but there is only one way to find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2018, 11:50 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you can , try some low end Ely Target or SK standard plus. They may shrink the groups a little. I had a OEM T barrel that I replaced with a Kidd. It shot those good, but really liked the SK Rifle Match. It made the 1/4', No Bull, and Tack Driver with the factory T barrel .

Have fun.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:00 AM
mdco2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got the kidd trigger job kit installed and took it out on Friday for a test run. Worked flawlessly. I shot the 1/4 inch game and got a .45 average with aguila standard velocity. I know it's better than that because of the conditions. Sub 30 degrees. Shot with heavy gloves on. 15 plus mph winds and 10 inches of snow. Terrible weather for a day on the range but I had to get it out and test it.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:49 PM
plinker4life
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
As mentioned above...try SK standard. If it is below 55 F keep it warm in you pocked before you shoot. SK standard is some pretty good ammo to get a idea of what you can do but it does not like cold weather. Norma Tac .22 is good one to try too.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:50 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I totally agree on suggested ammo. Nice rifle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 04-19-2018, 07:54 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdco2 View Post
Probably going to free float the barrel and shim it.
The only 2 barrels I have that dont like a pressure point are my SS kidd bull barrels. My SS factory ruger carbine barrel and all my chromoly barrels (with exception of the 2 chromoly kidd bull barrels i had that didnt like anything) have liked a pressure point, including my walther banks. But the SS just wont shoot well like that, so they are floated; sort of. I have support from the receiver forward on them for a few inches with some bicycle inner tube. I use the aluminum tape on the receiver to help support the action. Works like a charm.

Last edited by Clem-E; 04-19-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:08 PM
mdco2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Clem I'm not sure I understand the point of the aluminum tape around the take down. Can you please explain it to me. Do you have a pillar installed? What is the max torque the factory laminated stock can handle without a pillar?
Old 04-29-2018, 07:01 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Do not think of it as "max torque". We use torque to tune for accuracy. ALL the rifles I have built shot best with 18 to 22 inch pounds on the take down. Note again that is INCH POUNDS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk