Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:21 PM
bob finger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
CCI SV

A good many 41 owners espouse the "fact" that S&W designed the 41 around CCI SV ammo. What is the rest of the story?

CCI was founded in the early 1950's. The 41 design was essentially done in the late 1940's but not introduced for sale until 1957.

CCI introduced their MiniMag in 1963, too late for model 41 development.

Most .22 rf ammo from the 40's and 50's was what we now know as standard velocity (SV)

Today a good many ammo manufacturers produce SV ammo, CCI being one. But HV and higher stuff is also readily available. Even Eley has started to offer HV ammo and their reputation is is built on mostly SV stuff.

None of this proves anything. Designing the 41 for CCI SV seems an old wives tale. Designing for SV ammo makes perfect sense. bob
Old 01-14-2018, 11:15 PM
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hadn't heard that one.
I did hear that S&W used CCI-SV to test M-41s, however.
Could be some gun writer's observation. Or not.
M-41s in general tend to like CCI-SV though.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:56 AM
Mountain Man
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So, what's your point? The fact that most 41 owners use CCI SV has nothing to do with whether the gun was designed for it but IS based on the fact that many 41's perform flawlessly with CCI SV and not so well with many others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2018, 09:37 AM
bob finger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My point was an attempt to dispel an internet rumor or old wives tale about the 41 being designed for CCI SV . Anything else taken from the post is conjecture or opinion of the reader.

I burn a lot of CCI SV, and some other SV ammo in my pistols. bob
Old 01-15-2018, 02:34 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
CCI does use the S&W 41 for testing 22 ammo,
Old 01-17-2018, 09:42 AM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
CCI SV works very well in my 41. It is certainly good enough for 6" plate work at 50 yards with very little problems. Does seem to function very well, seems to keep the pistol cleaner (read "function") for extended use at the range. That's my experience. However, I have shot my best groups at 25 yards with SK+. The downside using SK+ is a very simple fact.... the pistol gets dirty much quicker than it does with CCI SV, and for all the "thrifty folks" out there, the CCI SV is much less expensive. No doubt, the SK+ is much nastier stuff than the CCI SV. Yep, I'll keep using the CCI SV as long as it is available. Not a problem. Love my M41 and like to keep it happy. Even if CCI SV wasn't recommended for the 41, it should be. ...... AH
Old 01-25-2018, 01:28 AM
DaveHH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I bought my 41 from Maj Hank Bires in 1980 inside the Pachmeyer box was a lot of boxes of 22 most 10-20 years old. Most were Winchester EXPERT . Apparently that what they used. I would suspect that the Army bought his 22 as well as his hardball. "Range 1 mile, be careful" on the tab.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:11 AM
GaryWWhite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI SV

All I've read that CCI SV "is the go to" round for the Mod. 41 even for match ammo. So I bought a brick of 500 to see how it might work. I have a new Mod. 41 which I haven't shot yet and will give you my impressions once fired.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:33 PM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From what I have experienced in the last few years CCI ammo, whether std or hv .22 ammo is better than the other ammo (Rem, FED, Win) produced in the USA. 30 years ago I thought Win was the best but not so anymore. Win is no better than Rem, not as good as Fed.
Sad.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:53 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For these blowback operated guns it is a balancing act for perfect operation. The recoil energy in the slide should be exactly balanced against the energy to cycle the slide, overcome the slide's inertia and friction, cock the hammer, and compress the recoil spring. If it is balanced then the slide will just kiss the recoil stop of the frame. Shoot more powerful ammo and the excess energy beats up the slide stop and the frame. Use less powerful ammo and the slide does not completely cycle, maybe not cocking the hammer or picking up a new round to chamber.

No doubt the Model 41 was designed for Standard Velocity ammo. (Obviously the design of the gun could not have been based on CCI SV because the history timing is all wrong.) But some have been re-sprung for High Velocity ammo. It is false economy to run High or Hype Velocity ammo in a Model 41 sprung for Standard Velocity ammo because it will be hard on the gun.

I universally use CCI SV for all my match grade 22LR guns. While I find Wolf Match Target more accurate by a small amount, the CCI is the most accurate, reliable, readily available, least expensive ammo I can find to buy.

LDBennett
Old 04-18-2018, 06:35 PM
GaryWmWhite
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

I live in Lees Summit, MO. It is a suburb of Kansas City, MO
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I haven't shot my brick yet but had some FT Eject during some of the shooting. Obviously the gun needs to be broken in. I did order a Ultradot Matchdot 2 red dot for the pistol as my aging eyes definitely need the help. I'm going to put this pistol to work in Bullseye, NRA Action and Steel Challenge. I got it to shoot!!
Old 04-20-2018, 10:12 PM
22shooters

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have never seen a statement from SW saying to use sv only . My 1st 41 was circa 1978, tried all the Wolff springs and the only sv that would work was Elley Sport and I would get 1 or 2 fte per 50 rounds . 2000 rounds and it never broke in . My current 41 is circa 1973 . With a 6.5 lb spring it will cycle CCI standard . I shoot with several people who use the 41 . Half of them use mini mags so their guns will cycle . I'm very fond of my 41 but the ones I've been around are finicky . If they are designed to use standard velocity , why do I have to run a reduced spring to get reliable function. I currently have a 1979 model in possession. New in box . The empty test rounds in the box are federal. Does federal make a standard velocity?
Old 05-09-2018, 02:11 PM
skoda

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Federal does produce .22 SV ammo, although I generally use CCI
SV, I still occasionally use Federal Target(similar mv) in my 41.
Regards