Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:35 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Recommendations for Rimfire AO scope

This spring I will likely buy an adjustable objective scope for a 10/22. I would like to keep the cost at $200 or below. I am considering adjustable magnification scopes in the 2-7 or 3-9 range primarily, but would consider a fixed magnification scope of 4X or so, if such a thing exists.

I am not terribly scope savvy. I have a couple of Nikon scopes and like the color and clarity so the Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 is an obvious candidate, but I am not sure about the reticle. I am aware of the UTG Bugbuster AO scope.

The Weavers, Leupold, and Vortex scopes with AO all seem to be a bit pricier than I would like. Are there some other candidates I should be considering?

If you have an AO rimfire scope that you really like that is on the budget end of the price spectrum, please comment.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:40 AM
wpd410
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
This spring I will likely buy an adjustable objective scope for a 10/22. I would like to keep the cost at $200 or below. I am considering adjustable magnification scopes in the 2-7 or 3-9 range primarily, but would consider a fixed magnification scope of 4X or so, if such a thing exists.

I am not terribly scope savvy. I have a couple of Nikon scopes and like the color and clarity so the Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 is an obvious candidate, but I am not sure about the reticle. I am aware of the UTG Bugbuster AO scope.

The Weavers, Leupold, and Vortex scopes with AO all seem to be a bit pricier than I would like. Are there some other candidates I should be considering?

If you have an AO rimfire scope that you really like that is on the budget end of the price spectrum, please comment.

Bushnell A17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 10:24 AM
Signalman1

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
How about a Weaver RV-9 scope (3-9x) with A/O...I had my Weaver Grand Slam 4-16x scope on this rifle and put the RV-9 just to see how it would look the rings are to high for this model.

here is what my rifle normally wears my GS 4-16x scope that is only 11 1/2" long...so it fits with some power to it...the A/O adjust down to 25 yards

Good luck on your quest

Signalman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2018, 10:29 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hawkes are worth checking out.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:30 AM
Rat458
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I took many peoples advice here and purchased a Mueller APV for my 10/22.
Does every thing I ask of it and it was reasonably priced.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:24 AM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are considering 2X7 you are not planning on long range shooting obviously. That being the case I would recommend you only consider scopes that have a parallax setting that goes down to very close ranges. While I can not recommend the Bug Buster as I have never owned one they adjust to very close range. Another thing to consider is the manufacturers warranty. I know you are on a budget but if you buy a quality optic with a lifetime warranty you will only buy it once. If you are looking for something cheap and fun to play around with you might want to check out the BSA line of scopes. They have models with adjustable parallax as well as exposed turrets and an assortment of turret caps for different velocity bullets. I looked at these a few months ago but ended up getting a Leupold VX2-4X12AO.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:43 PM
Moedum1

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
One of the better low priced scopes I've looked through is the Simmons 22 Mag 3-9 x 32 AO rimfire scope. I bought one for my grandson's .22 rifle at Christmas. I think it was $59.00 at Midway. The rings that come with it aren't worth using but I thought the scope itself was pretty nice.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:57 PM
Soonerbob
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
" would consider a fixed magnification scope of 4X or so, if such a thing exists."

BSA makes a 4x with AO down to 7.5yds. It actually goes somewhat below the 7.5 but that is the lowest marking.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:58 PM
godale
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedum1 View Post
One of the better low priced scopes I've looked through is the Simmons 22 Mag 3-9 x 32 AO rimfire scope. I bought one for my grandson's .22 rifle at Christmas. I think it was $59.00 at Midway. The rings that come with it aren't worth using but I thought the scope itself was pretty nice.

I can second that !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 01:09 PM
Hobbiest

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
What are you doing with it at what ranges? The nikon you mentioned Ive never seen but I think the reviews say it has a fine reticle. Just a personal thought not held by all-dont see the point in a 4X fixed when there are so many variable scopes that are decent in your price. Why limit yourself?

Last edited by Hobbiest; 01-01-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:59 PM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have several AO scopes, all but one of which was within your $200 or less price range.

Mueller APV 2-7x32 AO - Bought new at intro price of $110. An OK scope, but the crosshairs were thicker than I liked even for my informal target shooting. It would be fine for hunting though.

Nikon 3-9x40 Target EFR - Bought new when Cabela's had them on sale last year for $140. Too good to pass up at that price. Very bright, clear, and I like the target dot with the finer crosshairs. It is bigger & heavier than most of my other scopes, but fits nicely on the RAR 22WMR.

Weaver V9 3-9x38 AO - Bought used for $75, another too good to pass up deal. Good glass, nice crosshairs, fairly slim and works nicely on my Marlin XT22M.

Weaver Grand Slam 3-12x42 - Bought new when Natchez had them on sale for $200. Nice glass, love the side focus, should have bought two at that price. Weighs a bit more than the Nikon.

i have one Leupold VX-1 3-9x33 EFR scope, which is very popular, but it is way outside your price range. Nice scope, but...
Old 01-01-2018, 05:03 PM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the recommendations, all. I have spent several hours researching the various recommendations, some of which I was completely unfamiliar with.

To clarify my intentions, I would be mounting this on a largely stock Ruger 10/22 carbine with stock taper barrel that has not been accuratized in any way, thus far. I would likely be shooting this at 25-50 yard distances and it is unlikely that I would ever go beyond a 100 yard range. I do not intend to hunt with it, so a finer reticle should not be a problem, so long as I can see it. Among other things, I would use it for Appleseed events. I do not plan to be using it in very dim light conditions. My eyes are pretty old, however, so a decent exit pupil would be nice.

I would only consider a fixed power scope over a variable magnification scope if I found that would allow me to buy a scope of much higher quality for the same price. Thus far, it looks as if there are a lot of reasonable options within the 3-9X range give or take a bit.

I was completely unaware of Mueller and Hawke scopes and was happy to get those recommendations.

Thus far my list of candidates goes something like this:

Lower-priced candidates:

Simmons 22 MAG Rimfire 3-9x32 AO
BSA Sweet .22 3-9x40
UTG Bugbuster 3-9x32 various models with AO

Mid-priced candidates:

Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Mueller APV AO 2-7x32
Mueller APV AO 4.5-14x40
Hawke Vantage 2-7x32 AO
Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 AO
Nikon 3-9x40 Target EFR
Weaver 3-9x32

Thus far, I am leaning toward one of the following:

Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 AO
Nikon 3-9x40 Target EFR
Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36

The Weaver 3-9x32 also looks very nice. A bit above what I was looking to pay, but perhaps I can find a deal.

I really like the looks of the mil-dot reticle on the Hawke scope. I have not found great utility in the BDC reticles I have used thus far.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:12 PM
targetsmoker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
check out the vortex crossfire ii in 4-12x with ao.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:24 PM
wagon
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
Recommendations for Rimfire AO scope

One of the sub $200 I like a lot is Vortex Diamondback 4-12x AO with dead hold reticle. AO comes all the way down to 10 yds.

I have seen them NIB at $170 on eBay .... in fact, where and what I paid for my 3rd one.

Do not mix up with the non-AO version.

If you insist on 2-7x, I have a Diamondback HP 2-7x side focus, min AO is 25 yds. But it is more than $200.

Happy shopping.

Last edited by wagon; 01-01-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:36 PM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Mueller Optics 2-7x32 APV AO is on sale for $105.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/mueller...iflescope.html