Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:21 PM
gokyo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington 121 finally running great And a Warning

So I got this Remington 121 as a basket case. It was all apart and some of the parts where missing.

The most important part was the missing breech bolt.

With a lot of searching and some hard work including ebay auction disappointment I finally sourced a breech bolt.

The one I finally found was a stripped bolt.
So I ordered parts from Numerich.
Extractor claw, spring, plunger. and firing pin, spring and retainer pin.

However right away after getting the new parts installed there where problems.

I finally got the extractor to kind of work but not well. I finally decided that maybe the reproduction extractor claw from numerich was the problem.

I bought an New Old Stock extractor claw and a stock plunger. The extractor claw is very different then the Numerich reproduction. After some work, I was finally able to get the stock extractor installed. It works perfectly.

Super happy that my Remington 121 made in 1937 ( the same year my dad was born) is working again.

However on the road to getting it running I learned some hard lessons about finding parts for a Remington 121.

Here is the warning.
1. The firing pin reproduction sold at Numerich is too soft. The hammer peens the firing pin over and it gets stuck in the breech block. This makes it impossible to chamber a round because the firing pin gets stuck in a forward (ejector) position.

2. 1/2 of the the firing pin tip broke the first time it hit a brass case.

2. The reproduction extractor does not work well at all in my early Remington 121.

3. The Reproduction extractor plunger from Numerich is not compatible with stock extractor claws.

4. The reproduction extractor spring is too long for the stock extractor and plunger.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:18 AM
JudgeColt
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I too have a 100% failure rate from Numerich. No part I have ever bought there was correct or worked as it should. Jack First is a better source for better parts.